bad accident car

There's a place near work that stores vehicles for evidence. Once to twice a week they get a real wreck in, or maybe out, I haven't checked which. I'll see these when I leave for the day. I used to describe these to the wife, but a photo does them justice. Previous one looked worse, but I couldn't stop to take a photo of it.
I did some enhancement/magnification of the car to make it easier to see.
smashed_car.jpg

Yea, now that I look again, Accord didn't have pull door handles that year. They were flush pull out style.

Whenever I see these bad accidents or pictures thereof, I question if I really need to make that pointless trip or should I just stay home...

If you think about it, driving is quite possibly the most danger you regularly subject yourself to that could be instantly life ending or seriously altering. Weigh that against your next frivolous drive...

Whenever I see these bad accidents or pictures thereof, I question if I really need to make that pointless trip or should I just stay home...

If you think about it, driving is quite possibly the most danger you regularly subject yourself to that could be instantly life ending or seriously altering. Weigh that against your next frivolous drive...

Problem is that for plenty of us, driving is an enjoyable thing to do as opposed to just a necessity. I refuse to sit at home and worry about what might happen all my life. If I want to go for a drive, so be it. I can only control myself so I keep my eyes open and drive within my and my vehicle's ability and let the chips fall where they may.

My wife, on the other hand, driving is just a way to get somewhere. If she could teleport, she would.

OP - thanks for the photo, it's a good reminder of what could happen.
In the late 60's, cars in accidents would have two circular smashes in the windshield where peoples heads hit it.

When I was young, my Brothers and I used to lay on the platform under the back window.
When my Father would stop, it was fun to go flying off onto the back seat.

Now today, it's a different story .... and for the better.

Watch a few crash test videos. Many small cars do quite well. This car is nearly 20 years old, safety has vastly improved since then.
The issue is when a big vehicle hits a small car. The small car doesn't do well at all in that scenario, no matter how new.
Given the move to trucks and SUVs, that will happen more often going forward.
In Canada, cars are less than 20% of new car sales.

I picked this link at random, but google will pull up many hits saying the same thing.

Might also add, BEV vehicles are heavier aswell, so will equally wreak havoc on a lighter car regardless if it's a sedan or compact crossover.

Not for this hit they don't. Would you have preferred to be in the back seat of an SUV or truck ?
Rear end collision is something that is tested on many sedans and smaller cars. Again, most score well. In a rear end collision I can see large SUV's and Trucks having the advantage because they have 6 or more feet between the rear most point of the vehicle and the back seat. Having said that not all collisions are rear end collisions. I'd say most sedans outperform trucks in frontal offset crashes (which can do a lot of damage on the human body).

By any chance are these stunt cars for Hollywood? I ask because I ran into a similar scenario years ago and come to find out it was a storage facility for a company that does special effects for the film industry.

At first I thought maybe they loaned them out to M.A.D.D. high-school displays. I looked them up; they store evidence.

I'm paying more attention to what shows up in the lot because that seems to be what I do. Too early to see any patterns. But from what I remember they looked peeled from a commercial-sized vehicle, or, T-boned enough to lose the width of a seat.
If you enjoy driving, it's easy enough to always plan an escape path for the first, and avoid the setup for the second. That may sound harsh, but I've ridden for 25 years and both those are fatal, so I spent effort avoiding them.

The issue is when a big vehicle hits a small car. The small car doesn't do well at all in that scenario, no matter how new.
Given the move to trucks and SUVs, that will happen more often going forward.
In Canada, cars are less than 20% of new car sales.

I picked this link at random, but google will pull up many hits saying the same thing.

You would be surprised. My wife and daughter took a rear end hit from a fully loaded E350 box van a few years ago and came out well, all things considered. This was them stopped at a redlight and the estimated speed at impact was 40mph, offset. Now, had there been a rear-seat passenger, they would have been hurt, but probably still survived. And that was a 20 year old car.

IMG_20190812_163131.jpg

You would be surprised. My wife and daughter took a rear end hit from a fully loaded E350 box van a few years ago and came out well, all things considered. This was them stopped at a redlight and the estimated speed at impact was 40mph, offset. Now, had there been a rear-seat passenger, they would have been hurt, but probably still survived. And that was a 20 year old car.
You can find exceptions to pretty well anything.

Back