B&S that started smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine in question is a B&S 15.5 HP vertical crankshaft single cylinder OHV on a Sears riding mower. Probably 5 to 10 years old but not used that much, mainly in the summer once a week for an hour or so. It recently started blowing blue smoke. I never noticed much if any smoke then one day I notice considerable amount of blue smoke especially when under a load or accelerating up to full RPM.

This year I tried some 10-30 that I had so the first thing I thought maybe it didn't like the multi-grade oil; changed it back to 30 weight and it still smokes. I drained gas to be sure I didn't use the 2 cycle gas by mistake. I put 2 oz of Lube Control in oil, ran that for an hour and changed the oil to see if a stuck ring would free itself but so far not much change. It is not any worse but it is not much better.

Today I cleaned the little square PCV but really couldn't tell if it had a little or a lot of oil in there. A little oil was in the rubber tube but not any showing on the intake manifold or carb. Spark plug is very oily but it seems to run strong I have never changed it though. I looked under the valve cover and it is very clean; I don't know if was always that way or if the Lube Control and oil change made it that way.

Engine still runs good and makes good power as far as I can tell.

So I am now thinking maybe a broken ring or bad valve guide or seal. Short of a teardown or a leak down test is there anyway to tell if it is either of these?

Any other things to check or reasons why it started this?

Thanks

The engine may be wearing a bit or how is the oil level is it over filled? or try a 15w/40 or a straight 40 I would try to do the easy stuff first then run it till it drops. Air cleaner been checked?

...I've never seen a B&S smoke a lot unless it was really, really old and had some several mechanical problems.

With that said, I'm running Pennz. Long-Life 15w-40 in a 20hp vertical-crank, L-Head, V-Twin engine. Had generic 30 weight in their before, and had consumption issues (probably burning off too!) after a few months of running.

Try some good 15w-40 (Pennz. Long-Life, Delo, Delvac) and see what happens.

Thank for the replys.

Steve S
I have the oil level down below the upper mark so I don't think it is that and I cleaned the air cleaner foam and the paper looked good. I hope it is not wore out yet but I guess I will see.

MolaKule

I tried to find a new PCV but couldn't find any shops with one in stock. That was my thought also. So I just cleaned it out the best I could with carb cleaner. I think I will try somemore places and see if I can find a new one and then I can be sure.

Jelly and Steve S

Before I give up I will try the 40 weight just to see if that will cover the problem.

Anyone ever have a problem with the oil getting past the valves on these engines?

If it mainly does it when the engine is under a load would that be an indication of rings.

I think I will try a new PCV first for under $5.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back