Autozone parts installed by GM dealership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an uncle who was involved in a crash a few years ago.His 2002 Blazer was sent to a local dealership by his insurance co. for the repairs and after he got his truck back he thinks the radiator that was replaced was not a GM item.He thinks it was a Autozone radiator.I have seen Autozone trucks coming and going to dealerships many times.Maybe one reason their delivery trucks are unmarked,having no company logo.Whatcha'think?

Ya. I think if any company can rip you off nowadays they will. Maybe the parts are just as good though.

I know my local Ford dealership will install Carquest parts upon request. ie; You balk at their first estimate, they will quote a cheaper estimate with Carquest parts if they can get'em. I know some years ago when I had them replace the ignition wires on my 2001 Windstar, they got the wires from Carquest and they were 1/2 the price of dealer parts.

Joel

I worked at a Ford dealership that had almost zero parts inventory. The nearest Ford dealership that stocked parts was about 1 1/2 hours away and the warehouse was a lot further.
Since they didn't stock hardly any parts, they used a lot of aftermarket. Except this dealership bought from the national chain with the Irish name.
I can remember a bunch of people having starter problems in a short time. The dealer was up front about using aftermarket parts and that way they could point the finger as it being somebody else's fault.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Nothing wrong with using non OEM parts

Brand name suspension or similar parts? No problem.
However, I have seen some terrible alternator and starter rebuilds, including a starter that had new brushes, but the inside was full of old oil and grease with a fresh paint job on the outside.
Getting back to the OP's radiator, that might be okay.

Can't say about automotive dealerships, but this sort of thing wouldn't be all that uncommon at truck/heavy equipment dealerships. At every shop I've worked in, we generally preferred to sell OEM parts. But if a customer was too cheap to pay for them or if we didn't have something in stock (and/or couldn't get it shipped in within a reasonable amount of time), I've installed aftermarket parts from the local parts house plenty of times. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it UNLESS people are being charged OEM prices for Autozone parts. That's fraud.

it is going to become more and more common with the OE cutbacks, less in stock at the factory, and dealerships as they tighten theri belts. Also the suppliers building the parts have less overruns and less to sit around and sell. The good news is lots of oe parts are making it into the aftermarket. You can go to any parts store and open parts boxes and find oe stampings and markings as the same part is going both places. in some but not all cases.

Most Chrysler dealers will talk the customer into a Jasper reman engine or transmission,cheaper than a Chrysler reman.Some Ford dealerships take up to 5 days to get factory parts they order for a customer.Great Lakes Ford in Muskegon,Mi is this way,3 to 5 days to get parts that are ordered.Some aftermarket parts are junk and sometimes do not fit right.For example,the aftermarket distribitor caps and rotors for vortec 350s and 4.3s do not last.Better off getting an AC Delco distribitor cap and rotor or from the dealer which is also an AC Delco part.Most Saturn parts you can not get from the aftermarket which are dealer only parts only.

I've seen a few dealerships do that around here...I think much of that depends on what part they are installing.

The dealer should indicate on the invoice when aftermarket was used. Otherwise problems with the MFR. arise if they or another dealer later tries to parts warranty an aftermarket piece not knowing any better and is later audited for it.

Most likely in this case the dealer had no choice, many insurance co's. will not pay for OEM (rads/condensers, glass, and collision parts in particular) once the vehicle is over as little as 1 yr. old if aftermarket or used is available.

Last edited:
When an aftermarket part fails that results in an accident or someone getting hurt, that dealer is going to wish they had used an OEM part.

The aftermarket company runs like rabbits when taken to court, whereas the OEM company legally stands behind their product.

Seen a dealer basically bankrupted on that one.

We all know most dealers use bulk oil, right? Yet oddly it seems we expect their brand filters. Kind of a consumer double-standard.

Very possible the autozone deliveries are (also) for rehabbing trade-ins as cheaply as possible.

Remember a new car dealer has all the ethics of a used car dealer but are just lucky enough to have a name with which they can brand themselves.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
We all know most dealers use bulk oil, right? Yet oddly it seems we expect their brand filters. Kind of a consumer double-standard.

Very possible the autozone deliveries are (also) for rehabbing trade-ins as cheaply as possible.

Remember a new car dealer has all the ethics of a used car dealer but are just lucky enough to have a name with which they can brand themselves.

Very true....I know a dealership which does this. They mix many part places, including AZ and NAPA...

i have seen aftermarket extended warranties and insurance companies demand non OEM parts to be used. we will use aftermarket parts on used cars, or cases where people bring a non FLM-Mazda car in for an oil change or something where theres no parts cross.

as for bulk, we use motorcraft, no generic bulk.

Bought a F100 truck new in 1980. after 2 to 3 years the exhaust system rotted out, NJ winters and road salt
mad.gif
. I took it to the dealer I purchased it from and expected a Motorcraft replacement exhaust system. Saw the mechanic drive my truck out of the dealership and return later with lunch and an exhaust system from the local auto parts store
crazy2.gif
. At that time in the 80's Ford had a program that where dealers backed their repairs for parts and labor for "lifetime". I sold the truck in 1988. I had five more exhaust systems put on, including the one for the buyer of the truck.

After the first replacement the dealer told me they would not do anymore free replacements as non Ford parts were used. I showed them the work order with the "lifetime" guarantee stamped on it. It was their choice of parts used, but the work was done at the Ford dealership so they had to legally keep replacing the auto parts store brand exhaust systems they kept using. That "lifetime" program was dropped after a year or two
smirk2.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back