B.S. Story Of The Day!

Yesterday while working my part time job at the lube shop, a customer came in with an early 2000’s Chevy Silverado. While I was greasing all of the front end, I heard him ask for Mobil 1 full synthetic. He told the guy upstairs to set his sticker for 10,000 miles. When my coworker tried to tell him the maybe he should set it 6000 miles instead, he processed to tell us that he personally knows the guy who invented Mobil 1 synthetic oil and that it’s good for 100,000 miles. 100,000 miles!!! He said that it isn’t advertised as being a 100,000 mile oil because they want people to keep buying it. As he was pulling out of the bay, I was walking upstairs just to see who this nut was. People and their B.S. stories. He honestly left us half laughing, half shaking our heads.

L8R,
Matt

100k seems a stretch but you are seeing intervals in Europe creeping towards 20k miles. Curious what jet engines with ester based oil do as far as hours/miles flown? I realize they aren't ICE.

I recall that when synthetics first reached market, the stories suggested that if you could keep it clean and replenish the additive package, it would last 100k miles. As usual, YMMV.

100k seems a stretch but you are seeing intervals in Europe creeping towards 20k miles. Curious what jet engines with ester based oil do as far as hours/miles flown? I realize they aren't ICE.
Turbine engines are different

A long long time ago a co-worker had his company car oil changed at a Mobil station and was told that they had this great new oil that was good for the life of the car. He only had to change the oil filter on a schedule and add enough oil to fill the filter. The oil was very expensive and my co-worker got a lot of flack from our boss for spending that much on an oil change. Our fleet office required 5K oil changes no matter what oil was used. A memo was sent out telling us to use regular oil and not try anything new without permission.

Last edited:
l’m old enough to remember when Mobil 1 was advertised to go 30 thousand miles before an oil change. It came I one multi viscosity 15w50.

l’m old enough to remember when Mobil 1 was advertised to go 30 thousand miles before an oil change. It came I one multi viscosity 15w50.

Don't remember that. I do remember the 5W-20 that was supposed to be used in the place of 10W-30 conventional.

Don't remember that. I do remember the 5W-20 that was supposed to be used in the place of 10W-30 conventional.
Hmmm, You have peaked my interest. Memories can fade. I did a little search for some old M1 adds and it was 25K not 30. The weight was not specified on the tin cans. I think I made the link between the later 15w50 viscosity. So much for my old brain cells.😊

I wish I could find it but I had read that in the early 70's a guy went 100,000 miles on what I believe was a big engine Ford or Lincoln for M1 demonstration. He had the engine torn down and it was in great shape. I saw the actual pictures of it.

Back