Back To Winter Cycling

I froze my fingers doing car repairs in November shortly after my first winter ride of the season. Then I was laid up with a string of colds that were making the rounds here, and the roads and trails were in terrible condition with frequent snowfalls.

But anyway, I finally finally got out for a ride on December 30th, and my wife joined me the next day. I wore my heated gloves under my heavy mitts so as to protect my still-tender fingers. Here are a couple of shots of our ride on the the 31st:

20221231_104158.jpg

20221231_104443.jpg

We don't get quite that weather here in the Seattle area, but from Oct through March it's winter clothes for me. That's dual layers for the legs, torso & arms, waterproof jacket, waterproof gloves, and bootie covers on the shoes.

Indoors on Zwift with smart trainer absolutely love it last night's group ride it gets addicting
20230103_172031.jpg

Indoors don't count!! I say this in jest. Not knocking your indoor rides just messing with you guys. I could never ride stationary no matter how kewl the tech is. Huge part of biking (I ride some road but mostly mt bike and some fatty time in winter) for me is the outdoors and the travel to get to new destinations or beating a best time on a previous run at the same location.

Fresh air, the sky, the scenery! I need that. I do admit that at 50 I've gotten soft. I don't get out on the fatty under 25F and prefer 30F+. I do smile after a wipe out in winter. Not so much Spring, Summer, or fall!! Those falls hurt! and Hurt!

I took a couple weeks off from riding around Christmas. Back at it this week but the wind is brutal and about got taken out by a dodge ram last night :rolleyes: , closest call ever. Quite a way to restart riding. It snowed when I took a break but I haven't rode in the snow yet.

We rode out for brunch this morning. The plan was to ride to the restaurant at Assiniboine Park, about 12 km away.

Should have looked at the weather first:
Screenshot_20230107-093741.jpg

The windchill was nasty, so we decided to go to a restaurant much closer, about 6 km from home.

Hey, no other bikes at the bike rack this morning. Bonus!
20230107_104121.jpg

The trails were in good shape. Not cleared down to bare asphalt, but well-packed. Did see a few hardy pedestrians.
20230107_104828.jpg

20230107_105419.jpg

Sweet Jesus. -18.

I'm currently building my wife a fat bike but it won't get ridden until it's above 50.
-18°C is a balmy 0°F. Doesn't sound as bad. 😉

It's really all about the wind. If there's no wind, or it's behind you, the temperature doesn't matter too much.

We rode 10 km each way to church yesterday. Dark and -13°C on the way there, but with a moderate wind behind us. Not too bad.

Coming home, -5°C and sunny, and the wind had dropped right off. Delightful!

I froze my fingers doing car repairs in November shortly after my first winter ride of the season. Then I was laid up with a string of colds that were making the rounds here, and the roads and trails were in terrible condition with frequent snowfalls.

But anyway, I finally finally got out for a ride on December 30th, and my wife joined me the next day. I wore my heated gloves under my heavy mitts so as to protect my still-tender fingers. Here are a couple of shots of our ride on the the 31st:

View attachment 133888
View attachment 133889
My hat is off to you, friend!
I rode a bicycle on my paper route until age 15 ; 5 mi/day for 5 years, sun, rain ,sleet, snow.
Once I got the permission from the State of Indiana to drive on public roads in 1981, I parked my bicycle.

Our winter riding around the Seattle area isn't usually snowy, icy or freezing. But grey, wet, windy and generally grotty miserable. Get back from a ride with an extra kilo of dirt, mud and road crap on the bike and clean the drivetrain for every ride.

My hat is off to you, friend!
I rode a bicycle on my paper route until age 15 ; 5 mi/day for 5 years, sun, rain ,sleet, snow.
Once I got the permission from the State of Indiana to drive on public roads in 1981, I parked my bicycle.
I outgrew my bike at 14, and didn't ride again until my last term of college, when I was almost 25. I was absolutely fed up with riding the "iron lung" (city buses) to and from school. Bought a used low-end 5-speed from a classmate for $60. Loved riding, and did much better the last couple of months of school.

That's a lot of years ago, and a lot of miles since.

Our winter riding around the Seattle area isn't usually snowy, icy or freezing. But grey, wet, windy and generally grotty miserable. Get back from a ride with an extra kilo of dirt, mud and road crap on the bike and clean the drivetrain for every ride.
That sounds miserable. Days like that I absolutely crave sunlight.

Back