Back to back Havoline 5w20 vs 5w30 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8

CoRlKRR.png

Can't tell any difference in feel, noise, mpg. Currently doing a 5w20/30/40 comparison and the 5w40 is currently about 700 miles from being changed and another UOA done. Trying to determine if viscosity in my particular engine shows any meaningful amount of difference in wear particles or anything measurable.

Last edited:
Is there any noise difference between Havoline 5W-20 and 5W-30 ?
I can't tell any difference in anything.

Looks like you pull some serious miles on the hiways with those dates and mileage!
I used to drive a lot more than I do now, which is why I did relatively short OCIs for the 5w20/30/and the current fill of 5w40 tests.

Of course. I've taken videos and they sound the same, and by ear it all sounds the same to me. Pretty in tune with it after putting so many miles on it over the last decade.

View attachment 135371
Can't tell any difference in feel, noise, mpg. Currently doing a 5w20/30/40 comparison and the 5w40 is currently about 700 miles from being changed and another UOA done. Trying to determine if viscosity in my particular engine shows any meaningful amount of difference in wear particles or anything measurable.
I see identical results. Nothing stands out. If you want to try to tell anything for real, run the 5w30 for 2 more OCIs

I see identical results. Nothing stands out. If you want to try to tell anything for real, run the 5w30 for 2 more OCIs
Im not that dedicated to it, just curious to run some back to back results. I usually pour about 1/2qt through once it stops dripping to flush out some residual older oil and get a more accurate sample. I suspect the 5w40 will show slightly less wear overall due to the vast majority of it being on long interstate cruises for christmas vacation. Should probably have that sample in the next month or two.

Thanks for the uoa's. Please tell us about that Hyundai and how its treated you after almost 280k I'm real interested.

Thanks for the uoa's. Please tell us about that Hyundai and how its treated you after almost 280k I'm real interested.
Had good luck. OG clutch (technically the slave cylinder) went out at 242k miles. I changed the timing chain components at 244k miles and under the valve cover was pretty good looking. Otherwise, just standard maintenance really.

I honestly doubt you’ll see any difference between the three viscosities, especially on a well aged engine.

You’d have to step it up to a good 15w40 or 10w60 to really have a decent change in overall viscosity to MAYBE notice “something” but with wear numbers like you’re getting, I don’t see how it can possibly get any better. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I tried 0w30 & 0w40 in my Mazda which specs 0w20 and also saw no difference.

The average grocery getter engine doesn't care what viscosity it’s run on.

Back