AV gas in new 18 HP Briggs

bad idea, from what I understand engines over 1 liter in displacement are equipped with catalytic converters (in states that follow CARB rules)

the lead will kill the cat and plug the exhaust
Thw 18HP is nowhere near 1L displacement. My 28HP B&S commercial turf is only 810CC.
His doesn't have a cat and that 1 gallon of leaded fuel will be fine to run, as will E10.
I installed a fuel shutoff in my fuel line before the pump so that I can run the bowl dry for winter storage

Why would anyone go out of their way to run leaded AV gas in a mower? I run E10 87 Octane in all my small engines, and many of them are only used for a few hours a year. Never an issue, and I just use Stabil 360 marine in the fuel, and turn off the fuel to let the carb run dry before storage.

Why would anyone go out of their way to run leaded AV gas in a mower? I run E10 87 Octane in all my small engines, and many of them are only used for a few hours a year. Never an issue, and I just use Stabil 360 marine in the fuel, and turn off the fuel to let the carb run dry before storage.
You might find that 100LL runs exceedingly well in modern lawn equipment, that's why.

When I crack open a carburetor (any carburetor), I can immediately tell if it's had ethanol ran in it regularly or had ethanol sit in it. That is after cracking open thousands of carburetors over many, many years. That's how I know not to run ethanol in any small engine unless you just can't find anything else.

Because it doesn't go bad and you don't need to add a stabilizer. You can store it pretty much indefinitely. I can think of a lot of reasons to have it around... generator, boat, OPE that isn't used often, an antique vehicle (non-cat) that isn't used used often, etc.

Because it doesn't go bad and you don't need to add a stabilizer. You can store it pretty much indefinitely. I can think of a lot of reasons to have it around... generator, boat, OPE that isn't used often, an antique vehicle (non-cat) that isn't used used often, etc.
I've never added stabilizer to my ope fuel and have never had a fuel issue.. Just park it for the winter and that's that. Sometimes I use straight 87 and sometimes (most) I run e10 87. Dunno??? Must be lucky?

I let generators sit for about 6 to 9 months a year or until hurricane season. I empty the and run it out followed by bottled SEF, VP is good and so are others, and run it till it's out. Never had a carb problem, but when ever I let a small engine sit for 6 months with the E10 there was always a problem.

I can't buy the avgas in my area, but if I could sure why not get a couple gallons every year to set up a small engine for storage. How much is the fuel anyway?

E0 in all my OPE now. Had E10 in my Husky 455 rancher and a Craftsman weed wacker, fuel lines disintegrated in both.
That was a few years ago, since switching to E0 no problems or doing any carb cleaning either. Fuel stabilizer in gas cans year-round both before on E10 and on the E0. I've got two houses, so I've got almost 2 of everything so I've no time to mess around with no starts, especially at a vacation place, when I need things to start, they gotta start. I buy marine fuel stabilizer by the gallon. Only full synth. oils in every engine also.

I must be the only guy around that doesn't have gas problems, and use E10 in everything. I've never had a fuel related problem. I use stabilizer in my JD 425 tractor, with 800+ hours and going fine, I do put stabilizer in it most of the time, and for sure over the winter, and leave it full of gas. I even use 5gal cans of gas that has been stored over the winter in sealed cans with stabilizer and can't tell any difference. I use 2 cycle oil with stabilizer built into the oil, so no worries there. and I have a 2 cycle tiller that only gets started every third year or so and starts easily. I dunno, maybe just lucky. My neighbor, who has all kinds of OPE troubles, uses nothing but E0 racing gas, so I give up trying to figure it out.

Sunoco 95 works well and is stabil for years.

Attachments

• IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 7
I understand why people do it, but it seems a bit inconvenient. I guess maybe not if you work at an airport. How much does it cost for 100LL in those cans compared to regular fuel? I go through a lot of fuel for small engines, and I've never had an issue just letting the equipment run out of fuel with the fuel shut off valve before long term storage. I also don't store my equipment outside in the rain though, which I have seen cause all sorts of issues with customer stuff.

Not to mention the possible harmful effects of breathing in exhaust from leaded fuel.

One caution about leaded avgas; I would not use synthetic oil if you run it. Earlier synth bases would not adequately suspend lead deposits, Google 'Mobil AV1'.

Maybe modern synth bases are better, but the lead and synthetic combo caused a lot of headaches in the early 90's.

Me? I use race gas or mogas from the local airport in my OPE and a mix of 100LL and mogas in my antique boat. Expensive, but cheaper than Pure Fuel and no ethanol issues. I also spend a lot of time at airports.

I must be the only guy around that doesn't have gas problems, and use E10 in everything. I've never had a fuel related problem. I use stabilizer in my JD 425 tractor, with 800+ hours and going fine, I do put stabilizer in it most of the time, and for sure over the winter, and leave it full of gas. I even use 5gal cans of gas that has been stored over the winter in sealed cans with stabilizer and can't tell any difference. I use 2 cycle oil with stabilizer built into the oil, so no worries there. and I have a 2 cycle tiller that only gets started every third year or so and starts easily. I dunno, maybe just lucky. My neighbor, who has all kinds of OPE troubles, uses nothing but E0 racing gas, so I give up trying to figure it out.
You're not.. I always use e10 and never do anything for winter storage and have never had an issue.

I don't doubt others have issues if their ope sits more than 10 days as some make it seem, so I (we?) must have horse shoes in our pockets?

Sunoco 95 works well and is stabil for years.
I used to run their Maximal back when I was racing, but for lawn equipment, a trip down to your local marina will get you E0 fuel for a lot less. There is something to be said for the metal cans but I have a bunch of those.

I used to run their Maximal back when I was racing, but for lawn equipment, a trip down to your local marina will get you E0 fuel for a lot less. There is something to be said for the metal cans but I have a bunch of those.

E0 is great - if you can find it. Marinas locally only sell 87.

Back