Back in America car opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My plan is, around April or May of next year to return to the States. Here in Japan, I own a car that can barely get out of it’s own way. When I get back, I want a car that can get out the guy in front of me’s way.
So I have been making some requirements, and setting some parameters.

Here are the requirements
Able to run a ¼ in at least 14/high 13’s
Gas mileage of at least 20c-30h (I pay $4.20 a gallon for gas here, so the $3 something at home won’t phase me)
Amenities
Less than $10K finished (meaning fixed, modded etc.)

Here are my choices
T-56 LS1 (love to have one, insurance as of now is about $100 more than the rest of the choices, but I will be 25 when I get back, so that should go down) 18-20 city 28-32 highway
Saab 9-5 or 9-3 (read about the oil/PCV problems and pixel problems and feel that they would not keep me from the car)
W-Body (I had one, and would like another one, but I would probably mod it some, and the tranny just doesn’t like it)

OR

My parents told me that I could take their Elantra when I get back. It’s not powerful by any means, but it can get out of it’s own way, and I could have enough money left over for a bike if I wanted. They bought when new, and aside from it being auto and the oil filter fiasco that is going on with FRAMs “blowing up engines”, I think it’s a good car. The tranny is a little picky, but nothing a good dealer and a hydraulic filter wouldn’t fix.

I know that money, job, and location will all play a major role in this decision, but since don’t have info on the job and location, I am shooting for my hometown, Georgetown Texas, as the location of return.

If you have any other suggestions, within the parameters, then please advise. If there is money left over for a bike, then the speed factor is a non-issue. Any opinions, even the you are retarded for wanting this because… with a good reason are welcome.

I'm real happy with my 9-3. I have the low inertia turbo, so it only has 175 hp, but its 195 lb-ft of torque look like theyre coming from a diesel engine... flat as a tabletop from fast idle on up. I get 34-36 MPG regularly, including when sitting in a fair deal of traffic, and it fits my 6ft4, 225 lb athletic self wth ease and comfort.

Its safety is top notch, and the depreciation on these cars is pretty high, so you can surely find a great deal.

I'm not sure that it will do 14/high 13s, but with a computer upgrade, itll do 205 hp and be at least in thehigh 14s, with similar economy still.

but Ill stop there before people get mad that I like my car so much and suggest its 'pros' to others.

How about a civic Si or mazda 3?!? theyre such wonderful, awesome sports cars, apparently
tongue.gif
lol.gif

JMH

I have been reading about the 9-3, and there are some cars in that price range in the ATX area. I will try to get a ride in one if I get to visit at the end of the month. I really want the LS1, but I haven't worked out the gas and mainenence stuff, such as oil change and gas per mile stuff.

The 9-3 also has the PCV problem right? What are your gripes and loves?
I don't think that the SI or 3 are in my price range.

Well, an LS1 will BLOW the doors off a Saab 9-3 or 9-5. Your lookin at $10,000 total including cost of the car? Do you want to work on it yourself or have everything else done? Do you want to have a lot of mods done?

For all out cheap speed, Mustang GTs or F-Body's are a no brainer but everyone has one.

Man, there are so many performance cars you could get. Heck, you could find an older 540 Bimmer with a 6 speed. My friends pop just got one for about 12K and that sucker gets up and GOES, but I doubt gets 30 mpg highway.

I have a 2000 9-5 I bought off of a 2 year lease. It has been extremely reliable and I still look forward to driving it everyday. I have the low-pressure turbo too but did upgrade the CPU to boost the turbo to full pressure which made a drastic difference (170HP to 200HP). The Viggen model for my 9-5 puts out 250HP stock, plus has upgraded suspension, tires, and brakes. The newer Saabs now call the the Viggen model the Aero.

If I were in the market today, the new current models of 9-3s are fantastic and I would get it over the higher priced 9-5.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Well, an LS1 will BLOW the doors off a Saab 9-3 or 9-5.

For sure... but you have to look at the whole package. It all depends on what he really wants. I dont know where he will be living, but if there is snow, personally, I wouldnt want a very powerful RWD vehicle as my daily driver (others may disagree). Also, some of those cars are relatively big and bulky for the usable space to be had. Dont get me wrong, I love v8 american musclecars, and howp to buy one before too long, but Im not sure that Id want to have to live it it in the day to day drive. YMMV.

It will be a stretch to find a half decent E39 5-series 540i that is decent for the prices he wants to pay.. however, an earlier 5 series 540 has a combination of very nice lines, a slightly smaller package, decent well maintained cars still available, and more reasonable prices.

There are very nice, well maintained, higher mileage E36 M3 sedans that have great performance and reasonable prices... not sure if even that will be able to hit 30 MPG highway, but it will be close.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by Shaman:
The 9-3 also has the PCV problem right?

I'm pretty sure that was only the 2002-prior models. The ones with the 2.0L Ecotec engine (2003 and up) have no such problems.

If you're going to buy a 2003, verify what engine it has..I think the 2003 convertible was carried over from 2002 and does not have the Ecotec engine.

Good luck getting that Saab or Elantra into the 13s. For only $10K, your choices are somewhat limited. Mustang or F-bodies are your best choices -- as someone already mentioned. For only $10K, they might even be quite old/worn down. Neon SRT4, Cobalt SS supercharged, Ion Redline will run high 13s/low 14s, but you won't find one for $10K. A highly modded Civic, or other 4-banger could get there, but I wouldn't trust it as daily transporation.

In the end, you may have to make a choice between speed, & daily/reliable transportation...Or spend more money to get both.

