Backdoor kill-switches in every car by 2026

To conflate the issue of the nanny-state intervention in cars ....

The NTSB is recommending to the NHTSA that all new cars use existing tech to prohibitively limit speeding. The tech is already available. Many cars can read speed limit signs and have GPS. All it takes is system integration to limit the application of power regardless how far down you press on the go-pedal.

Again .... there's one way this goes right and dozens of ways it goes wrong.

Already gave the actual, real-world example of VDOT putting a white 25MPH speed limit sign on I66. It was the wrong color (should have been yellow) and in the wrong place (should have been on the on-ramp), but the burnouts they hire don't care about minor details like that.

IMG_2951.jpeg

To conflate the issue of the nanny-state intervention in cars ....

The NTSB is recommending to the NHTSA that all new cars use existing tech to prohibitively limit speeding. The tech is already available. Many cars can read speed limit signs and have GPS. All it takes is system integration to limit the application of power regardless how far down you press on the go-pedal.

I don't see this happening for monetary reasons. If there is no speeding, no tickets , that much lost revenue would break a lot of municipalities.

Can you imagine if everyone across the country went one month with no parking violations, no speeding tickets, there would be a local government panic. They will be broke. There would be public service announcements begging for the public the break a few road rules for the good of the public!

I can see a vehicle being disabled for swerving to avoid a deer or a pothole in the road... Not good.

I have a 2022 Toyota Highlander and a 2020 F150. Everything is tied to the ECM. Whats your newest vehicle? You can't go in with ForScan on the F150 and change such a thing. It's embedded much deeper than that.
It would most likely be something you buy that downloads into the ecm. There's always companies that make stuff like that as long as their is a demand for it.

It would most likely be something you buy that downloads into the ecm. There's always companies that make stuff like that as long as their is a demand for it.
Would think it depends on what the OEM wants to do. They could bury it deep and make it really really protected--or easy to flip a bit, especially if it's something that they want disabled in other countries.

Unless if it gets into law mandating how hard it is to disable, I could see this being easy to disable on some vehicles, impossible on others. Take TPMS for instance. Required, right? IIRC on Honda's a TPMS fault means that TC can't be disabled. On most (all?) of my Toyota's it just means a warning light on the dash (others will point out that they have an actual psi readout). Meanwhile a slight engine malfunction is apt to disable TC, VSC and make the dashboard on my vehicles light up like a Christmas tree... while on a Ford (from what I've read) it can have piles of misfires yet register nothing more than a misfire count if you go looking, no CEL. But they all meet applicable laws...

Back