Awkward conversation with an Amsoil dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago when I was at work I saw a guy with an Amsoil hat. I commented "Nice hat" and smiled. He smiled back. He asked if I'm running their products in my car. I replied, "No, I can't find an Amsoil synthetic oil with the Volkswagen 503.01 approvals. (Their Euro formula only covers 501.01, 502.00 and 505.00) I'm running German Castrol right now." Before I could even finish he became like belligerent and asked in a loud voice, "So you don't want to save money, huh? With Amsoil, you'd save 4mpg on gas minimum and only have to change your oil once a year!" He acted outraged. I just kind of smiled and acted distracted by something else. He wouldn't drop it. He went on to say while yelling, "Aren't you tired of spending $25 every two months on oil changes? You know, the oil they use does your motor more harm than good. With reduced engine wear, longer time between oil changes and improved gas mileage, you'd save money over what you're using now..." I replied, " WOW That's very tempting. Do you have a card so I can contact you to perchance some of this oil immediately?" He handed me one and walked away without saying anything.

Instead of attempting to answer my doubt about their European oils in my engine, he tainted my perception of Amsoil. What a complete moron.

yeah hate people that tries to push their product down our throats. should call the amsoil office and report this moron. dont know what they can or will do. but never hurt.

sounds like a guy that hasnt been in the game for that long. and thinks the product cant sell its self.

He must have assumed the common person knows nothing about synthetic oils and that there is no other synthetic on the market besides Amsoil. Well, not to mention the fact that he's not so informed himself. It was like it was impossible for him to fathom that I change my own oil and am not a complete idiot because I don't use Amsoil.

I don't know. It may not be very wise of me to become so tainted on a product because of this, but I don't think I'll buy an Amsoil product as long as I live. Complete moron. I might report him.

Since you've tested the waters you should catch an Amsoil rep at a local state fair some time, go see the pro-show.

Too bad you didn't meet him in the parking lot so you could see his wares in the back of his *** van decorated with Amsoil logos and talking points.

It's hard to take any product seriously that's marketed like over-priced vitamins by a MLM evangelist.

Dealers like him have no clue. Don't waste your breath other than to tell him (politely) he should get better informed about lubrication and his products.

Maybe that's why you should deal with the Amsoil site sponsors here.

Also I need to point out that Amsoil AFL 5W-40 does indeed meet 503.01. (So again that guy didn't know squat) In writing from Amsoil HQ:

quote:

In response to your inquiry, the 5W-40 meets Diamler Chrysler 229.3, 229.4, and 229.5 specifications. It also meets VW 502.00, 505.00, and 503.01. There is no reference to the VW 503.00 specification.

I thought the Amsoil 5W40 was too thick to meet the 229.5 MB specs?

quote:

In response to your inquiry, the 5W-40 meets Diamler Chrysler 229.3, 229.4, and 229.5 specifications. It also meets VW 502.00, 505.00, and 503.01. There is no reference to the VW 503.00 specification.

Pablo, I've never heard of the MB 229.4 spec, when did it come out?

Sorry 229.4 is a stupid typo.
pat.gif

Pabs,

I'm glad we have guys like you around and I would encourage any Amsoil fans in our group to indeed follow your advice and buy from you sponsors. If I were not a diehard GC guy the only thing that would cause me to drag my feet on AFL is that it is not made by Elves...unless you know something I don't.
wink.gif

Response from AMSoil Corporate Headquaters:

"...our AFL product line is indeed blended by small, dwarfish men of enchanting origin. They meet the criteria of Elves, but we do not test them on their actual Elf status. Our Elf-type employees are fully compatible with true Elves in every test we have conducted. I hope this clears up the matter for once and for all." -AMSoil Corporate HQ

That oil bottle shown on that link still has the name "Peugeot" misspelled too.
wink.gif

That's a good catch!! I don't have any bottles to check......I don't want to complain, no one drives a poo-joe anymore, anyway
smile.gif

It looks to be spelled OK on the site.

Thanks for the link Pablo! But that site shows no mention of the VW 503.01 or the MB 229.5 which was in your post above. Did they update the formulation to not include those specs now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back