Back where I belong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoyed the Virago for what it was (a cruiser). It was a beautiful bike, but didn't have the mannerisms I enjoy in a bike. It was sold last weekend, and I've felt lost all week having to drive my car everywhere I go.

I fixed that problem friday night.

2007 Ninja 650R, 7400 miles, pretty much immaculate with the exception of a small scar on the upper ridge of the tank. Fire-sale priced at $3900. It's actually the bike I've been wanting for a long time but prices have been a little out of reach. It's a BLAST to ride without being required to lay down to ride it. A great compromise from a full-on supersport.

Of course I changed the oil saturday, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40.

Ninja1-1.jpg

Ninja2.jpg

I was thinking either KawaBry or SakiBry.
grin2.gif

Also, the purpose of that seat is to not have anyone else ride with you, unless she is slim and weighs around 110 lbs.

I really like that color. Be careful, there are a lot if idiots on the road in Dallas County.

I was only able to convince one person to ride on the virago, and it had a big cushy rear seat and a backrest. I don't think anyone's going to beat a path to my door wanting a ride on this one.

SakiBry....funny stuff!

I made that mistake years ago (1992) when I had my Seca 750. 3 beers, 4 mile ride home in a very small town with no traffic. Scared the be-jesus out of me. None of that. Ever.

This is the last motorcycle I owned, not this one, but one just like it, a 1984 BMW R100. Was a great bike and I road it all over Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. I put just over 125,000 on this bike, breaking all the molds by using Mobil 1 5W-20 in it. Sold the bike in 1989 just before I moved to Wisconsin.

Actually this is a picture of a 1984 R80, but they were the same bike except for the CC's.

http://www.tradebit.com/usr/gearheadred/pub/9002/bmw-r80.jpg

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I put just over 125,000 on this bike, breaking all the molds by using Mobil 1 5W-20 in it. Sold the bike in 1989 just before I moved to Wisconsin.

There was M1 5w-20 available prior to 1989?

How is the handling and acceleration compared to other 600cc Sport bikes like the Honda CBR600, Suzuki GSX-R600, Yamaha R1 and so on.

I'm thinking about getting a bike and have no experience riding except for motorcycle riding school where I've acquired my motorcycle license. Would this be a good starter bike that I won't get bored with easily or should I go with one of the above sport bikes?

Last edited:
Be careful. I was hanging out at a friends place this weekend near the North Dallas Tollway and George Bush Tollway intersect. We went out and there were 2 groups of 20 year old fools out on their crotch rockets doing "fronties" as they came to stop at stop lights, and wheelies as they pulled away.
I was waiting for one of the front guys in the group to wipe out, and his friends run over him. Or one of the guys in the rear wipe out and slide into his friends and ruin their day.

Be careful, lots of morons ou these days.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
How is the handling and acceleration compared to other 600cc Sport bikes like the Honda CBR600, Suzuki GSX-R600, Yamaha R1 and so on.

I'm thinking about getting a bike and have no experience riding except for motorcycle riding school where I've acquired my motorcycle license. Would this be a good starter bike that I won't get bored with easily or should I go with one of the above sport bikes?

The only thing I can tell you is what the Ninja EX650-R has and how it behaves. 48 lb/ft at 7000 and 71hp @ 8500. Being a bigger bore parallel 2, rather than a small-bore parallel 4, it's got more power down low. From 2000 on up it pulls really well, and really goes crazy at 7000. I got it up to 8K this morning on the way to work and there's a definite power spike around that time, but nothing unmanagable. The Ninja ZX-6R (636cc) puts down 8 less lb/ft but puts down 113hp a @ 12,250 rpm. My bike redlines at 11K.

I'm told that while the supersports 600 cc put out more hp, need to be wound higher to put it out. Haven't ridden one, just going by what owners tell me. With the Ninja 650, you don't need many revs to get it off the line.

I think the 650 would be a fine starter bike, because you have to be fairly deliberate about what you want it to do, versus possibly doing it by accident on a supersport. I'm told they're much touchier with the throttle and you end up going a lot faster than you'd planned to. But I've learned quickly on this bike that I SERIOUSLY doubt I'll ever be wanting for more power.

I believe a 600cc sportbike is a good beginner bike and a good all around bike.

You can still go 150mph on it (if you wanted to), insurance is cheaper than on a liter bike. You can have a lot of fun on 600's, a lot of people say you will outgrow a 600 quickly and that you should just go with a 1000. You can get in trouble real quick on a 600 just as well on a 1000.

just look at all the options out there and make smart decisions

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Also, the purpose of that seat is to not have anyone else ride with you, unless she is slim and weighs around 110 lbs.

That would be a big 10-4 on the 2 up rider size.....
thumbsup2.gif

I owned a new 1982 R100 in pewter grey with hard bags. I traded in a 1981 Yamaha 750 Seca (Black/orange/gold) to buy the R100. Personally, I didn't really like the R100. It was an OK ride but over all, I found it to be an awkward bike. Left pant leg would get caught on the carb and just about cause me to fall over or burn my lower leg on the engine. Sold the BMW in 1989 and bought a Polaris Long Track snow machine for the winter.

Nice Ninja by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back