Automotive gasoline in a jet turbine?

I think I toured a couple over the years. For some reason the name that sticks out is the USS Oldendorf.
Yup, she was a Spruance class destroyer. They were the Cadillac's of the fleet. They've all been decommissioned.

I've heard that turbines can use a variety of fuels, but gasoline doesn't seem like it would be suitable. I know marine and power generation turbines can be pretty tolerant of different fuels, and they're really just jet engines. But I haven't heard of anything used that isn't close to kerosene. The US Navy previously considered using JP-5 jet fuel for their marine turbines, which would be a common fuel for their helicopters. Power generation turbines typically use natural gas, but that obviously requires a way to feed it. I see this list has a lot of things including some gasoline components, but it doesn't include gasoline or diesel.

GE Gas Power's variety of fuels​

• Arabian Extra Light Crude Oil (AXL)
  • Arabian Super Light (ASL)
  • Biodiesel Condensate or Natural Gas Liquids (NGL)
  • Dimethyl Ether (DME)
  • Distillate Oil #2 (DO2)
  • Ethane (C2)
  • Heavy Crude Oil
  • Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO)
  • High H2
  • Hydrogen Blends
  • Kerosene (Jet A or Jet A-1)
  • Lean Methane
  • Light Crude Oil (LCO)
  • Liquid Natural Gas (LNG)
  • Liquefied Propane Gas (LPG)
  • Medium Crude Oil
  • Methanol / Ethanol (Alcohol)
  • Naphtha
  • Natural Gas (NG)
  • Sour Gas (H2S)
  • Steel Mill Gases
  • Syngas
There was an episode of The A-Team where Murdock has to land a helicopter that's low on fuel at a gas station and then fills it at a gas pump. Looks like a Bell Jet Ranger, which I'm pretty sure is powered by a turboshaft requiring jet fuel.

Still - not sure about gasoline.

If it is on the Tv it must be the truth.

Back