AutoX w/o a dry sump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AutoXing w/o a dry sump.
Is it safe?

I know a short simple question probably w/o a simple answer but I am really interested in PPL's thoughts on this.

Fred...
smile.gif

PS: Moderators, if this is the wrong forum to post this in, plz move the thread.
blush.gif

maybe I should give more info:

I wont do teh autoX competitively but mostly to get a better feel for my car under extreme situations so I will be better prepared when needed.

The engine in question is a VH45DE as found in the 90-96 Infinti Q45's.
It is a 4.5L 32 valve all aluminum Quad cam engine with VVT, very simliar to a northstart except a bit heavier and w/ 6 bolt mains (2 cross) w/ girdle.
Its a also closed deck engine.
Sump capacity is 6.00 quarts, running MOBIL1 0w-40 and an OEM oil filter.

Much of the above matter little for the question on hand, but I wanted to give any gurus and idea of what I am working with.
I also will soon take this engine out and replace w/ a low mile JDM t/o VH45DE, because the original one has bad heads (possibly due to an overheat).

I may have a chance to autocross, before my new engine is in, so all damage (if any) will be on the old engine, but am also curious if it's ok to autocross w/o a dry sump, in case i want to do same w/ the new engine.

The OEM oil pan has a number of baffles, but I am ignorant if those are enough, to call it a semi-dry sump.

Fred...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back