AZ managers comments on $1 clearance oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
was in my local AZ today and asked if they had any $1 clearance oils left. He said he didnt and to call around to the other stores. He said that they had either sold it all, or DUMPED IT IN THEIR USED OIL BIN!!!

I guess this would be cheaper than shipping it back to the warehouse or whatever, but just throwing it out?

Think this guy was right or just making stuff up?

pat.gif
freak2.gif
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by askoop:
or DUMPED IT IN THEIR USED OIL BIN!!!

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrggh!
mad.gif

What kind of sick person would do that? And I only need 21 more quarts to make the 200 quart stash. Aaaaaaaaarrrrrggh!
mad.gif

Yea, it was mentioned a while back that that is what they were going to do with it. I hit 5 AZ the next 2 days, and all 5 were sold out, and I asked if it was dumped or sold, and they all said sold, and 2 confirmed it was to be dumped if they had any left.

That so wasteful
nono.gif
Wouldn't a sign with 4 letters (F-R-E-E) be a more effective way of getting rid of surplus
dunno.gif

it's not that uncommon... back when my little brother worked at Wal-Mart (a good 8 years ago)as a stockman, there were several times where he had to lug brand new but out dated computers to the trash compactor. he asked the store manager if he could have one, the manager told him that Wal-Mart can't risk a given away computer coming back and being returned for cash/merchandise.

-Bret

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
QUOTE:
That so wasteful ouldn't a sign with 4 letters (F-R-E-E) be a more effective way of getting rid of surplus

Lost sales occur when a customer walks in the store -- then leaves with 5 free quarts instead of 5 paid quarts.

A good way to get rid of these quart jugs is to offer an incentive of 5 free dino quarts with any single case purchase of a non-sale dino oil brand. Can do the same with blends & synthetics.... just reduce the volume of jugs for free.

One of the AZ I went to was giving up to six qts of oil free if you bought an oil filter, drain pan, funnel, and paper towels. I got 12 qts of M1 and Havoline Syn plus 2 of everything listed above for $20. I ten went to another AZ and returned everything except the oil. So I got 12 qts for free.

I liked the idea mentioned here, where they gave it to firemen or trade schools.

They probably took a tax write off for "outdated merchandise".

Who knows, maybe even castrol doesn't want their own brand becoming a "discount brand." They might have ordered, say, the bottle caps returned to them much like a bookseller returning a book cover and trashing the rest of the book as "unsold".

QUOTE:
That so wasteful ouldn't a sign with 4 letters (F-R-E-E) be a more effective way of getting rid of surplus

Lost sales occur when a customer walks in the store -- then leaves with 5 free quarts instead of 5 paid quarts.

A good way to get rid of these quart jugs is to offer an incentive of 5 free dino quarts with any single case purchase of a non-sale dino oil brand. Can do the same with blends & synthetics.... just reduce the volume of jugs for free.

I hope advance doesn't do the same thing with redline!!
some people here actually acused some of us oil hoarders of indirectly increasing the price of gas. We saved orphaned oil! I agree with the other statements, they should have been agressive with buy XXX and get 5 quarts free. It may have helped autozone's image a little bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back