Backdoor kill-switches in every car by 2026

"passively monitoring the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired,"
by 2026, vehicles sold in the US will be required to automatically and silently record various metrics of driver performance, and then make a decision, absent any human oversight, whether the owner will be allowed to use their own vehicle. The measure goes on to require that the system be "open" to remote access by "authorized" third parties at any time.
As far as I'm reading it, it's clearly made to detect driving under alcohol or drug influence. The "test" procedure is liking requiring to blow into a pipe or something so the vehicle knows if the driver is high.

Any thoughts on this? Does this mean we will no longer have awesome car chases on the "4o5" in California?(drugs are usually involved) Or worse, access from "unauthorized" users. If you drive a relatively new car with a remote app and GPS, it already records performance, braking, location, aggressive acceleration, electrical problems, etc.

What is your take on this? Drunk Driving is Illegal and this could be used to prevent it?

And like anything else someone will find away to bypass/disable it. Still asinine to have something like that in the 1st place.
Yea-but your dashboard will look like a Christmas tree with all the warning lights on.......

What if you're just having a little bit of fun on a country road away from people and other traffic? Could this be interpreted by the system as being "impaired" and shut you down, too?
Problem with that is, it's still not your road. If a tree falls in the forest, and no is around to hear it... does it make a sound? Illegal is illegal, right? If you want to fool around, go to some private property and then you can use a vehicle that does not have to meet any federal standards.

[Don't get me wrong, I agree with you! but good luck with that augment with the fuzz or your local politician.]

I realize gov has a bug to drive driver deaths down to zero. Stuff like this fits into that. Since driving is a privilege (not a right) I'm not sure to just what level we can argue against such measures, other than to display dissatisfaction when they fail to work properly in the real world.

I'm reminded of this:
CS Lewis said:
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Problem with that is, it's still not your road. If a tree falls in the forest, and no is around to hear it... does it make a sound? Illegal is illegal, right?
OK, what about if you take your car to the track?

I guess based on the car's GPS, the system can be programed to not enforce these measures when you're at a "designated area," but then it'll miss a drunk that came to race at the track. :)

Last edited:
Problem with that is, it's still not your road. If a tree falls in the forest, and no is around to hear it... does it make a sound? Illegal is illegal, right? If you want to fool around, go to some private property and then you can use a vehicle that does not have to meet any federal standards.

[Don't get me wrong, I agree with you! but good luck with that augment with the fuzz or your local politician.]

I realize gov has a bug to drive driver deaths down to zero. Stuff like this fits into that. Since driving is a privilege (not a right) I'm not sure to just what level we can argue against such measures, other than to display dissatisfaction when they fail to work properly in the real world.

I'm reminded of this:

Most people only think what the tv tells them to think.

OK, what about if you take your car to the track?

I guess based on the car's GPS, the system can be programed to not enforce these measured when you're at a "designated area," but then it'll miss a drunk that came to race at the track. :)
I was just thinking, GPS. Been a while since I watched Top Gear but I thought I saw, on there or maybe elsewhere, one of the super cars was just like that: its GPS "knew" where all the tracks where, and thus would disable the nannies when on the track.

Back