Backdoor kill-switches in every car by 2026

it does not fix the problem, but at least you dont have to pay and own car. (expensive)
also in eu people moaning about traffic jams.
but sooo many people driving alone in the cars... one bus can take >40 persons.......
90+ in a regular bus, 150+ in a harmonica. But they would have to be very thin people.

Man, I keep forgetting how many people on this forum are severe technophobes.
Pretty wide range, too.

"I don't want cars to stop me from being a drunk driver" all the way to "Seat belt mandates infringe on my freedumbs"

I'm amazed that no one complained about speed limiters being set to the original speed rating of the tires that were equipped on the car from the factory. "It makes me so mad to be limited to 112 mph in my Buick Rendezvous"

God, I hope all future cars get full 100% autonomous driving, so I don't have to worry about people like you actually operating a car on the road with myself, my family, and friends anymore.

I do understand the one guy who was saying "What if I'm driving on a nice twisty road, having fun?"
I feel for you. Better get your "forever" car, soon.

Man, I keep forgetting how many people on this forum are severe technophobes.
Pretty wide range, too.

God, I hope all future cars get full 100% autonomous driving, so I don't have to worry about people like you actually operating a car on the road with myself, my family, and friends anymore.
This is just sad. A complete misrepresentation and total lack of understanding of the issue at hand.
The core problem is not with the technology but with the government gradually usurping more and more freedoms from individuals under the pretext of "safety" mandates which carry far reaching unintended consequences.

I am not a technophobe by any stretch of the imagination. I work in IT and I love to play with the newest tech both at work and at home. But I would have a major issue with a government mandate to have an "Alexa" device in every room listening to every conversation under the pretext of "safety for all residents."

A backdoor kill switch mandate in cars gets us really close to an Orwellian/Minority Report style dystopia. Unlike seatbelts, airbags or backup cameras, this device will prevent the car from moving. When it fails/malfunctions, as all electronic devices do, it will create life-threatening situations. Think railroad crossings, heavy highway traffic, etc. It's also an open invitation to abuse by criminals and governments. It gives the government a new, huge, unchecked power: to shut down all car traffic at a whim of some idiot politician. I can just see it ... "Public announcement: to ensure compliance with covid-25 quarantine, all personal vehicles are disabled until further notice."

Conspiracy minded people love to blow things out of proportion, because that's how they get the attention they crave from others.

Again, having a car equipped with technology that prevents a drunk driver from starting their car, and driving it, is a benefit to all the rest of us on the road.

You and others ^^^^^^^^

Have a whole heck of a lot more faith in other human beings than I ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever will.

Conspiracy minded people love to blow things out of proportion, because that's how they get the attention they crave from others.

Again, having a car equipped with technology that prevents a drunk driver from starting their car, and driving it, is a benefit to all the rest of us on the road.
Frankly, I’d be more willing to have a brethalyzer or similar thing mandated, then some unknown code, accessible to some unknown entities, to do various things with it at their whim.

The automated part is subject to failure and misinterpretation. The human in the loop part has endless possibility for issues.

I think you dramatically underestimate the number of drivers who view driving as a chore or just something that has to be done - not something to be enjoyed. Particularly on an automotive themed board it's easy to think everyone enjoys driving. Plenty of folks dont.
We should outlaw annoying cars then.

Short anecdote: My brother's ex was a horrible driver. Not aggressive, she just seemed incompetent. Very anxious behind the wheel. Erratic steering and pedal input, stupid last minute decisions, seeing and reacting to other participants in the last second, etc. In short: she seemed completely overwhelmed. She was not at ease, and it showed. Then her Renault Twingo broke down and she got to drive her parents' 1990s E-class. Suddenly that same girl could drive! Calm, considerate, in total control. Do not underestimate how your mental state is affecting your driving. (That's also why you really shouldn't get behind the wheel directly after an emotional situation). Also do not underestimate the effect that a car can have on your mental state. If a car does not put a smile on your face, don't drive it.

