Average oci using synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello y'all, here in southern calif. mine is between 6000-7000 miles, using oem filter. My truck is used for deliveries, but with a lot of freeway miles. Thanks for all input.

Last edited:
Average may not be that useful if your driving patterns differ from others. This is when you do that UOA to figure out what the safe OCI is in your case.

Average for me...3000 miles. 3000 miles of 5 or less mile trips. So it takes a while.

I do 5k (plus 5k) each time. Change at 10k. Decantation in between.

2 steps:
1) 5k decantle;
2) take the previous decanted and put more 5k on it and recycle at the end. New charge of fresh and start over again ...

Just don't rely on filters, even new they aren't up to the task.

Originally Posted By: Rosetta
I do 5k (plus 5k) each time. Change at 10k. Decantation in between.

2 steps:
1) 5k decantle;
2) take the previous decanted and put more 5k on it and recycle at the end. New charge of fresh and start over again ...

Just don't rely on filters, even new they aren't up to the task.

?

When the OLM tells me to change, or when it hits 1 year.
smile.gif

Depends on vehicle, conditions, driver.

On the Legacy I run ~4k oci. (severe service oci is 3750, btw.)

I'll run the "full factory oci" of 7.5k on the fozz with synthetic.

Boxster gets changed by time, not milage, as miles never get high enough to factor. Dumped 9.2qs of Castrol 5w-40 with 2500 miles on it this spring...

Last edited:
I tend to change oil around 5,000 miles regardless of the oil type used. I may up that in the near future, depending on my driving conditions.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Average for me...3000 miles. 3000 miles of 5 or less mile trips. So it takes a while.

But you keep the filter on for 2 OCIs right?

I'm averaging around 6500 miles per OCI on synthetic on the Honda and 3500 miles per OCI on the Acura.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tacoguy714
Hello y'all, here in southern calif. mine is between 6000-7000 miles, using oem filter. My truck is used for deliveries, but with a lot of freeway miles. Thanks for all input.

tacoguy714,

In my 08' Impala SS and 2013 Camaro/RS I always go by my OLM monitor and so it indicates for me to do my OCI's every 6K. By the time I reach that mileage figure it'll take most of the year anyways and my manual tells me to change it regardless every 12 months.

Durango

My 2013 Silverado with a 5.3L, when the OLM gets below 10%, which is roughly 7500 miles, give or take. The 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel, 11,000 miles. The Detroit Series 60 in my semi, 22,500, which is 50% over normal OEM recommended drain interval on that engine. Thinking of going to 25K since samples look good. Detroit grants allowance over the standard Series 60 15K interval to 22,500 if a 93K218 spec'd oil is used. Mine meets that. Will run the next one to 25K and see how it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back