Backdoor kill-switches in every car by 2026

you hate driving? ok, carsharing services comes to mind....

expensive taxi? i remember article about expensive taxi licenses in ny. people gotta pay that bill somehow....
in this case imho, taxi drivers are not to blame.

if taxi is too expensive, then use public transport. unstuck the cities....
(because everybody gotta sit alone in the car :LOL: your exact photo above)

you hate driving? ok, carsharing services comes to mind....
If you dislike driving then how does car sharing fix anything? You still have to drive a car that you share, no?

What's the cost per mile for uber or a taxi? as opposed to car ownership? I would guess that if someone had to drive a nominal 15k per year that uber is not going to be cost competitive.

What I don't know is how to compare cost of living someplace with public transportation as opposed to someplace that does not. Last time I lived someplace with public transportation was in college, and I found I couldn't use, as I think the bus stopped its rounds at 5pm. [Thankfully I could bike instead, but those Maine winters could be a bit chilly.]

If you dislike driving then how does car sharing fix anything? You still have to drive a car that you share, no?
it does not fix the problem, but at least you dont have to pay and own car. (expensive)
also in eu people moaning about traffic jams.
but sooo many people driving alone in the cars... one bus can take >40 persons.......

i dont think so :)
we produce industry eletronics and one of them is control box for trucks etc.
it does have e/sim, gps or separate global data transfer network. and is connected to vehicle systems.
it detects when you unplug the antennas and has internal gsm antenna in box as well.
by the time you get inside, message was already sent. this is meant as truck theft prevention, but it can be used for anything. (bigbrother)

Sounds like the V-Chip mandated to be put in every TV sold in the US. To keep kids safe from TV shows. I don't see where that has ever worked as intended, but adds to the cost of every TV.

i dont think so :)
we produce industry eletronics and one of them is control box for trucks etc.
it does have e/sim, gps or separate global data transfer network. and is connected to vehicle systems.
it detects when you unplug the antennas and has internal gsm antenna in box as well.
by the time you get inside, message was already sent. this is meant as truck theft prevention, but it can be used for anything. (bigbrother)
Wow. GSM. thats Cellular, right? If I buy the car, but don’t pay for the data services like onstar or the equivalent, in my mind without a paid account, there won’t be any gsm commo, right? Vehicle reporting and C2 (command and control) requires 2 way data. So how does that work? would the oems pay indefinitely so all vehicles would have data connectivity to “big brother?”

only other option is Wi-Fi when parked in a known network, but that’s just delogging, not real time…?

This is why I occasionally write my politicians.
I go straight to calling their office, leaving voice mails and speaking to their assistants. For one issue, I called every representative in my state, was able to speak to 2 of them. Took me about 2 days. About 50% never returned my voice mail and I was able to speak to human with the other 50%. Of those I spoke with, many were not familiar with the specific bill and I basically educated them on the topic, I don't think it made a difference. In the end they will tow the lobby / party line.

Wow. GSM. thats Cellular, right? If I buy the car, but don’t pay for the data services like onstar or the equivalent, in my mind without a paid account, there won’t be any gsm commo, right? Vehicle reporting and C2 (command and control) requires 2 way data. So how does that work? would the oems pay indefinitely so all vehicles would have data connectivity to “big brother?”

only other option is Wi-Fi when parked in a known network, but that’s just delogging, not real time…?
It wouldn't cost much to have a low data connectivity connection for a bunch of devices. Amazon did it with their Kindles. You're thinking of high data rates with unlimited data. But you only need small data packets and if you just pay by the occasional data packet, then it's really not that much money on an annual basis. A similar model would be GPS data trackers, you can get low monthly rates on those and an automaker could go lower. Mercedes already makes cars that can communicate with other Mercedes only for now.

this should be pretty similar like e-call system, that calls for help in case of crash. (u dont pay any cellular fee.)
i think some robotic sms is being sent about what happened and where. or you can call to helpcenter by long push of button.

buuuut who knows what else carmaker is using this for...:LOL:

Sounds similar to big brother at insurance companies basing premiums on actual driver skill as measured by the plugin dongle in the OBD-II port.

Employer fleet vehicles are already using these devices to determine if they are being driven properly and on approved routes.

Do you wear yours?
Yes, especially in the back seat. Talk to some ER doctors about the mess they see with people in the back seat getting ejected through the windshield. Even a seat belt isn't always enough. Thank God for having 12 airbags in vehicles now, can't wait till they put them on the outside of cars lol. You really have to see some car wrecks, puddles of blood in the footwells, hair stuck in the windshield glass and be in the ER when the victims come through to appreciate what really happens when you don't buckle up.

Yes, especially in the back seat. Talk to some ER doctors about the mess they see with people in the back seat getting ejected through the windshield. Even a seat belt isn't always enough. Thank God for having 12 airbags in vehicles now, can't wait till they put them on the outside of cars lol. You really have to see some car wrecks, puddles of blood in the footwells, hair stuck in the windshield glass and be in the ER when the victims come through to appreciate what really happens when you don't buckle up.
We have the ability to chose. I have always worn a helmet when riding a M/C because I wanted to be viewed in an open casket.

We have the ability to chose. I have always worn a helmet when riding a M/C because I wanted to be viewed in an open casket.
Absolutely, I am familiar with a an MC accident where MC rider was hit by a car, bonked his head on the ground, got up and went home. The impact was hard enough to cause a brain bleed, he thought it was a concussion, and died the next day, helmet would have saved his life. People don't have to wear their seatbelts, I guess that's a weird hill to die on freedom wise, but it thins the herd. I personally feel naked without wearing one.

Back