back to your roots

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so my dad used Pennzoil for many many years.
used it in my first vehicle........but then switched over to Havoline when i was 16 and somewhat knowledgable about engines (heard it was bad...blah blah blah).

i got him to switch over with his newer truck in 2001 to Havoline (never any probs)

but with all this reading on the Platinum i feel i may be going back to my roots.

not to dino PZ but I'm definitely feeling the Platinum Fever

who here is still running what their father was used to runnning?

Platinum is on my short list of candidates for my next oil change too.

As far as the yellow bottle? I wish they would lose it. They've had that yellow bottle way to long. I would have went with a lighter shade of yellow; something a little more cheerfull.

The Platinum silver bottle is sharp.
wink.gif

I think this is why BiTOG exists.....to lose this touchy feely stuff.

Tell me about your oil childhood.

My dad used Fed Mart 10W-30. I hold him responsible for killing the family Buick Special Station wagon with the small V6 from the early sixties (63?). I now think the thing was sludged at the very least.

Now he uses Pennzoil in the yellow bottle. I have urges. Uncontrollable urges.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with regular Pennzoil in the yellow bottles. It's a good oil, and there are countless UOAs posted on here that show that.

My Dad used Valvoline in the round quarts and when a CASE was 24 quarts .

None of this wimpy 6 qt cases.
thumbsdown.gif

Men could carry cases back then...
patriot.gif

My dad stopped using Valvoline back in the late 90s and has gone to Pennzoil (Yellow bottle), Castrol GTX and sometimes Chevron.

Now, my Uncle uses Valvoline since day one and continues to this day. He still has a case of Round paper quarts in straight 30 weight that he found.

Told him to put it up on ebay.. Sure there is someone who will buy it and pay for it...
grin.gif

quote:

Tell me about your oil childhood.

Will there be a Oprah show on this?
lol.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

My late father in the 80's and early 90's used Quaker State 10-30 in his new (at the time) '84 S-10 and use Napa oil filters. He got 260,000 miles out of that V-6 so I guess it worked for him. I mostly use Mobil products now but I do have nostalgic feelings for the green bottle.

My uncle had a 76 Nova with a 350 in it. He used nothing but Quaker State "Super Blend" (which was the name of their 10w30 back then). When he got rid of the car in the late 80s it had over 400,000 miles on it and the only thing that had ever been done to the engine was two water pumps, two valve jobs, and the Quadrajet was rebuilt three times. Nothing ever done to the bottom end. And no sludge under the valve covers.

My roots start with Pennzoil 10w30 (no matter the application) and Fram filters. I moved away from that by the time I reached my second vehicle just to be diffirent from the old man and started using Purolator filters and Castrol. Now on my F-150 I use Motorcraft filters which in essence is Purolator and Motorcraft oil which I believe is a Conoco product. On my wifes Sentra I use Exxon Superflo and either Napa (Wix) or Purolator filters.

My father used Sears oil. Then turned over all mantenance to me when I was 12. I switched to Havoline except in the 1950 Studebaker where we bought a 10 qt can each week at the cheap gas station and used it to add oil twice a day with a mason jar. 10 qts of oil and 10 gallons of gas usually got us through the week.

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
...I would have went with a lighter shade of yellow; something a little more cheerfull...

While we're on point, Caterpillar should do something about that ghastly "industrial" yellow the company spews on its heavy-duty diesel engines and off-road equipment - perhaps a lovely light aqua with contrasting mauve filigree trim? (The company could also consider bringing out a line of driver/operator outer wear styled by the late Oleg Cassini under the label, "Real Men DO Wear Lace & Heels".)

My father was a mechanic until he died in 1992. (In fact he died of a heart attack while turning a wrench) Anyway, he always told me to stay away from Pennzoil. He believed it caused sludge. This was in the late 70's - early 80's that I remember him saying that about Pennzoil.

I believe that a lot of older engines used to sludge up rather quickly, & that by coincidence, many of them were using Pennzoil when it happened. That doesn't mean it was the fault of Pennzoil. I believe, as most member here do, that Pennzoil is one of the best oils on the market.

However, out of respect for my late father, I've never used Pennzoil (that I can recall) in any engine that I've owned. I do use a little 20w50 Pennzoil in a mountain bike fork that I have, though.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JK:
who here is still running what their father was used to runnning?

ME! Still running Havoline as we always have. My Dad, his Dad before him.

Only thing is, is my diesel runs on Delo 15w-40, which I'm gonna switch the '85 22RE too this summer, but still use the 10w-30 Havoline in winter.

The other vehicle, which has also had a life of Havoline, is being permanently switched to Rotella 5w-40 - since the Havoline Blend (which it really seems to like) is being pulled from the shelves.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
My father was a mechanic until he died in 1992. (In fact he died of a heart attack while turning a wrench) Anyway, he always told me to stay away from Pennzoil. He believed it caused sludge. This was in the late 70's - early 80's that I remember him saying that about Pennzoil.

My Grand-dad believed this too, in fact, he had a late 70's Chevy truck that he attempted to take Pennzoil to court over; something to do with the kind of additives that were in it caused a lot of damage. He sent samples to them and they even had a rep come out and take one as well, didn't put up a fight. Pennzoil put in a new engine; he only had 26k miles and had used Pennzoil from the very 1st mile.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

While we're on point, Caterpillar should do something about that ghastly "industrial" yellow the company spews on its heavy-duty diesel engines and off-road equipment

Ray H: I like the Caterpillar "ButterScotch" yellow. Reminds me of Jell-O brand instant ButterScotch pudding that mommy made for me, when I was a kid.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

I grew up in my fathers auto parts store in a small Louisiana town. We sold auto parts out the front door and rebuilt engines, did valve jobs, turned drums and rotors and did minor repair work out of the roll-up door in the back.

I've seen hundreds of engines torn down and heard dad swear repeatedly about "Quaker State sludge." He was convinced that every engine that came in with solid black crud in the valley pan or on the heads was a Quaker State engine. He would swear on and on about how much harder it was to get a Quaker State engine clean in the hot vat.(I believe he used costic soda in the vat.)

He used exclusivily Castrol GTX. I, too, now use Castrol again, but mine is the GC variety.

By the way, I've never used Quaker State in my life and don't ever plan to. I was "imprinted" against it as a child, 7 - 17 years old.

My dad was a Sunoco man. Do they still try to dye their oil blue? I use yellow brown Pennzoil out of the yellow bottles. Have I mentioned lately that I grew up in Grove City Pennsylvania where our football rivals included Titlesville and Oil City?

Note, I discovered my 81 Phoneix V-6 was sludged up while when I was doing 6 month OCI's with QS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back