AutoRX Theory...how does the rinse phase work after ARX has been dumped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm convinced that ARX works....I've seen enough posts. I'm about to start my rinse phase and am wondering how the ARX works during rinse phase since 99% of it gets drained from the engine after the clean phase.

I'm sure there's some explanation like the ARX is already bonded to the crud, and it's just waiting to be taken up by the clean oil put into the engine at the beginning of the clean phase.

Anybody know how this works?

It's a rinse phase.

It's rinsing off the auto-rx.

The oil's dispersant package is what holds all the crude in suspension. Once the package can't hold anymore then the cleaning basically stops.

By removing the old oil and replacing it with fresh oil and additives then the new dispersants are able to wash away what's holding onto dear life on the metal.

Thus, the rinse phases rinses.

AutoRx is polar, dino oil is not.

AutoRx will try to stick/bond onto the surface intermixed with crud/sludge by means of polarity during cleaning phase.

After you dump the AutoRx and start your rinse phase by using non-polar dino oil, the dino oil gradually breaks off the somwhat "polarised" dirt/sludge/crid and suspends them with it's own dispersent package (additive).

That's how AutoRx works...

How does one know when the AutoRX is 'all used up', versus just taking it's time on some hard crud ?

Would using an additive with some polar solvent content help with the rinse ? Traditional stuff would be some of the alcohols like ethanol and methanol, others would be acetone, and a bit harder on the liver would be choloroform. DMSO is very polar, does anyone use it for cleaning engines ? Seal swelling / cracking of plastics would be the main concern with non-typical solvents.

Detergents are the traditonal way to dissolve polar and non-polar substances/solvents, so would using a high detergent oil work best with AutoRx, like an HDEO ?

I knoow Rotella T "synthetic" 5w-40 has been mentioned as a good rinse oil as it is a Group3 "synthetic" and yes being a HDEO it will do some cleaning of it's own. When I first began using it before AutoRX it did a lot of cleaning and I actually had to change the filter after just a few hundred miles as the engine got noisey, the filter change quieted it back down. AutoRX is currently in that car but I haven't put enough miles on yet to see about it's additional cleaning. My other car with the same engine got AutoRX before it ever saw the Rotella and the Rotella is staying pretty clean visually( I know I know) for long runs.

quote:

Originally posted by buddy-lee:

quote:

Originally posted by Quest:
AutoRx is polar, dino oil is not.

That's how AutoRx works...

Are you pulling on our big toe, Quest?

He is NOT! Nor is he pulling our leg. He's right, that's all.
cheers.gif

DJ, I understood that it was preferable to use non-synthetics for the rinse to allow the oil to "rinse" the metal surfaces of the softened crud.

My understanding is that the poly polar non-syn is better able to flush the "emulsified" (right term?) stuff that A-RX created on the metal and carry it to the filter. This is the perception that I've developed.

Anyone able to straighten this out? Please! I would like to know what is right.

I'm 300 miles into the rinse on the wife's Camry and the oil on the dip stick is clear as a bell. I can't imagine what is happening to the filter.

John

Boy...my theory was WAY off...I always thought that the esters in ARX were made from coconuts which attracted 1000s of tiny little monkeys into your engine and they had 1000s of tiny little putty knives with which they scraped away the goop...just goes to show you that you shouldn't get all puffed up thinking you know it all...yup...it's all true

Yep, the (what I call) "scrubbing bubbles" effect. You can't have a good perceived reaction without millions of imagined workers toiling away tirelessly ...just for you.
grin.gif

pscholte,

I mean no disrespect at all, but your humor isn't helping me or others with this issue.

For some of us this is serious because we really don't know and are reading and trying to catch up and learn.

I think that your post is offered in a humorous way, and mayhap to further the thread just to give it some exposure.

Could it also confuse the rookies and lurkers? Not I think, but who knows?

Best Regards,

JH - "dino" oil is basically non-polar, but is much better at solubilizing (holding additives in suspension, help i can't remember the term here!) . Just to correct your statement form above.

From the Auto Rx FAQ's : "Synthetic oil has a complex additive package that polarizes the liquefied debris on the engine’s internal oil-lubricated parts. The goal is to rinse all the internal parts of this liquefied debris, and a good “Dino Oil”, with its simple additive package, does the job very well."
http://www.auto-rx.com/pages/faqs.htm#U8-1

using the explanation above , if the debris (leftovers) are polarized they will be more attracted to the metal and be harder to rinse away. I think the Rx as being esters are polarized goiing in , but when they combine with the dirt and sludge the ester molecule loses its polarity somewhat, and is then free to be liberated from the metal by the non-polar rinse oil. anyway that is how I interpret what is said above. Frank could give the deffinitive answer.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Boy...my theory was WAY off...I always thought that the esters in ARX were made from coconuts which attracted 1000s of tiny little monkeys into your engine and they had 1000s of tiny little putty knives with which they scraped away the goop...just goes to show you that you shouldn't get all puffed up thinking you know it all...yup...it's all true

lol.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by John Hilmer:
pscholte,

Could it also confuse the rookies and lurkers? Not I think, but who knows?

Best Regards,

It wouldn't surprise me if someone read this thread and actually thinks there's monkeys with putty knives inside each bottle of Auto-RX.
patriot.gif

Actually, for those keeping score, we have some very good answers to the original question by Quest with post #3 and Reyjay in post #13.

As usual, we have alot of monkey business & monkey shines going on in these forums!
smile.gif

Thanks for all of the input. It's kind of what I thought, but couldn't put in technical terms.

This thread is turning out to be more fun than an ARX bottle o' monkeys.

Now ARX can have it's "Monkey" mascot to keep the GC Elves company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back