Backup camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
On these newer cars with integrated systems, how hard is it to hack 'em?

What I mean is this. I put in a cheapo system in my truck. I have it wired so that if the parking lamps are on, or I'm in reverse, the camera is on. I recently rewired that intentionally, as there have been times where I need to pull forward but watch the rear of the truck so as to line it up. I don't need to watch what's behind me while driving down the road, but, I installed a camera in a trailer also and it's wired the same way. Parking lamps on, camera is active. With the trailer it is nice to see what is going on behind it all the time.

Can these new systems be wired the same way? Or is this already supported? Aux input and ability to force the LCD to be on, that is.

This is a great question, I've wondered the same, but perhaps not as motivated as I imagine it would be difficult with stock displays.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
If you're talking about your 2010 Tundra, I would suggest asking a Toyota Tundra forum. The answer to your question will vary depending on the make/model.

No, I'm wondering what I'll do when I replace that truck. It's a general question, as I don't know what my next vehicle will be. I might not buy another one for 5 years, I might buy one next week--just never know. But with backup cameras now mandated I'm wondering if anyone has messed with them. Or if I am basically going to be forced into replacing or making what I want. Which is ok, I just wanna know up front.

I put in a cheapo system into my Tundra, one that hangs on the rearview mirror. My truck has a smoked rear window, and then the cap has a smoked window also, so the mirror wasn't real useful to begin with. I think I have the camera mounted too low and should think about raising up some day, but it works well enough for now.

I put a back up camera in a box truck which has no direct view of what is behind you. Wired in a switch mounted on the dash that lets you turn it on any time, not just in reverse. Great when you're going down the road and want to see any traffic following you, or if towing, if the trailer is ok.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I put a back up camera in a box truck which has no direct view of what is behind you. Wired in a switch mounted on the dash that lets you turn it on any time, not just in reverse. Great when you're going down the road and want to see any traffic following you, or if towing, if the trailer is ok.

Yeah, I kinda wish I had gone that route. I might do that in the future. For now I tapped power off the reverse and parking lamp circuits, so all I ran was coax. But the coax would allow me to run power, had I wanted to. Just have to rework the wiring.

I have had one or two vehicles with factory camera systems that allow the rearview camera to remain on while moving forward. If I recall, they stayed on until about 5 MPH. There was even a setting in the menu to turn that feature on or off. I think it was a Ford Edge I had that had that feature. Maybe the Chevrolet Traverse, but almost sure it was the Ford.

On my Merc, if I'm going below 15 mph, I can activate the cameras and select whatever view I want regardless of the direction of the travel.

On VW's people complain that after reversing, and putting it into drive to pull forward, the rear camera view doesn't immediately shut off. I find the few second delay a convenience for me.

Originally Posted by supton

What I mean is this. I put in a cheapo system in my truck. I have it wired so that if the parking lamps are on, or I'm in reverse, the camera is on. I recently rewired that intentionally, as there have been times where I need to pull forward but watch the rear of the truck so as to line it up. I don't need to watch what's behind me while driving down the road, but, I installed a camera in a trailer also and it's wired the same way. Parking lamps on, camera is active. With the trailer it is nice to see what is going on behind it all the time.

Can these new systems be wired the same way? Or is this already supported? Aux input and ability to force the LCD to be on, that is.

With our last two RAM's, within uConnect you can simply turn on the camera at any time. It automatically comes on in Reverse. I do not believe there is any accommodation for an aux video input that would display on the main screen while you are going down the road. While I expect that the BD player input could be tapped into, it won't work going down the road.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
With our last two RAM's, within uConnect you can simply turn on the camera at any time. It automatically comes on in Reverse. I do not believe there is any accommodation for an aux video input that would display on the main screen while you are going down the road. While I expect that the BD player input could be tapped into, it won't work going down the road.

Good to know, thanks.

I wonder if one could find the connection point for the camera; I'm guessing there's a connector that goes through the tailgate. Find what the connector types are, and buy two of them, so that a short patch cable can be made. Yeah it'd have to be ordered through the dealer, but then one could make a patch cable, as long as needed. Mount to the side of the bed, out of the way. Use some phonos on the coax and voila! when the trailer is hooked up, just splice in.

*Assuming they are using standard video. If they are doing a digital stream, all bets are off. Although maybe you can just get another OEM camera and jerry-rig a mount.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by supton

How do you turn on the cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back