B164 Bypass dissection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentleman,

I got back two additional reply's from the Parker / Baldwin staff about the tiny hole in the filter.

I wrote to Randy again for clarification as to what he previously told me about the hole in the filter. I stated:
Just to clarify. The small hole in the cap is there to allow oil to flow freely through the filter (without being filtered) until the oil warms up enough (gets thinner) to be able to go through the actual pleated filter material? Am I understanding you correctly? Thanks for taking time out to help me with this.

Randy wrote back and said:
That is correct. By-pass filters will filter the oil over time so eventually the contaminants will be filtered out even with the warm up orifice.

Travis R. Winberg / Manager - Service Engineering /Parker Hannifin Corporation / Filtration Group also replied and said:
The small hole in the center of the B164 is a metering orifice to restrict flow through this filter so that the majority of the oil coming from the pump flows through the full-slow circuit. Only about 10% of the oil coming from the pump should flow through the by-pass flow circuit.

So there you go. That's the info they gave me on the hole in the dome end cup on the B164 Filter.

Well, i won't be running the Baldwin bypass filters. It doesn't get cold enough, nor is cold motor oil that thick.
After PC the b164 was not able to lower from oem filter.

So the WIX version does not have the "hole" and the Baldwin does have the "hole". Then, if you go with the information presented by the Randy from Baldwin, the WIX filter should, technically, not be able to work (until oil warms up) because the viscosity of cold oil will not flow through the filter due to the its viscosity. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this and need to move on. By the way, the wind chill factor is -24 here in Northern Ohio.

nuff said,

xtell

At those temps depending on where you mounted the filter it may be an issue, but I'd rather all the oil go through the filter. If it was an issue I'd think they would install a bypass.

If the hole is truely needed then why does my Frantz and Motor Guard filters work great when it's down below zero?

Last edited:
The hole restricts, slows down oil flow in the filter. Slower flow means the filter can more easily catch smaller particles. All bypass filters restrict oil flow with small holes. Most are about 1/16 of an inch.

Originally Posted by Purpfox
The first hole yes, but a second that bypasses the filter element no.

I saw mention of this second hole in this thread, where is that hole?
A bypassing hole bypassing a filter element in a bypass filter should not be needed, a bypass filter even if fully blocked, wont ever pressurize higher than stock oil pressure, and wont be blocking oil flow to the engine.

Last edited:
IF you look back to the bottom two photos, the first one is the hole in the filter element were in a conventional filter the relief valve would be. the last photo is the typical bypass element restriction. having a second hole after this means most of the oil will take the path of least resistance ( in this case not being filtered at all)

IF you look back to the bottom two photos, the first one is the hole in the filter element were in a conventional filter the relief valve would be. the last photo is the typical bypass element restriction. having a second hole after this means most of the oil will take the path of least resistance ( in this case not being filtered at all)

So the filter element has the large center hole on both ends. One hole is sealed by the bypass plate which has tiny hole, other is wide open.
Makes me think, the hole with the plug having the tiny hole should on the bottom and filter element with big hole at the top where it threads on to the base. So could they have assembled it backwards??

According to someone from Baldwin this filter is make this way on purpose. The little plug sits in the filter outlet as the restrictor. Ive ruled this filter out as it's not very effective at reducing the particle count or wear metals on a gas truck.

According to someone from Baldwin this filter is make this way on purpose. The little plug sits in the filter outlet as the restrictor. Ive ruled this filter out as it's not very effective at reducing the particle count or wear metals on a gas truck.

yes, if they really are all like this, then its bad design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back