Avalon V-6 mileage ?

What gas mileage do you get from an Avalon 6 cyl in actual use? I read things and hear things, but trust the guys here to give me the best information.
Thanks
Smoky

What year is said Avalon? Roughly 22 for older, 27 for 2013+. Wildly depends on driving habits, outside temperature, ac usage, idling, mechanical condition etc

I’m averaging 29 in mine (2016). Great car, and I probably could average a little better than that if I tried, but lately I just haven’t.

74,000 miles, 29.0 mpg lifetime, 3.5 V6

Depends on how you drive - I drive pretty normally (faster speeds on the highway and reasonably brisk acceleration, but not accelerating into red lights or that type of thing, and keeping a steady speed/avoiding unnecessary braking), and I can beat the EPA highway and city estimates on most everything I've driven. I have a lifetime average of nearly 32 in my Camry rated 25/35, and can get nearly 30 out of our newer Sienna.

A neighbor has a '13 or '14 Avalon with the 3.5 and I've driven that in mixed city/highway and returned 30-31 or so on trips of a hundred miles without particularly trying. For one of that generation with the V6, I'd guess low 20s would be the basement (barring super short trips in harsh winter weather) and you could pull 32-33ish out of it on the highway. Newer ones should be higher by a few mpg or so.

What years?

My aunt has a 16' Avalon with 70k miles I've driven a lot of. The computer mpg is pretty spot on, and it usually says 25.8 mpg, she drives quite fast too. That's a good mix of city and highway driving, more favored on the highway driving. Since Covid, traffic has been better and she has a better route to work with a new freeway in town, so less traffic there too, it's in the 27's.

We took it on a 5k mile road trip to Seattle, Montana, and back to Phoenix in 2017 and it got 28.8 mpg. That's through Yosemite, the Redwoods, Olympic, Glacier, and Yellowstone National Parks, 80 mph interstate driving, and foot to the floor redlined passing on the highway (car was brand new, we were having fun).

I'm I pressed with the mpg and power.
9BDEFDF8-55FF-45E4-BC19-9F310BA3E0B7.jpg

Depends on how you drive - I drive pretty normally (faster speeds on the highway and reasonably brisk acceleration, but not accelerating into red lights or that type of thing, and keeping a steady speed/avoiding unnecessary braking), and I can beat the EPA highway and city estimates on most everything I've driven. I have a lifetime average of nearly 32 in my Camry rated 25/35, and can get nearly 30 out of our newer Sienna.

A neighbor has a '13 or '14 Avalon with the 3.5 and I've driven that in mixed city/highway and returned 30-31 or so on trips of a hundred miles without particularly trying. For one of that generation with the V6, I'd guess low 20s would be the basement (barring super short trips in harsh winter weather) and you could pull 32-33ish out of it on the highway. Newer ones should be higher by a few mpg or so.
I agree 100% and you’re correct, you can average 31 and even 32 in the Avalon if you try...lots of highway driving at 68 mph in 70-80 degree weather. And I did do that for a spell. Winter always kills my mileage...as soon as the temps reach low 40’s-mid 30’s, it starts to drop, and in the dead of winter when it’s hitting 0-10 degrees, my Mikeage will drop anywhere from 2-3 mpg’s bellow my summer driving.

I‘ve been driving a lot faster on the highways recently, traffic seems to be moving much faster than I ever remember it. Not sure if it’s because the weather is good or because the highway traffic is much lighter because of summer vacations, but if I go 70 mph in the middle lane? I’m run off the road. Fast lane? I used to be able to drive 72-75 and get away with that until that one guy ripped up your butt and you’d move out of the way. Now? I need to do 80-85 in the fast lane if I want to stay in it for a little while. It’s getting nuts. But I’m still averaging 29.

What years?

My aunt has a 16' Avalon with 70k miles I've driven a lot of. The computer mpg is pretty spot on, and it usually says 25.8 mpg, she drives quite fast too. That's a good mix of city and highway driving, more favored on the highway driving. Since Covid, traffic has been better and she has a better route to work with a new freeway in town, so less traffic there too, it's in the 27's.

We took it on a 5k mile road trip to Seattle, Montana, and back to Phoenix in 2017 and it got 28.8 mpg. That's through Yosemite, the Redwoods, Olympic, Glacier, and Yellowstone National Parks, 80 mph interstate driving, and foot to the floor redlined passing on the highway (car was brand new, we were having fun).

I'm I pressed with the mpg and power.View attachment 64423
I own a 2016, and although it’s not exactly what I’d call a fun car, or a fancy car, it’s unbelievably reliable and much quicker/faster than I ever imagined it would be. I can rip the front tires at any speed bellow 40. Just step on it and it’ll lay rubber. Not that I do it often, it’s an Avalon, but the thing goes, it steers extremely well, it handles very well. The backseat legroom is enormous and the trunk is huge.

I own a 2016, and although it’s not exactly what I’d call a fun car, or a fancy car, it’s unbelievably reliable and much quicker/faster than I ever imagined it would be. I can rip the front tires at any speed bellow 40. Just step on it and it’ll lay rubber. Not that I do it often, it’s an Avalon, but the thing goes, it steers extremely well, it handles very well. The backseat legroom is enormous and the trunk is huge.
I agree with everything except the handling. This thing is a baked potato going down the road, it has so much under steer and body roll. When out of town and a curve is coming up and it suggests you do 30, you better do 30. Which is fine, she didn't buy it for it to handle like a Porsche

Consider the hybrid if you're asking about mpg's with this vehicle. It's more thirsty than I imagined. Which is also echoed by Car Care Nut on YT. But makes sense since it's so big and heavy. Still like it a lot and probably my favorite sedan.

I agree with everything except the handling. This thing is a baked potato going down the road, it has so much under steer and body roll. When out of town and a curve is coming up and it suggests you do 30, you better do 30. Which is fine, she didn't buy it for it to handle like a Porsche
Oh, I was just talking about actual steering...the electric steering feel and responsiveness. As for handling, yeah I’d probably call it average at best.

My average is 22 mpg. But I live in Chicago and I commute 7 miles in suburbia every day.
Stop and go city traffic will result in approx 14 mpg, whereas changing my route to work in order to avoid stoplights gets me an additional 2 mpg which can net me 22-25 mpg. Best highway mileage was 37 which was a huge tailwind at 70 mph. Doing 65 mph I usually get 30-31 mpg. It's been a great car so far.

Sure. 2002 - 2012 20 mpg city 29 hiway. Drop 10% in winter. 168k miles.
2012 - present 23 city, 26 hiway. Lose 10% in winter. 85k miles.

My brother has a '95 with about 350k. I think he claims low 30s on long Interstate trips, but only upper teens in short local trips.

Except the Japanese Buick can stay together for 100's of thousands of miles without timing chain and transmission failures. Plus the rest of the car isn't a total rolling dumpster either.

Oh please, Buick is a rolling dumpster? At least the oil lines don't blow at 60k like the Avalon.

Back