Avast Secure Online / CCleaner question

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Just updated Avast free version (the program version, not just virus definitions), and it looks a bit different and gave me this notification that Secure Online is not enabled...
Under tools you get this: (see screen shot):
What IS this ? should I enable it or leave it off?

2. CCleaner also updated (program version) after a long time, and now it's sitting in the task bar, and saying something like ACTIVE PROTECION IS ON .. is this a new feature? I didn't think CCleaner FREE had any ACTIVE protection/monitoring... I think it monitors cookies and stuff?

Do you guys leave this on? for now I have "exited" CCleaner in task bar, and quite the "monitoring"...
I don't want this slowing the system down, esp. on our small netbook.

Thanks for any answers/feedback.

The Avast secure line is a pay product soon as you click to enable it it asks you to buy it.

The CCleaner I think you have a professional free trial... IIRC the free version doesn;t offer monitoring.

Re: CCleaner, it's a new feature in the latest version of the free version. there's even a monitoring tab under the settings screen.

CCleaner 4.18
Change log:

Added Active System Monitoring for Free users
Improved Firefox Saved Password cleaning
Improved Opera History cleaning
Improved 64-bit build architecture for Window 8 and 8.1
Added Ashampoo Burning Studio 14, XnView and FastStone Capture cleaning
Improved localization support
Minor GUI Improvements
Minor bug fixes

Ah! Thanks, guys.

Just another Avast 'ad' I guess. They sure have a lot of them now
smirk.gif

I guess I will let CCleaner do the active monitoring for a bit and see if it affects performance / speed.

Re: CCleaner....

You can turn the "Stay active in task bar off by going here:

Open CCleaner - Then, Options/Monitoring/Enable or Disable Active monitoring. (Uncheck the two boxes)

This way... it will behave just like the previous version and not stay active in your task bar.

Hope this helps.

Just fyi CCLEANER Free now has unwanted toolbars bundled with it.

I was going to download it just to look at it.. but eset blocked it for having toolbars
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
Re: CCleaner....

You can turn the "Stay active in task bar off by going here:

Open CCleaner - Then, Options/Monitoring/Enable or Disable Active monitoring. (Uncheck the two boxes)

This way... it will behave just like the previous version and not stay active in your task bar.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

The standard installer for the free CCleaner has had an unwanted toolbar for a long time, but I've always found the option to exclude the toolbar from the setup. I haven't tried the latest, however.

I appreciate that 'free' software eventually has to bring the authors some income, and suspect that the bundled toolbar is for this purpose.

Piriform does have 'slim' versions of many of their installers that contain no extras like toolbars.

I just find it IRONIC that CCLEANER a program to remove junk is bundled with junk. Surely there is a better way to drum up a few $$$

A 'slim' version of CCleaner can be downloaded from the builds page. The slim version adds nothing. It's just the program itself.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I just find it IRONIC that CCLEANER a program to remove junk is bundled with junk. Surely there is a better way to drum up a few $$$

Exactly.

Maybe it's splitting hairs, but CCleaner is not an adware/malware cleaning software, right? The "junk" it removes is temporary files, extraneous registry entries, etc. I agree that it'd be nice if it didn't include other software, but the kind of "junk" it removes is different from the kind of "junk" with which it's bundled, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back