Back where I belong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I'm thinking about getting a bike and have no experience riding except for motorcycle riding school where I've acquired my motorcycle license. Would this be a good starter bike that I won't get bored with easily or should I go with one of the above sport bikes?
This, or the very similar Suzuki SV650 would make an excellent bike for a beginner, with absolutely no worry about getting bored. Check out any track day and you'll see how much performance they deliver - they are favorite track bikes for many people.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
How is the handling and acceleration compared to other 600cc Sport bikes like the Honda CBR600, Suzuki GSX-R600, Yamaha R1 and so on.

I'm thinking about getting a bike and have no experience riding except for motorcycle riding school where I've acquired my motorcycle license. Would this be a good starter bike that I won't get bored with easily or should I go with one of the above sport bikes?

Get something smaller and used. You can pick up a Kawasaki or Suzuki 500 for not much money. They are reliable bikes that can take a beating and have plenty of development behind them. They'll also be far more forgiving of rookie mistakes than a super-sport model will be. If you drop it, you won't feel as bad about the damage and it'll be far cheaper to repair. The best part is that, once you've honed your skills and are ready to move on, you'll be able to recover much (if not all) of your initial investment.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If BMW still made the R65, I would buy one tomorrow. Great commuter bikes.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SwR_YwjM4U0/SO36U06rAoI/AAAAAAAAAe4/Wn0fMU_zJgg/s400/1981-bmw-r65-1.jpg

I had an 83' BMW r65 and rode it for many years. Was slightly disappointed with power until I quit "babying" it and started riding it like "I stole it." That was one of the few short-stroke air-head engines from BMW and it liked to be revved. I always got lots of attention from other BMW riders on it. Once I rode it to Arkansas with a bunch of Harley riders and while we were at a gas station, a group of BMW riders came in and instead of "ogling" the Harleys, they walked straight over to my ratty old r65 and started talking to me and checking it out. My Harley riding buddies never got over that day -- they still talk about it when we get together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back