Hmm, Lets see, spend 10 grand on a uses car or get a free used car... I would take the free car and bank the money for a few years to get a little more than what you want.
While the Elantra is nothing super special, it is a decent car, gets good mileage, and if a 2001 and newer, not many problems (except for auto tranny issues if the wrong fluid is used).

Gas is $3.00 per gallon this morning. Just wait until after lunch...

Those 8 hungry cylinders might not be such a great idea.

I thought fuel was much more expensive in Japan than what you mention. Each day brings a new eye opener.

The Elantra would not be free. I would take over payments or pay the difference.

Like I said about the speed thing, the elantra would leave room for a 2 wheeler.

I have been studying the F-body stuff for a few months now, and I have been looking into the 9-5 and 9-3 for 3 and 1 month respectively.

Yes, I will do my own work, at least on what I know. The F-body would get lid SFC’s, and at least a muffler. Depending on location, it may get XS LT’s and a TSP Y or true duals with an X.
Saab would get exhaust and filter
Elantra would get a strut bar and Accord CAI, and a CD player.

JH
I agree with the whole package thing. I will test drive both the 9-3 and the F-body. The F-bod is a GT as they would be called here, and the Saabs would be saloons/sport sedans. They are in two different leagues. I also agree with the everyone has one comment. With that said, it doesn’t really bother me. The looks of the Viggen are very interesting, and I gave a *** look the first time I saw one here. That said, originality cost money. If my LS1 has a problem on the road, I can bet that any bubba wrench man has worked on one. I don’t know if I could say the same thing for a SAAB, at least unless I was living in Sweden. What are the years on the 540’s you are talking about?

I do like the direct injection of the SAAB’s but being that they are problematic, and people replace them as preventative maintenance, it’s another add $200 to the purchase price. Also, all the things that I have read about the Viggen are the engine sucks after 300 hp, and you should get the bar, brace blah blah and redo the suspension to make it ride right.

Blupupher.
We are on our third Elantra, and if I take my mom’s over, she will just get another one. I understand the tranny problem, and like I said, and 5um hydraulic or an amsoil or MG bypass would take care of the Elantra fluid, and an MG would end up attached to the full flow. I know the ins and outs of the Elantras, and have no problem having one. Last time I went to my home town, about 1 in 6 cars at a Best Buy were Beta Elantras. They are getting popular. But it’s a “boring” car, compared to the others that are listed. When I get onto EXD I laugh at people who are being told 150 hp will take cams, P/P, pulleys, exhaust, blah blah. It’s a econobox, and as such, to me, no offense meant to you, it’s boring. The rub is that I am not tied to anything. I am selfishly or unselfishly living for myself. If I kill myself being stupid, I have no child left fatherless, no widow. Does that mean I am going to try to kill myself, no, but now is the time to have fun. Mortage, 2.3 kids and the wide don’t necessarily allow for fun toys, at least for the man.

FowVay
yes, eight cylinders will drink fuel at high rpms, but with enough torque at 1800 rpms to power the car, mileage is surprisingly good.
About fuel, to be more precise about the price I am paying. I paid 125 yen per liter at the cheapest shop in town. It is as high as 132 for regular and plus 11 yen for Hi-oku. The going exchange rate is 116.1 and 3.785 liters in one gallon, and I come out with 4.07 dollars per gallon. It was the same in Chiba, and would probably be a little more in Tokyo. Oil changes are a little higher, road taxes are outrageous, inspection is a blasphemous cost, and the roads are small.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
I'm real happy with my 9-3. I have the low inertia turbo, so it only has 175 hp, but its 195 lb-ft of torque look like theyre coming from a diesel engine... flat as a tabletop from fast idle on up. I get 34-36 MPG regularly, including when sitting in a fair deal of traffic, and it fits my 6ft4, 225 lb athletic self wth ease and comfort.

Its safety is top notch, and the depreciation on these cars is pretty high, so you can surely find a great deal.

I'm not sure that it will do 14/high 13s, but with a computer upgrade, itll do 205 hp and be at least in thehigh 14s, with similar economy still.

but Ill stop there before people get mad that I like my car so much and suggest its 'pros' to others.

How about a civic Si or mazda 3?!? theyre such wonderful, awesome sports cars, apparently
tongue.gif
lol.gif

JMH

I like the turbo 4 banger's Saab uses for all the points you made.I just wish they made one with RWD.

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
Gas is $3.00 per gallon this morning. Just wait until after lunch

I agree.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
Hmm, Lets see, spend 10 grand on a uses car or get a free used car

Yea, unless you just had a brain stroke, the answer is fairly obvious.
wink.gif

I drive my 420rwhp LS1 SS every day to work. I love it and can't get enough. Running strictly freeway with the 6speed AC on at 78mph I get 26mpg. Going to work the same way only at 60 mph I get 31MPG. My SS has a full suspension setup and handles wonderful.

Shaman, no offense taken. I am laughing with you. All I have done to mine is a Tibby rear sway bar. Still OEM tires @ 35,000 miles. It is an economy sedan, nothing more or less. It is a pretty plain car compared to your other choices.

Still taking over payments on it will probably be the least expensive thing, and allow you to save for better. Also, not sure of the mileage, but if the title is kept in your parents name, you would still have the full 5 yr/60k bumper to bumper and 10 yr 100k powertrain warranty.

Are you on elantraclub also? Little less "ricer" than XD.

I will see about the payments. Yes, I am on elantra club too. The mileage should be about 20K right now, or a little more, and about the only reason that I would take the car is because I know where it has been, and there is a warranty.

I just started part two of research. I am currently checking on maintenence products for both the LS1 and 9-3. Parts are between 3 and 4 times cheaper for the LS1. Compared the Master cylinder, power steering pump, and the alternator, the things that I remember replacing alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back