Last edited:

What you call "conspiracy" I call "a spoiler".

This is just sad. A complete misrepresentation and total lack of understanding of the issue at hand.
The core problem is not with the technology but with the government gradually usurping more and more freedoms from individuals under the pretext of "safety" mandates which carry far reaching unintended consequences.

I am not a technophobe by any stretch of the imagination. I work in IT and I love to play with the newest tech both at work and at home. But I would have a major issue with a government mandate to have an "Alexa" device in every room listening to every conversation under the pretext of "safety for all residents."

A backdoor kill switch mandate in cars gets us really close to an Orwellian/Minority Report style dystopia. Unlike seatbelts, airbags or backup cameras, this device will prevent the car from moving. When it fails/malfunctions, as all electronic devices do, it will create life-threatening situations. Think railroad crossings, heavy highway traffic, etc. It's also an open invitation to abuse by criminals and governments. It gives the government a new, huge, unchecked power: to shut down all car traffic at a whim of some idiot politician. I can just see it ... "Public announcement: to ensure compliance with covid-25 quarantine, all personal vehicles are disabled until further notice."
The technology already exists to shut down the cars from I'd say 2002 to now. It all started with systems like GM's Onstar system, that can do almost anything a high end scan tool can do. Telematics is so totally integrated into all modern vehicles now, that adding this new system will not be difficult for them to do at all. It will just be a new added black box with a few more sensors, plugged into the same existing CAN system.
But I'm sure there will be a nice huge added cost all get to pay, at purchase time and when it is used by whom ever to disable the vehicle.
All the new cars I suppose are constantly being GPS tracked, and even in the vehicle voice communications monitored as well.
That " C" word means you are aware of what the happenings and goals are.

This device won't prevent drivers on narcotics or marijuana though. Illinois is starting to see a sharp increase in driving while impaired ever since it legalized marijuana. I had a Intoxilot on my car due to my last DUI and it was a real pain to use. Plus, it wasn't always accurate and took several minutes to "warm up" during the Winter.

Wait, so can the police just shut a vehicle down a vehicle? (Too lazy to read entire thread, sorry).

I mean it's great for public safety, like if a child was kidnapped or to stop a pursuit, but this could be easy to abuse in the wrong hands / hackers.

Kind of reminds me of those smart Wi-Fi door handles with a keypad. The police can contact the manufacturer, get a master code and they are in. Better than a battering ram but still feels 1984ish. I mean I'm pro-police but there have to be limits.

Last edited:
NO ! The police can't shut your car down. At least not yet... that's only another law away, but that's not the topic of this thread.
We will stick to the Federal Law which currently exists:

The Law provides for the implementation of technology that will monitor the driver (physical movements, driving behavior, BAC) that will then be compares against a set standard, and then the car will:
- not start if not yet running, or
- be caused to shut down (safely) if running (yet to be determined how ....)

Read the link I put forth. It's less than two pages (start on page 403) of the total.

((5) to ensure the prevention of alcohol-impaired driving fatalities, advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology must be standard equipment in all new passenger motor vehicles.

(b) DEFINITIONS.—In this section: (1) ADVANCED DRUNK AND IMPAIRED DRIVING PREVENTION TECHNOLOGY.
—The term ‘‘advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology’’ means a system that—

(A) can—
(i) passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired; and
(ii) prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected;

(B) can—
(i) passively and accurately detect whether the blood alcohol concentration of a driver of a motor vehicle is equal to or greater than the blood alcohol concentration described in section 163(a) of title 23,United States Code; and
(ii) prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if a blood alcohol concentration above the legal limit is detected; or

(C) is a combination of systems described in subparagraphs (A) and (B).

Bottom line is that passenger vehicles (cars, trucks) will be able to either not start, or shut themselves down, if they detect impairment, starting in 2026, assuming implementation goes forward on schedule.

Last edited:
Back