BackUp Sump/Battery Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing my main sump pump soon (quality Zoeller M63) and got a hair up my rear that I should also install a battery backup pump also. It's a utility basement (not finished), we have about one event every 5 years that requires clean up (never more than an inch) , usually from some type of pump "incident" situation (i.e., mouse clog, failed breaker, etc.). "Gray water" goes into the sump also (don't ask). In this instance, the backup is really for convenience (no cleanup) and is not super critical like in a susceptible flood zone/finished basement. I question that I even need backup, let alone a $1,000+ unit.

I studied Sump Pumps Direct site and Amazon reviews (I know). I educated myself about AGM deep cycle battery care here: http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0139.pdf (EXCELLENT READ)

Any knowledgeable advice appreciated??:
- Prices range from $150 - $1,300+, sans battery. More $$$ gets better components and wifi notification.
- In my sub $500 (total)range, component quality seems inconsistent: pump vs. switch vs. battery charger vs. audible alarm. Can't seem to get all 4 excellent.
- Many recommend an AGM deep cycle battery while some say either AGM/Flooded deep cycle is o.k..

AGM deep cycle batteries recommend sophisticated charging. Flooded deep cycle batteries are more forgiving, but vent gas, etc.. Some AGM sump kits only come with a 1-2 amp wall wart charger. Some sump kits have a "better" charger, but a cheap looking bilge style pump.

I need help figuring out a "good enough for my circumstances" system at a value priced cost. Again, pump, switch, charger, alarm, and battery are the components. I'm mostly confused about pump quality and especially battery/charger choices. Kleenex brand kits are Zoeller, Liberty, Wayne, Glentronics (Watchdog/PHCC).

Whew! Thank you.

Flooded deep cycle batteries will give you less headaches over the long run.

Gases aren't the problem people sometimes make them out to be.

Be SURE (very, very sure!) to have the cells equalized at least once a year.

Probably go with a Zoeller pump. Have had excellent service from them. Reliable, good quality etc...

For a battery you can get a Rural King AGM Exide battery for around $130. Not sure about the other components.

I have a Basement Watchdog hooked up to a Duracell Deep Cycle battery from Sam's Club.
It has done everything that I have ever needed it too.

There's a sump pump that runs off your city water pressure. Stupid, as it vents as much city water as sump water but may work in your instance. Keep the electric sump pump you have but dig another hole and put one of these in.

You could rotate your old car battery into the system. One flood every five years will have your flooded batteries give one or two storms' worth of service before retiring.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There's a sump pump that runs off your city water pressure. Stupid, as it vents as much city water as sump water but may work in your instance. Keep the electric sump pump you have but dig another hole and put one of these in.

Yes and it hikes your water bill pretty good also. Esp if the thing gets stuck and doesn't shut itself off. I had a cat that was yanking on the string that was connected the float. I would come home from work and hear water running. Had a few months worth of high water bills. I think around $70 or so when normally it was $23/mo. When talking to the city about it they said it could be a water leak which would involve digging to find the leak. She also said someone left for Florida for a few months and returned with a stuck water activated pump. Their bill was $900 or so.

I have a Wayne 1/2 HP backup sump pump. About $350 at Home Depot. It's both a primary and backup pump. It seems to have a more powerful backup pump than most others.

I have it connected to a Costco group 27 deep cycle battery. When my house was under construction, before the electric company had installed the service, I was using two 150W solar panels and a charge controller to power it.

It worked and kept the basement from flooding, operating only off the 12V backup pump for several months. It took the electric company a while to get the power to my new house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back