Backing Up & Restoring Microsoft Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does one go about backing up all of the folders and e-mails in microsoft outlook in order to restore them after microsoft outlook is reinstalled, say after an operating system upgrade or hard drive crash?

Originally Posted By: JD Green
Overk1ll: the OS is XP Pro. I may also want to do the same on another computer running Vista Home Premium.

On XP Pro, enable hidden files.

Go to (assuming your primary drive is c:)

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\

Copy the entire Outlook folder to a CD, flash drive or other form of backup media.

You can restore it by copying it back after you re-install.

For Vista/7, it is in a different location:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft

Same Outlook folder, same process.

Hope that helps!

-Chris

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Gradient
How to manage .pst files in Outlook 2007, in Outlook 2003, and in Outlook 2002 to back up data that you created in Microsoft Office Outlook.

Yes, the long, drawn-out way that is no more effective than the method I've outlined above that I've been using in the industry for more than a decade.

Ah, it's nice to know I can turn to BITOG for up-to-date and factual information concerning my laptop/desktop and related software.

As opposed to my IT person at work.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Gradient
How to manage .pst files in Outlook 2007, in Outlook 2003, and in Outlook 2002 to back up data that you created in Microsoft Office Outlook.

Yes, the long, drawn-out way that is no more effective than the method I've outlined above that I've been using in the industry for more than a decade.

Ah, it's nice to know I can turn to BITOG for up-to-date and factual information concerning my laptop/desktop and related software.

As opposed to my IT person at work.

LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back