B&S 7.75HP Snowblower Engine Seized

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was filled with oil. When engine seized found no oil in engine? Big snowstorm in Buffalo with feet of snow.

Found that the bottom, oil fill plastic cap?, had come off and all the oil blew out. With feet of snow had no indication it was blowing out.

If I buy a replacement I will safety wire the cap in place.

Think I got the right replacement engine here. Will remove old and buy the attached.
link: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Product...1e1CO/2647421/s

Last edited:
I would pour MMO down spark plug hole (wait a few hours), fill crankcase with oil and try and turn crankcase maybe with wrench. You may get it started. Assuming nothing broke.

$300 is something. Not going with a $100 Chonda? Sorry about your casualty.

What width machine is this going on? You have tons of options depending on if you want it to look exactly the same or not. Your two critical dimensions are baseplate pattern which is one of about two standards and the crank being 3/4 or 1 inch, though you can buy pulleys or sleeve 3/4 up to 1. Briggs, tecumseh, and chonda all share mounting schemes.

The HF 7 hp Predator will usually run a 24" blower pretty well but get boggy on something bigger.

I've seen this happen before. Those little plastic caps have to be on really tight or they loosen with engine vibration. Did anything break inside when it seized?

What Donald said, it would be worth a try. It worked for me on an old chainsaw years ago.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would pour MMO down spark plug hole (wait a few hours), fill crankcase with oil and try and turn crankcase maybe with wrench. You may get it started. Assuming nothing broke.

Thank you for your helpful reply.
Good idea, I happen to have a few oz of MMO left. If not enough, I do have ATF.

For those who asked, 26 inch Craftsman model 536.887750

If the engine is a direct replacement, I'd buy it, but will wait a few days. i don't want to do any engineering, trying to fit another engine. I bought the machine in 2002 but don;t have many hours on it. Use my 5HP single stage a lot more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I've seen this happen before. Those little plastic caps have to be on really tight or they loosen with engine vibration. Did anything break inside when it seized?

I don't know, I saw the mentioned problem and didn't break it down future. I figured I'll buy new engine and keep the old for parts, which I'll probably never need.

Last edited:
205cc seems small for 7.5hp, 173cc is usually around 5 or 5.5hp.

just for comparison HF has a 305cc "8hp" for 229$

if you are buying a new briggs maybe spend a bit extra on a slightly larger one or commercial grade one.

300$ seems full price for that one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
205cc seems small for 7.5hp, 173cc is usually around 5 or 5.5hp.

just for comparison HF has a 305cc "8hp" for 229$

if you are buying a new briggs maybe spend a bit extra on a slightly larger one or commercial grade one.

300$ seems full price for that one.

Yes, BUT I want electric start and a snowblower engine with a direct fit. Don't want to do any engineering to get a different engine to fit. Small,tight, packed garage and it's cold outside. Plus it will be delivered to my door. The old engine will be kept for parts.

Hope the engine is New Old Stock and "Made in the USA".

Last edited:
Sorry for your issue, a real bummer. And a bad time, read that as an understatement.

Your plan seems the best for a direct fit and least hassle for you.

Can only imagine what it's like up your way. Been streaming a Buffalo TV station for a few days. Staggering and unbelievable.

Good luck and hang in.

Ronbo, good call on the E-start, and I hear you for not wanting to deal w/ any retrofit issues this time of year. I broke the recoil on my Tecumseh 7hp, 24" machine, and thank GOODNESS for the E-start for backup. I hadn't used the E-start on it in many years and it took a few whacks and some prayer for the bendix to finally engage. I ordered a whole new recoil on eBay for $30.

I'm out in West Falls and haven't seen this kind of snow as long as I've been dealing with it.

Does the model begin with 917 (Husqvarna) or 247 (MTD). I would be inclined to spend more $$ for a new engine (if needed) for a Husqvarna than MTD.

26 inch Craftsman model 536.887750
engine is Briggs and Stratton Engines 7.75 HP Intek Snow Series Horizontal Engine
link on my first post

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Does the model begin with 917 (Husqvarna) or 247 (MTD). I would be inclined to spend more $$ for a new engine (if needed) for a Husqvarna than MTD.

engine is Briggs and Stratton Engines 7.75 HP Intek Snow Series Horizontal Engine
link on my first post

Ronbo, I *think* that may be an older Murray designed unit. Pretty good stuff IMO, better than MTD. Hang in there. I'm almost out of fuel w/ no way to get more. Never had snow scare me before.. Not like this.

**EDIT: Indeed that is a Murray design. I for sure would re-power it if the rest of the machine is decent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: ronbo

link on my first post

Ronbo, I *think* that may be an older Murray designed unit. Pretty good stuff IMO, better than MTD. Hang in there. I'm almost out of fuel w/ no way to get more. Never had snow scare me before.. Not like this.

**EDIT: Indeed that is a Murray design. I for sure would re-power it if the rest of the machine is decent.

Thanks for your reply. The mfg date is 01225, think I bought in 2002.

It looks like new since I use my single stage 5HP and used the Big machine on the driveway apron when the city dumps snow during street cleaning and during big snow events. There where many years that I never use the machine.

The machine is OK but sorry I didn't buy an Ariens.

I'll be removing 4 feet of snow from my low slope (4 in 12) garage and the back addition of my house. I have a snow rake. Warm weather and rain on the way. The rain is bad since the snow on roof will absorb it like a sponge, adding much weight. That's what the Emergency Officials claim.

I do the MMO soak thing today on the bad engine and try to turn the engine over in a few days. If not will order the new engine next week.

I've broken free a ton of seized engines over the years. If nothing is broken, you should be able to unstick it and get it running again. Soak the cylinder in oil through the spark plug hole and then use a breaker bar on the crank shaft nut back and forth.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've broken free a ton of seized engines over the years. If nothing is broken, you should be able to unstick it and get it running again. Soak the cylinder in oil through the spark plug hole and then use a breaker bar on the crank shaft nut back and forth.

Thanks for your reply.

Yesterday I pulled the plug and added 2 oz. of MMO that I had left. I'll let it soak a few days then try the breaker bar . I was also thinking if the breaker bar does work, to use an impact gun.

I hope I have your luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back