Autopilot Maturity

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you look at the beginning of automobile replacing horses, you'll see all sorts of accidents when people learning how to drive and roads / safety features building around drivers and the typical mistakes.

Auto pilots are still new, and like war plane development during war time, you will see a lot of high risk testing that ends up killing pilots / drivers. In the civilian world, roads will change for the autonomous vehicles (i.e. adding reflectors, beacons for road repairs, inter autonomous vehicle communication to alert road conditions, etc). The failure conditions are not yet obvious to engineers or drivers yet, and unfortunately human will die in the process. The only saving grace is it will hopefully help reduce the more likely scenarios of human error in human drivers, and break even or save lives instead.

(I do not have anything to do with autonomous vehicles at my job or in my garage)

It basically comes down to:

A) Can the companies afford lawsuits when people get hurt or killed due to non-detection or other performance failures? Few enough lawsuits and they might.

B) Amount of government regulation forcing software & hardware quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back