B.F. Goodrich Long Trails ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of them as a summertime tire for a Jeep Cherokee.I have the All Terrains for winter and like them alot.Thanks in advance.

I had them on my old Chevy S10 P/U. When they were new, they were great. Super quiet, half decent in the rain...and they seemed to last a long time. But once the tread was down to about 5/32nds they turned into a completely different tire. I couldn't wait to get `em off the truck.

[ February 13, 2006, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Brikhead ]

They came stock on my wife's Santa Fe. They are just about bald, and we only have about 33,000 on them.

At about 1/2 tread, they started hydro-planing bad (luckly we havn't had much rain here for a long time).

On the plus side, they are very easy to balance and ride really smooth. But I am looking for something different to replace these with.

My opinion, the price it to high for the quality of the tire. There are a lot of other tires that would give me 33K for way less money.

Brian

The BF Goodrich that come on the Fords have a low to acceptable rating. As replacements the Firestone Destination and Uniroyal Laredo's are better. Tirerack!

i sell a few of them, mostly to people that want to keep the OEM tires. they are expensive and dont carry any mileage warrenty. people usually opt for Michelin CrossTerrains or Bridgestone Dueller H/Ts over the long trails.

I have Dueler H/T's on my new Tundra and I would not recommend them as a summer replacement tire. 180 B B rating, almost no dry grip, quiet and smooth riding though.

The Dueler A/T actually grips better on dry roads, even if it is an all-terrain type. The price is higher and ride a little harder, but they last longer.

Jimbo..I will never buy another Firestone/Bridgestone product after one of their 721's almost killed me and my family back in the 70's.Tread separation is not a new anomoly with this company.I think I'll stick with the Long Trail decision..Thanx.

Greaser - had the same experience with the same type tire from Firestone, only had 2k miles on it when it blew doing 60mph.

Have had several sets of car, truck, and SUV tires from them since without issue, many lasting well into the 60k range.

However, my 1st set of tires that came on my latest SUV were the BFG Long Trails - LOVED them. But I did live in the desert, very little contact with rain, snow, ice; but they wore like iron on that hot desert pavement. And they were actually quite good in the sand; they lasted 68k miles.

When I switched them out, they still had plenty of tread left, but they were 5yrs old and each tire had at least 4-5 patches, they were declared unsafe at that point. Was not happy with the fact that they seem to be extra prone to holes.

Would not buy a set, personally though, as I now live in Colorado, and I've heard they are not good in the rain and snow.

If I were you, I'd try a set of Yokohama Geolander A/T III.

I generally recommend against any Goodyear tire, they are just horribly slippery; but I've heard their new truck tires have improved.

Take a look at the General AT Grabber 2. The tread pattern is VERY similar to the BFG T/A KO which cost a good bit more than the General tire. These tires look and perform awesome and nothing out there compares for the price. I have searched and research tires for 2 months. Oh yea, and they carry a 640 tread wear 60k mile warranty as well.

BF's are crappy stock Ford tires.
I took a set a 17" off my '05 Explorer and went with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L's.
Very happy with the Alenza's .

JUNK! Horrible tire, there are much better tires out ther for the same price.

I have them on my Ranger now. My previous BFG AT KO's were much better in every respect except for noise. They handle poorly, sqeual like pigs on off ramps. They break loose so easily in rain, I can spin both tires at 30-40mph in second gear at half throttle (found this out yesturday and that convinced me these tires have to go). My AT's stuck in all of those same situations. As soon as I can afford to they are being replaced.

I actually have a set of the LongTrails on a Cherokee, with about 10K miles on them. They've worked fine for me; quiet, easily balanced, good in rain and even light snow. They still look new as to tread wear.

I watch inflation pressures and alignment closely (32#). My original reason for buying them was the price; they were cheaper than comparable brands, and I've owned BFGs in the past. No complaints so far...

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Miller:
They came stock on my wife's Santa Fe. They are just about bald, and we only have about 33,000 on them.

At about 1/2 tread, they started hydro-planing bad (luckly we havn't had much rain here for a long time).

On the plus side, they are very easy to balance and ride really smooth. But I am looking for something different to replace these with.

My opinion, the price it to high for the quality of the tire. There are a lot of other tires that would give me 33K for way less money.

Brian

Update: Just ordered a set of Firestone Destination LEs from Tirerack.

I was hoping to get a few more thousand out of these since any risk of snow or ice is gone for the year.

One of the tires has started to seperate bad! They all 4 have dry rot as well. I don't know if it makes any difference, but these OEM tires on our Santa Fe are made in Tiawan?

Final thought, BFG makes on heck of an off-road tire, but I will never buy another street tire from them again!
nono.gif

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back