B.S. Story Of The Day!

I remember Mobil-1 advertising 25,000 mile OCI. Also remember M-1 heated in frying pan and regular oil burning up.

Back in the late 70’s or early 80’s,
I answered to a Chemical Engineer. Firmly believed in Mobil-1. Changed oil every spring, no matter how many miles he went. He did change oil filtet every 8,000 miles though Never had a problem.

Interesting note.
Chemical Engineers and Chemists do not get along. Each thinks there is no need for the other. 👿

Hmmm, You have peaked my interest. Memories can fade. I did a little search for some old M1 adds and it was 25K not 30. The weight was not specified on the tin cans. I think I made the link between the later 15w50 viscosity. So much for my old brain cells.😊
I have an original can I saved from the 70's. It says "SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil - Outperforms 10W-40 premium motor oil." And "Allows 25,000 miles between oil changes."

100k seems a stretch but you are seeing intervals in Europe creeping towards 20k miles. Curious what jet engines with ester based oil do as far as hours/miles flown? I realize they aren't ICE.
The Pratt equipped F-16 engines were pulled at 200 hours for disassembly and inspection. That was their OCI. I don't know what the schedule was for the GE engine (probably the same). Oil samples were taken after every flight. The oil we used was Mobil Aero (synthetic).

l’m old enough to remember when Mobil 1 was advertised to go 30 thousand miles before an oil change. It came I one multi viscosity 15w50.
Your memory is failing you. As one who has used M1 from 1978(5-20 was their only wt for gas engines) there has been a M1 oil advertised for 30K(miles) OCIs.

l’m old enough to remember when Mobil 1 was advertised to go 30 thousand miles before an oil change. It came I one multi viscosity 15w50.
I remember when the bottle said 24,000miles or one year or what manufacturer says.

I wish I could find it but I had read that in the early 70's a guy went 100,000 miles on what I believe was a big engine Ford or Lincoln for M1 demonstration. He had the engine torn down and it was in great shape. I saw the actual pictures of it.

I have that issue of popular science here somewhere.. the car was a lincoln and i think it was 1976 issue .

I don’t know what caused a Mobil 1 “engineer” to say it, but he said basically the same thing to a Toyota factory rep that I know...that their oil can last 60k, 70k, even a hundred thousand miles. It was back when Toyota was switching to 10,000 mile oil change intervals and they had Mobil 1 come in and talk to the reps, because I believe Mobil 1 used to make TGMO. Something like that.

Personally I shook my head and laughed when I heard this story and I never go last 5,000 miles on an oil change...well, maybe 7,000, but I’m usually at 5,000 on the dot.

I wish I could find it but I had read that in the early 70's a guy went 100,000 miles on what I believe was a big engine Ford or Lincoln for M1 demonstration. He had the engine torn down and it was in great shape. I saw the actual pictures of it.

All highway miles and an additional quart every 4000 mi of 5W-20 I'll buy it.

Back