Backup my hard drive then recover it onto new OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to upgrade my computer from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. I know I need to backup all my data but I don't know the best program or way to do it. I'd like to be able to backup all my data then be able to recover it into my new installation of Windows 7 without losing any data.

Or drag and drop them onto an external hard drive if you aren't comfortable with Win 7 backup.

Originally Posted By: 55
I want to upgrade my computer from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. I know I need to backup all my data but I don't know the best program or way to do it. I'd like to be able to backup all my data then be able to recover it into my new installation of Windows 7 without losing any data.

Does your computer have a 64 bit processor?

It does (Core 2 Duo T7250). This thing originally came with Vista 32 bit, then I upgraded to Windows 7 32 bit. I'm starting to get some software related errors now so I think a format and reinstall with Win7 64 bit is in order

how much ram do you have.

if 4gb or less you wont see much difference..

Also what are you trying to backup?

you cant backup programs or windows.(to move to a fresh win7 install)

pretty much just downloads and data files.
or programs that dont install..

Windows Easy Transfer will do exactly what you want - that's what it's for. I've used it three or four times and it's great.

Originally Posted By: jaj

Windows Easy Transfer will do exactly what you want - that's what it's for. I've used it three or four times and it's great.

Well not really. It transfers ONLY files and settings from old PC to new PC. I assume OP would like programs transferred also. And he has no old PC.

Best to get a cheap external hard drive, use Windows 7 Backup. Then format and install the new version then copy back from the external hard drive.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Don't expect much performance difference between 32 bit and 64 bit.

In my knowledge of large mainframes (and I have 25 years in at IBM) the actual 64 bit version of an instruction took longer as there is more data to move to process the instruction than on a 32 bit machine.

However there are somethings you can do to gain some efficiency by having a huge address space to store data in vs a 4GB address space.

I believe I read about this app on BITOG. It transfers everything, including downloaded programs. I haven't used it, but looked into it (will be switching from XP to WIndows 7).

pickmeapp.com

Look on the Microsoft website, it says "files and settings". Given the various licensing rules companies have, unsure if you could move all programs from computer A to computer B even if you had a program to do it.

Transferring programs potentially violates some End User Licence Agreements. There is really no way to do it simply, particularly if you're switching from a 32 bit O/S to 64 bit. However, if you're a licensed user of a program, generally you can just reinstall it and keep going.

What I've done is installed the new OS clean, done the Windows Transfer of the settings and files, then re-installed my applications. Generally, it just works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back