autozone sure can pick em

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in autozone today, overheard something I didnt know before. A guy was buying 10w-40 oil for his car, the clerk told him not to get it. According to him, it's obsolete, fair enough. But the reason it's obsolete? Because although 10w-30 and 10w-40 weigh the same, 10w-40 requires the engine be hotter for the oil to "run". Apparently a lot of engines were overheating because people were running 10w-40 (he said this, not me) and the engine had to run hotter for it to work.

Also while in the checkout line, my dad asked him about spark plugs for his outback, how the manual recommended not using platinum. Clerk said "yea german cars are weird like that", he told the clerk subaru was japanese, and he responded "oh they're japanese now?".

The nearest AZ is in Mt. Penn right next to Reading. All the clerks speak Inglese ..but being fluent in the resident local dialect has its advantages.

They do seem to hire too many people whose entire automobile knowledge comes from watching The Fast and the Furious and playing Gran Turismo on the Playstation.

The Japanese actually bought Fuji Heavy Industries? Crazy! I wonder if they'll be looking to aquire Toyota and Honda now?

Quote:

The Japanese actually bought Fuji Heavy Industries? Crazy! I wonder if they'll be looking to aquire Toyota and Honda now?

Huh? FHI always has always been a Japanese company. FHI is a keiretsu (conglomerate/group/alliance) that owns among many other companies, for example, Subaru. A Mr Mori is the current chief of FHI.

I think it was a joke - see above...

wink.gif

JMH

Fairly recently i was at auto zone and this guy asked the clerk about adding something to the fuel when the vehicle sits for long periods of time...the clerk looked at him dumb founded. I grabbed some fuel stabl and told the clerk this is what he needs.

Not all of the AutoZoners are dumb, but once in a while you come across an idiot that only got hired because they were short on help and they had to hire someone.

When I go to AutoZone, there is always one register open and about 10 people in line waiting to pay.
mad.gif

I always go the the website first to see what part #'s I need so I can be sure to get the right thing. Sort of eliminating the (often uniformed) middle man.

Our local Advance Auto actually isn't too bad. There are a few morons, but that is really par for the course as parts stores go. Most of the time I can go in there and come out with the right part without any hassels. The best place to go though is NAPA. They always have good people behind the counter. More strict hiring policies I guess.

That's too funny. With the internet, you can arm yourself to the teeth and not ask anyone for help at these places. Maybe it's just me, but I can usually pick out a knowlegeble salesman within the first 30 seconds. You can just tell....

What do you expect for $7.00 and hour? All that is needed is some basic computer skills to looks parts up and to run the register.

On the other side of the coin:

You should hear what people behind the counter have to say about dumb customers that come in.

I've had good experiences and bad at AutoZone. Most recent was good when the guy changed my girlfriend's battery.

NAPA has been pretty good to me. It helps there's a local distribution warehouse 10 minutes away, so going there usually saves a little bit since they don't have to truck the part anywhere else.

I don't know why people get this impression that people at Auto Zone know everything about vehicles. If you go to a mechanic, they spew the same type of rhetoric at customers every day.

I work at one of these places as a manager, part-time, and I know what Sta-bil is and I read BITOG. Obviously, not all the employees are morons...just as all mechanics aren't morons. On the other hand, you have your dunces in the bunch, which shouldn't surprise anyone. These threads get old after a while.

And yes, we have our share of stories about customers. You only see one side...you should look at it from the other side. You'd be amazed.

I work at Autozone and I can see where both sides of this conversation are coming from. I like to think I'm fairly well informed about cars, but I know I'm not a mechanic. People come in expecting you to know everything about every car ever built (same way they expect us to have all the parts to rebuilt their 1986 chevy nova!). I often close with one manager who really does know a lot about cars, and he's good to have around to bounce ideas off of.

Then, we have the part time (VERY part time) sales guy who sold a distributer cap and rotor to some guy's wife..... but he gave her a distributer cap, and a BRAKE rotor. Duh... if someone comes in and asks for a cap and rotor, you naturally should assume a IGNITION ROTOR!!!

At the same time, I'll have someone come up and say, "Yeah, I need a rotor for xxxxxx vehicle". And then look at me like I'm a complete idiot when I ask them if they meant a brake rotor or ignition. I can't read minds, and most that walk through the door I wouldn't want to anyway!

Quote:

I work at Autozone and I can see where both sides of this conversation are coming from. I like to think I'm fairly well informed about cars, but I know I'm not a mechanic. People come in expecting you to know everything about every car ever built (same way they expect us to have all the parts to rebuilt their 1986 chevy nova!). I often close with one manager who really does know a lot about cars, and he's good to have around to bounce ideas off of.

Then, we have the part time (VERY part time) sales guy who sold a distributer cap and rotor to some guy's wife..... but he gave her a distributer cap, and a BRAKE rotor. Duh... if someone comes in and asks for a cap and rotor, you naturally should assume a IGNITION ROTOR!!!

At the same time, I'll have someone come up and say, "Yeah, I need a rotor for xxxxxx vehicle". And then look at me like I'm a complete idiot when I ask them if they meant a brake rotor or ignition. I can't read minds, and most that walk through the door I wouldn't want to anyway!

A bit off-topic, but could one of the AutoZone employees please explain why AutoZones ALWAYS push Bosch Platinum spark plugs for every application? I've heard of nothing but problems with these plugs in GM DIS applications, as well as in many Hondas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back