Backing into parking places.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
One problem with people backing into parking spaces is that cars usually have a bigger overhang in the rear than they do in the front. If the driver backs in until the rear tires bump into the curb, the car's rear will protrude far into the walkway behind it. That's one of the reasons why many motels have signs that say "Do not back in." There's also the issue of exhaust blowing right at people. Safety is another issue. When you park head-on, you are going with the flow of traffic. If you back in, you have to overshoot the parking space, then back in. Depending on the exact conditions, one method may or may not be safer than the other. In general, I don't have issues backing out of a parking space. I would think that in a location where backing into a place against traffic is possible, meaning little traffic to begin with, backing out should not be any more of an inconvenience.

Back in elementary school, I was told that people of color backed their cars in so that others would know that person was like them and wouldn't steal their fender skirts and hubcaps.

I don't know if that is true.
21.gif
It might have been to mess with the white boy. But sure enough, black parent shows up in a Lincoln, Cadillac, Buick....they would back in.

Given the number of fullsize SUVs with 5% tint on the back windows, I'm not sure that the practice is any safer. You just get the front of your car wrecked instead of the back by a car running 45 through the parking lot.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Back in elementary school, I was told that people of color backed their cars

Haha funny you mention that because when I was that age they were the only ones who ALWAYS backed in parking spaces and I always heard the term " ****** parking" haha.

I usually back the work vehicle in because it has a loud back up alarm. I figure the neighbors would rather hear it at 8 in the evening than at 5:45 in the morning.

During the day it depends more on which is easier in/out.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I don't know if that is true.
21.gif
It might have been to mess with the white boy. But sure enough, black parent shows up in a Lincoln, Cadillac, Buick....they would back in.

That is an interesting observation. There's a predominantly black church on our way home from our church and as I drive by on Sunday around 12:15 when ours gets out (and theirs is still in), I notice that nearly all of their vehicles are backed in. Nearly all of the folks at our church, mostly white, pull in forwards.

Myself, I nearly always back in. I don't see the value of pulling forward into a spot. I think it's far safer to back into an area where there are no moving parts and pieces than try to back out into a parking lot row where people are walking and cars are driving. Both of our vehicles have backup cameras, so I can back in exactly to the parking curb (if there is one), so I'll never overshoot.

The only time I pull forward is when I can pull all the way through and face the next parking row over. That said, I prefer ends of parking lots or physical curbs, so I usually will back into one of those spaces adjacent to a physical barrier.

Yesterday I was with my mom picking up our new fire ring. I got called out for showing on her "new fancy truck".. when in reality had I not backed in, it would have been a chore to get out of. The business is near the busiest 4 way stop in town. School just got out.. its by the post office. There's a restaurant on the opposite corner. etc.

Consensus.. People just need to worry about themselves.

I can see the logic of this at a motel where the factors you describe are in play.

However, other places, not so much.

As you mention, some face the prospect of backing into a heavily trafficked thoroughfare. For those people, backing in to drive out forward makes sense.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
One problem with people backing into parking spaces is that cars usually have a bigger overhang in the rear than they do in the front. If the driver backs in until the rear tires bump into the curb, the car's rear will protrude far into the walkway behind it. That's one of the reasons why many motels have signs that say "Do not back in." There's also the issue of exhaust blowing right at people. Safety is another issue. When you park head-on, you are going with the flow of traffic. If you back in, you have to overshoot the parking space, then back in. Depending on the exact conditions, one method may or may not be safer than the other. In general, I don't have issues backing out of a parking space. I would think that in a location where backing into a place against traffic is possible, meaning little traffic to begin with, backing out should not be any more of an inconvenience.

I have a very hard time getting my truck in the lines when I pull in forward into a parking spot. However with mirrors I can park perfectly by backing in.

It's strongly encouraged by my employer. There's always a big focus on safety, and being able to drive out forwards has been shown to be much safer.

Having said that, if I can pull through a spot in a parking lot into the next spot, better yet. It's not the backing in that's desirable, it's the being able to drive out forwards.

I didn't start until about 20 years ago, but it's second nature now.

The other one we were trained to do is the 360-degree walk-around before getting into the car. We need to plug our vehicles in here in the winter, and the number of vehicles you see with extension cords still attached and being beaten to death is incredible. A walk-around would prevent this.

Pulling out is definitely preferable to backing out, and if there's not a lot of room opposite the space, backing in / pulling out is easier from a maneuvering perspective. I just find it easier too. Usually takes less thought to be centered in the space when backing in.

The reason more people do not back-in, is because they cannot properly drive.

How some folks even passed their Drivers Instructors courses is mind-boggling. Over 50% of the people driving vehicles today are underqualified.

one time I pulled into a parking space, the other guy was pulling into the space in front of me. the guy looked upset, I think he wanted to pull through so he wouldn't have to back up his truck. We got to the parking spots about the same time.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back