Babysitting

My wife and I are 70. We babysit 4 days a week. 630AM-400PM. Monday we have two grandkids, a five year old and a 8 month old. Tuesday thru Thursday we have the 8 month old. Are we nuts? I’m trying to hold onto a part time crossing guard job just to get out of the house and make some walk around money. It’s not the money, we have plenty. Should we be doing this? This much?

You're not babysitting - you're grandparenting. I'm sure you're giving them much better childcare than a daycare would. Treasure the time you have with them - they will grow up quickly.

(Edit: But then again, four days a week might get to be a lot - I know I'm exhausted after a few hours with our grandkids, and there's always a lot of tidying up to do afterwards. Hard call either way.)

Last edited:
We love our grandkids and do babysit some, but we have a limit. We have done our time with our own young children and don't want to do that again. Are you nuts? maybe :)

Yes. I get it, we’re a bit nuts. But you’re right. The care we give them is so much better then they would get anywhere else. Just need a pep talk now and then. Run a quart low at times but we carry on.

i am 35 yrs old my wife being the bread maker in our household, since we relocated i left the workforce and work on the side so i can take care of our son. on those days i have side jobs my parents watch the boy. they love it and they love their grand-son. unless you feel you and your wife are missing out on life i would say you're doing a good thing watching your grand-babies. day care is costly you never know how good of care they will get and you'll save your grand-babies a lot of stomach bugs and other colds etc.

We looked after our 3 grand kids 3 days a week from before they could walk until they started school. For most that time I was still working the other 2 days but towards the end I retired. Now they are at school we miss them.

The experience was priceless especially given there is little chance of any more grand kids coming along. Just yesterday my 7 year old grand daughter called me and said - grand dad we need you to come and help with what they call Forest school. So today I rode 12 miles on the bike to get to my grand daughters school and volunteered for 2 hours. At this time of year forest school means getting very muddy and sitting on wet logs around the camp fire toasting marsh mellows. I love it, Kids imagination always surprises you and keeps you young.

i am 35 yrs old my wife being the bread maker in our household, since we relocated i left the workforce and work on the side so i can take care of our son. on those days i have side jobs my parents watch the boy. they love it and they love their grand-son. unless you feel you and your wife are missing out on life i would say you're doing a good thing watching your grand-babies. day care is costly you never know how good of care they will get and you'll save your grand-babies a lot of stomach bugs and other colds etc.
My friend was trained in early-childhood education (2-year diploma), and worked for decades in childcare. Knowing his character, I'm positive he did an excellent job. And yet, based on what he saw at work, he refused to put his own children in daycare.

My grandparents on both sides of the family spent lots of time with me [babysitting m, and well,,, spoiling me as loving grand parents do. I am almost 69 years old and I thank God in my prayers for my Grandparents and aunties and uncles.

My wife and I are 70. We babysit 4 days a week. 630AM-400PM. Monday we have two grandkids, a five year old and a 8 month old. Tuesday thru Thursday we have the 8 month old. Are we nuts? I’m trying to hold onto a part time crossing guard job just to get out of the house and make some walk around money. It’s not the money, we have plenty. Should we be doing this? This much?
Since you have to ask, yes you are doing too much.

My grandparents on both sides of the family spent lots of time with me [babysitting m, and well,,, spoiling me as loving grand parents do. I am almost 69 years old and I thank God in my prayers for my Grandparents and aunties and uncles.
Same for me. My grandparents lived 1 block from each other (my Dad's parents and my Mom's parents). Both sets of my grandparents were married for more than 50 years. They were all wonderful people. When I was in high school, I would often go sit and chat with my grandparents rather than go out. I miss them and have many many fond memories.

While it's very sweet and generous of you two to do the babysitting versus making your kids pay for their own child care, (which, imo, should be looked into and budgeted for before people start having kids) just make sure it doesn't end up in resentment. Learn to set limits and say no before it becomes too much and boils over.

Thanks for your responses. They are All correct in their own way. My grandkids are better off because of our efforts. Half times over..I hear a doorbell!

No you should not be doing any of it. Did someone do it for your parents when you were young?
I am one of three siblings, my parents adored our children to an extreme but we never burdened them with their care. A sleepover once in a great while? Yes but rare, spending time with them during the day was their option when they wanted.

To me, it seems for some reason the adult children with kids think grandparents have nothing better to do but babysit, if they want too fine but I don’t understand feeling obligated… you don’t have many quality years left in earth, enjoy it as you wish and your kids should be encouraging you not using you as their babysitter

My folks and her folks watched the twins when they were little. We paid it forward by watching my daughters kids. I'd rather help my wife raise my grandkids than let a day care center do it.

Back