Back to Dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reviewing WTD's oil analysis and Mobil informing him that since he would need 3K oil changes, he might as well use conventional oil, I have a question(s).

-Is there any benefit to using synthetic if you prefer or need 3K oil changes?

- If the vehicle is not used every day, say 3 times a week, is synthetic advantageous? I read that synthetic will flow faster and reduce wear on vehicles that are not driven regularly.

- If someone goes back to dino after using synthetic, are there any adverse effects to the engine?

As one of the least educated/experienced on "oil science" I appreciate your comments.

From Robert,

- If the vehicle is not used every day, say 3 times a week, is synthetic advantageous?

Probably not. You will want to use a good dino, though, like Vavoline MaxLife or Schaeffer's.

I read that
synthetic will flow faster and reduce wear on vehicles that are not driven regularly.

Marketing Hype, most likely. A good dino 5W30 or 10W30 has enough viscosity range to flow in most temperatures encountered in the NA.

- If someone goes back to dino after using synthetic, are there any adverse effects to the engine?

No, not for
As one of the least educated/experienced on "oil science" I appreciate your comments.

I know a lot of guys who honestly believe that using synthetic oil and changing it every 3k is going to make their engines last longer than if they used dino oil, but they are mistaken. Perhaps a few years ago this might have been true, when dino oil was not as good as it is now, but with the new SL ratings, dino oil is getting so much closer to synthetic, at considerably less price.

The main benefits of synthetics are the ability to last for longer drain intervals, as well as flowing faster in extreme cold. So if you're going to do 3k intervals, then it's only real benefit is the better cold weather performance. But even then dino oil is getting better, as I've seen some pretty decent pour point numbers from some dino oils lately. And if your area never gets cold, there goes that benefit too.

Why change it every 3k though? Why not go to 4 or 5k intervals? I'm sure dino oil could go that long now. As a matter of fact, I'd really like to see some oil analysis results on a dino oil just to see how it holds up. It seems like all the analysis results I see are for full or semi synthetics, but none on a $1.50 dino oil.

And for a vehicle that isn't driven much, you definitely want something with moly in it.

MolaKule & Patman - Well stated. What oils would have the most moly, dino or synthentic, also brands?

[ June 28, 2002, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: robert ]

I used to believe that your 'average' synthetic oil prevented wear better than the 'average' dino ... and this may be the case if both oils are left in for extended intervals.

But, now I believe that synthetics merely pump easier and this will give you about 1-3% greater milage and fuel economy. This, however, has nothing to do with wear protection.

And, that's all things being equal ... and all too often, they aren't.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
From Robert,

- If the vehicle is not used every day, say 3 times a week, is synthetic advantageous?

Probably not. You will want to use a good dino, though, like Vavoline MaxLife or Schaeffer's.

I read that
synthetic will flow faster and reduce wear on vehicles that are not driven regularly.

Marketing Hype, most likely. A good dino 5W30 or 10W30 has enough viscosity range to flow in most temperatures encountered in the NA.

No, not for

Bringing this excellent thread back to the top because this applies to my situation with my truck. I was initially enthused to try a 1 year interval with M1 0w30 but so far in 7 months I have only accumulated 1200 miles in this truck, this is a waste. I am considering going to a blend or even straight conventional with 6 month intervals or a set mileage of 3-5k miles due to the fact that this truck is ran to either haul stuff, or to purposely have the 4x4 engaged.
With weeks at a time just sitting in the garage I doubt that I am doing the Taco any favors with synthetic. I am starting to become anxious about internal engine corrosion and wonder if there are better oils to tolerate the storage than a full PAO syn.

Even if you drove to El Paso and back you would only double the mileage on that truck.

Go for 2 years and make a couple trips to El Paso!

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
When are people going to learn to smarten up and let the 3000 mile myth go.

I believe there are some engines, those with picky hydraulic lifters for one, that like 3K mile oil changes. For these vehicles, the 3K ritual is not a myth, it's simply preventative insurance.

There's no need for these people - that know their engine, and how it sounds with good clean oil, or oil that's a bit worn - to smarten up. The fact that they "care" enough to listen to how that baby sounds at 5 mph or 55 mph is wise enough for longetivity.

