Axle grease...

Is STP Hi-Temp premium grease acceptable to apply to CV axle splines? The Death Zone auto parts guy said he just uses ALL-PURPOSE grease. Figured this might be a little better. Says it can be used in wheel bearings, so I figures it would work well.

Is STP Hi-Temp premium grease acceptable to apply to CV axle splines? The Death Zone auto parts guy said he just uses ALL-PURPOSE grease. Figured this might be a little better. Says it can be used in wheel bearings, so I figures it would work well.

I’d use what ever you have on hand. Splines really just want something to keep them from rusting and being a pita next time you need to get it apart. I’ve used Lucas red n tacky and antiseize on my vehicles.

just my $0.02

It will work fine and is a better product then the all-purpose type. CV Splines don't need anything special.

Any wheel bearing grease will serve you well. I use an aluminum complex grease from High Performance Lubricants.

0304211717.jpg

I don't know if I'd use that. It's ~179,000 cSt @ 40*C and 30-60% castor oil. Just grab a cheap tube of GC-LB NLGI 1-2 grease.

Yeah. I ended up using the strawberry jam colored STP stuff in the Planter's peanuts looking can. Used a plastic knife to spread it evenly onto the axle splines.
image.jpg

Back