B.S. Story Of The Day!

I recall that when synthetics first reached market, the stories suggested that if you could keep it clean and replenish the additive package, it would last 100k miles. As usual, YMMV.
Fleets to routinely replinish the additive based on oil analysis. Based on oil analysis and because my car feels peppier after an oil change, I do Mobil1 every 6000 miles.

Yesterday while working my part time job at the lube shop, a customer came in with an early 2000’s Chevy Silverado. While I was greasing all of the front end, I heard him ask for Mobil 1 full synthetic. He told the guy upstairs to set his sticker for 10,000 miles. When my coworker tried to tell him the maybe he should set it 6000 miles instead, he processed to tell us that he personally knows the guy who invented Mobil 1 synthetic oil and that it’s good for 100,000 miles. 100,000 miles!!! He said that it isn’t advertised as being a 100,000 mile oil because they want people to keep buying it. As he was pulling out of the bay, I was walking upstairs just to see who this nut was. People and their B.S. stories. He honestly left us half laughing, half shaking our heads.

L8R,
Matt
Perhaps he knows one of the inventors of the new ExxonMobil patent that uses a Group V alkylated naphthalene (AN) base oil capable of unthinkable oil-change intervals, which won a Thomas Edison patent award?

“In fact, the extended life that this new lubricant formulation provided was such a quantum leap from what the team expected that they weren’t prepared for what would happen next.

The lubricant was so durable that it was actually outlasting the equipment designed to test it out.

Once the team had developed testing protocols that could outlive the life of the lubricant, they found that their lubricants could last up to 24,000 hours – a benefit that would help countless customers reduce costs and improve productivity.”

A “mind-blowing” achievement that could make its way into your equipment

Make sure to watch the YouTube video at the link. The 100,000-mile-oil is real, obviously not in the form of the currently marketed Mobil 1 formulation though. Alkylated naphthalene not only has a very high oxidation resistance but also serves as a bulk antioxidant (as opposed to an antioxidant additive in a small concentration), increasing the oil-change interval by many factors. In other words alkylated naphthalene is a self-antioxidizing base oil.

Last edited:
What? No, I love chemists. They make it so I can spend my time doing worthwhile things instead of wasting time, doing nothing, and producing nil in the lab all day like they do. ;)
I also answered to a Statistician. Had me take a few statistics classes.
Learned a lot from him. (But mostly worked for Chemists and/of Chemical Engineers.). (BTW, all this was after I retired from the USN).

The guy was probably bs'ing, since the service adviser wanted to set him for a 6k OCI and he wanted a 10k, more of a "screw you pal" answer IMO.

Fleets to routinely replinish the additive based on oil analysis. Based on oil analysis and because my car feels peppier after an oil change, I do Mobil1 every 6000 miles.
If your engine actually runs better after an oil change, your service intervals may be too long. What do the oil analyses look like?

And magnets in your shoes. Never have understood the connection between motor oil , magnets and toilet paper.

Magnets and motor oil go well together, ie - magnets on oil filters (and/or the drain plug) can catch quite a bit of ferrous particles.

I'd laugh at both the customer and employees. 6,000 too soon, 100,000 preposterous.

Back