Baby Found In Dumpster in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the news last night, another infant was found at less than a day old in a dumpster in Chicago - still had the umbilical cord attached.
Alive and well - will be adopted very soon.

But what made me laugh was that when the baby was shown on camera, the face was digitally blotted out "To protect it's identity.".
From who or what?? It's circle of friends?
It was so absurd I couldn't stop laughing.

BTW, as an aside, in Chicago a newborn less than 7 days old can be left at any police, fire dept, and a few other places with NO questions asked.
Odd law. So 7 days good, 8 bad?

I think Oklahoma has a law like that. There was some loophole in the law that was up to 18 years old that you could drop them off. I posted a thread a year ago or so about it. Some dude dropped off like 5 kids for state custody. Almost all of them were teenagers. He said he couldn't handle them anymore after his wife died.

Nebraska also had the loophole that you could legally drop a kid off at a hospital and the kid could be up to 18. A while back a guy dropped his whole family off. Now his girlfriend is again expecting. The funny(?) thing is that it's twins.
They recently changed the law to allow infants only.

Florida has that law.

This person should have called 911 from a pay phone and told them where the baby was. Very sad that a person would do that to a baby.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Nebraska also had the loophole that you could legally drop a kid off at a hospital and the kid could be up to 18. A while back a guy dropped his whole family off. Now his girlfriend is again expecting. The funny(?) thing is that it's twins.
They recently changed the law to allow infants only.

The Nebraska law also allowed out of staters to drop of their kids. There were a few cases of parents driving hundreds of miles to dump their teenagers in Nebraska.

Dropping off infants isn't a new idea. Dubrovnik Croatia had a window on a convent where you could anonymously drop off infants in the middle ages. I doubt they were the only city to have that.

It isn't clear how you determined the appropriateness of showing the baby's face since you are privy to zero facts in the case.

Perhaps caution is the most judicious option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I think Oklahoma has a law like that. There was some loophole in the law that was up to 18 years old that you could drop them off. I posted a thread a year ago or so about it. Some dude dropped off like 5 kids for state custody. Almost all of them were teenagers. He said he couldn't handle them anymore after his wife died.

I guess that was better than abondoning or abusing them ... I guess

Guy I know had a child at 16, he and the girl gave the kid a stupid acronym as a name.

At 20, he fought her for custody, and got very messy with the mud slinging etc. He got custody, her no access at all.

He's had another couple three children to two women. Things weren't working well with his first son and the two half siblings with the latest, so he decided to hand him over to the state.

Seriously, the boy is better off away from them, but I can't imagine how a 7 year old would deal with going out for a drive with Dad (regardless of how good that Dad is), and beiing dropped off to be put into foster care.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Watching the news last night, another infant was found at less than a day old in a dumpster in Chicago - still had the umbilical cord attached.
Alive and well - will be adopted very soon.

But what made me laugh was that when the baby was shown on camera, the face was digitally blotted out "To protect it's identity.".
From who or what?? It's circle of friends?
It was so absurd I couldn't stop laughing.

The baby did nothing wrong. Therefore it's innocent. Its innocence will be protected and anonymized.

He/she is already going to catch flack in 1st grade for being adopted... won't need an old printout of its baby picture and news story haunting him or her.

Laughter is about the furthest emotion I would feel at that story.

M.T.

Well, when I was in college a fetus/child was found in a garbage bin at the bottom of the garbage chute of graduate housing. After an investigation it was determined a Chinese student was accosted on the way to her dorm; she carried the child to near term @ which she delivered premature. Since she was a very sheltered child, she didn't understand what was going on, freaked, and suffered a metal breakdown and in the process killed the child. She was not uneducated or stupid. This didn't happen in a vacuum; her state of mind was backed up by numerous students.

Sort of broke the mold of people's expectations of reality.

These are some of the circumstances that occur that signal me to err of the side of caution; I'd rather find out what really happened than lay on a predetermined framework.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back