I wish people would stop saying that "every one" should start going to 4-5K miles on dino. I haven't been here a long time, but I have seen some UOA's where certain engines have torn up certain dino's by the time 3K miles is barely met.

Can't imagine those people "thinking" they can go to 4-5K miles, when in fact, they barely made it to 3K just because people tell them to "smarten up".

Yes there are other engines, the V6-V8's on toyota's for instance that seem to be very easy on oil and doesn't seem to matter what they run on; V6's in the chevy's as well. But I don't feel that it goes for every dino on every engine and/or on every driving style that vehicle has encountered in 3-4-5K miles.

should also be mentioned, that older engines, are much more prone to introduce contaminants into the oil at a faster rate than new engines due to blowby in the valves and piston rings. These engines will exsaust an oils acidity control addatives faster and require shorter OCIs

quote:

Originally posted by jorton:
Even if you drove to El Paso and back you would only double the mileage on that truck.

Go for 2 years and make a couple trips to El Paso!

Thanks for the feedback.. maybe I should sample in a couple of months to see if I should continue beyond 1 year. Just seems odd with so few miles.
I am not concerned about the oil lasting that long but I have had a seed of guilt about possible corrossion planted in my mind due to the high iron debate concerning this oil. If it is indeed corrossion . On another vehicle I have no problem going out to 7500 or 6 months while under warranty. I think the infrequent use is much tougher than the constant use that other vehicle enjoys. I suppose there is only one way to tell..

quote:

I believe there are some engines, those with picky hydraulic lifters for one, that like 3K mile oil changes. For these vehicles, the 3K ritual is not a myth, it's simply preventative insurance.

There's no need for these people - that know their engine, and how it sounds with good clean oil, or oil that's a bit worn - to smarten up. The fact that they "care" enough to listen to how that baby sounds at 5 mph or 55 mph is wise enough for longetivity.

I wish people would stop saying that "every one" should start going to 4-5K miles on dino. I haven't been here a long time, but I have seen some UOA's where certain engines have torn up certain dino's by the time 3K miles is barely met.

Can't imagine those people "thinking" they can go to 4-5K miles, when in fact, they barely made it to 3K just because people tell them to "smarten up".

Yes there are other engines, the V6-V8's on toyota's for instance that seem to be very easy on oil and doesn't seem to matter what they run on; V6's in the chevy's as well. But I don't feel that it goes for every dino on every engine and/or on every driving style that vehicle has encountered in 3-4-5K miles.

Some excellent points, Ramblin!
smile.gif

Bryanccfshr, if I was you, my biggest concern would be does the oil get to full operating temperature when you do drive it? I know that you have lots of humidity there, and the salt air does not help, but if your getting the oil hot enough when you do drive, you should be fine.
As far as what oil, I kinda agree with you, Mobil 1 may be overkill, maybe try some Trop Artic from Dollar Tree and a one year OCI. If you stay with the Mobil 1, try 2 years and do an UOA when you take it out.

Bryanccfshr, if I was you, my biggest concern would be does the oil get to full operating temperature when you do drive it?

Yes, I am certain of that. The rig never gets ran less than a half hour at a time usually much longer with combined highway/city and backcountry offroad use. With the oil to coolant exchanger I am certain that even putting around in 4 lo the oil should be up to temp in 15 minutes. So the condensation should be minimal.
The beach is a good half hour(and the truck has been used all day at this point) of highway driving from my garage where the truck spends most of it's time while I work. I was putting 6-10k a year on the Taco before this year when I added the Mobil 1 but I have had a busy work year and haven't been fishing and 4 wheeling as much as I would like.

I may just take a sample at the 10 month or so mark and see what the health report is. I did a filter change and top off last week and added some LC. Previous fill was motorcraft 5w30 and before that it was on a 6 month cylces of Valvoline AC 5w30.. 18 months or more may very well be possible but it is driving me crazy waiting on enough miles to justify a UOA.

If it does come back looking unhealthy I have my eye on a couple of blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back