Autozone in Spokane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they have plenty of GC but the Not so green stuff
frown.gif

Anybody know how well this stuff works in the 2001 or so Elantra engines?

Ken

My guess is that GC, regardless of color, is absolute overkill on an Elantra. That's a pretty simple 4-cylinder.

Having said that, I just got the 10k oil change on my 06 VW. They put in Mobil1 0w40. I can already here the louder clicking/tapping noise from the Mobil1/25%GC mix that I had built up since the last oil change at 5k (topping up the M1 fill with GC). The next oil change isn't for another 10k, so I suspect I'll have topped up at least another two quarts of GC by then.

Simple, then all 4 cylinders are simple and just need plain old 30 WT dino oil.

Please state for the record Mr Akuska your knowledge of engines and lubrication.

Lets see this engine has pistons, rings, bearings,
rods, crankshaft and two cams that are belt and chain driven. They act directly on the valves oh yes it has valves 16 of them in fact. So I guess all 4 cylinders are the same and simple even your VW.

Mr Akuska please reread my post and respond accordling or not at all.

Ken

In 3 months and 3k I have not used any oil.

Well, my Elantra liked it:

-

Could have gone to 10,000 miles easily. This is with the OEM filter.

Just because you have a "simple" 4 cyl does not mean you don't want the best protection. My next change will probably see Green GC going back in (or Mobil 1 0w-30, or Mobil 1 EP 5w-30, too many choices).
I have really noticed no difference between OEM fill, Penzoil Dino 10w-30, Mobil Drive Clean 10w-40, GC, Royal Purple 10w-30, Mobil 1 0w-30, and Havoline 10w-30 Synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
BTW: GC Gold is just as good as GC Green. The only difference is that GC Green has a green tint to it that allowed people to use black lights to detect leaks in engines.

As much as I love GC, I personally still feel that the jury is still out on the gold versus the green:

1) We don't have that many UOA's on the gold GC yet...tons of great green GC reports, however.

2) The extensive testing that was performed on the green GC has not been performed on the gold GC.

Do I think the gold GC is as good as the green GC? Probably.

Will I use the gold GC when my stash of green GC runs out? Yes.

Over time I think we'll have a better idea how the gold stacks up against the green, but I personally feel it's still too early to declare that the gold is just as good as the green. (Again, this is just my opinion).

GC will work in practically any engine. I've got a 2.2L dohc Ecotec and it works better than any oil I've tried (Pennzoil, Amsoil, and Mobil 1). A lot of this has to do with your own personal preference as all of the oils I listed are EXCELLENT but GC is the best
smile.gif

BTW: GC Gold is just as good as GC Green. The only difference is that GC Green has a green tint to it that allowed people to use black lights to detect leaks in engines.

The reason why many state that GC is overkill is because on cheaper cars (such as mine) good ole Dino oil will work perfectly for a very long time (just can't do extended intervals on them like you can with synthetic). BUT Synthetic will offer superior protection, longer oil change intervals, and peace at mind that you are giving your engine the best!

I'm with Originhacker on this one, Ken42.

I never said 30wt oil would work on an Elantra or any other car. Re-read my post. Does Hyundai recommend synthetic or any special oil specs? I'm pretty sure the answer is no. They have engineers who probably know a lot more about lubrication than either of us.

VW, OTOH does specify particular oil standards, since they've had sludging issues with cheaper conventional oils in the past. GC seems like good oil, so it should work in an Elantra. However, it probably is overkill on lots of engines, perhaps even VW engines. Nevertheless, since VW goes out of its way to require VW 502 00, I'll go out of my way to find such oils.

What application did you want GC for? Are you looking for extended OCIs? You weren't clear, so the logical assumption is that you were talking regular use.

akuska & blupupher are 100% right. Thanks for the UOA blupupher, nice! Synthetic's advantage = more protection, longer OCI's, and peace of mind!
cheers.gif

If you change your oil every 3,000 miles - use Dino oil. Personally, I recommend synthetic!

On the other hand, if you are willing to pay a bit more for high quality oil (made for Porsche, BMW, VW, etc...) then by all means use GC. It can be used very well for 10,000 miles. (Thats what I plan on doing with my current fill of GC). Synthetic in our cars (Sunfire, Elantra) is an advantage if we do extended oil change intervals (10k or so).

This is my first car and I'd like it to last awhile so I'll invest money in the best oil, good oil filter/air filter, wax, and other car care products.
grin.gif

To your original question, my knowledge is that of a car enthusiast (not an oil enthusiast) who reads up about cars and engines a lot (as I suspect is the knowledge of many posters here). I'm aware that turbo engines (such as those in my VWs past and present) tend to run a lot hotter than normally-aspirated 4-cylinder engines like yours, and thus are more prone to sludging. I'm not an engineer, and don't claim to be. Just offering my $0.02, and I don't mean to come across as anything but helpful. Take it or leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back