Axes, Fix or Replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I bought a house a few years back and found a couple old axes lying around. I have been leaning towards buying a new 16 or 26 inch Estwing Camping Axe model E44A or E45A. I have also considered the Estwing EFF4SE 4-Pound Special Edition"Fireside Friend" Wood Splitting Axe/Maul with Shock Reduction Grip and the Fiskars X11 17 inch axe. Upon reading many articles, it seemed to imply that fixing up an older axe might be the most cost effective choice and would provide me with the highest carbon steel head, whereas todays axes are softer metal and not as good at keeping an edge. Now, to explain what I plan to use it for.. it will be used 95% of the time to cut up medium pieces of firewood for my backyard firepit. I will likely buy a cord of wood and need an axe to cut it up in smaller pieces. I may also use it to cut the odd tree down here or there but rarely. I have a hard time deciding on brand, let alone length and type of model to purchase. I can get a 16 inch Estwing camping axe for about 50$, so it seems like a decent option but unsure of how good they are (reviews seem good) Please see the picture of the two axes I have and let me know if you think its worth me cleaning them up and sharpening them for use or if you think id best just buy something new.. any and all advice is appreciated! Id like to choose something that cuts well but could also maybe be brought along camping as well. If you suggest a new option, I would like to keep the cost to about 75$ max. Thanks!

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Definitely fix them. Wire brush and paint. Reset the handle wedge to tighten, sand the handle and a coat of linseed oil.Sharpen with a wet stone to a super sharp edge. I just did that to an old axe and love it.

I've put numerous new handles on axe and sledge hammer heads. Sharpen it up and unless it is cracked, it's good to go.

Get the Fireside Friend and report on it please. I've wanted one of those for a while.

I thought the special editions were black with leather handles? I have a special edition hammer of that configuration.

Def. refurbish them...

an old timers trick for slop in the head/handle interface, likely from the wood drying out... is to stand it head first in a bowl/bucket/pan/what have you of good Ethylene Glycol...

If you go to estate sales or garage sales, you can get another one cheaper than repairing the one you have.

But when I do repair handles, I stock a handful of small oak wedges and steel wedges to jam in the slot of the new handle end. The head is going nowhere... not even a tiny wiggle when I finish with it.

As far as use goes, mine are mostly used to chop tree roots or roots of bushes, depending on what I'm doing with the landscaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back