automotive aftermarket parts future

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the new laws being handed to the auto industry,how do you think this will affect the future of the auto parts industry?Are replacement parts for vehicles that are not "GREEN"going to be extinct?Will these parts be no longer produced?Is this a real concern?

Not for models that are still common on the roads, or are popular used cars.

If you have a car with hard-to-find parts, a parts car or stockpiling common wear parts might be in order.

There's always a scrapyard, too.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
parts are cheap, they will always be available

China does 90% of the aftermarket parts - they will always be cheap and plentiful.

I think the OP is WRT things like aftermarket exhausts, manifolds etc., rather than replacement balljoints.

OEMs will push for them to be phased out if they can.

I agree Shannow. There are several reasons, but it is expensive to have manifolds & the like parts available.
10-year rule apply to automotive or is it gone?

My Dad restored a 40 Ford in 1978 and had to (chose to?) rummage through dealers looking for new old stock, flea markets, Hemmings mail order for what he needed. (Some of what he wanted had "Ford" script on it for those originality points.) For a comparable 1971 domestic vehicle, now, I could get a crate engine and rebuilt tranny at Autozone...

Internet trumps all. There are private parties and junkyards that break cars into little tiny pieces, warehousing and selling them for peanuts on ebay. They then crush the body for the metal $$$.

I have no problems getting wear parts for my 27 year old Yamaha motorcycle online. The local dealer is a schmuck and has to order stuff.

The biggest issue IMO would be year-specific computers, coil on plug doodads, that sort of thing... which are small enough and promising (in $$) enough that folks would shelve spares indoors.

One may have to settle for rebuilt parts, off-brand, used, off-shore... but could keep a vehicle on the road as long as the body held out, for sure.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
10-year rule apply to automotive or is it gone?

OEMs have to supply throughout the warranty period, after that availability is based on demand.

certain states require OEM parts. in CA for instance, you can only use OEM or CARB approved direct fit catalytic converters for all years. it was just OBD2, not its all. there are certain parts that you have to get from a dealer, and other part that the OEM part just works better.

one thing though, is that the OEMs will come out with updated parts, while the aftermarket still uses the original design. there are other parts that are only serviced in huge assemblies. for fun, i challenge someone to call a ford dealer and ask for lower ball joints on a lincoln ls, pick a year any year. they are only serviced in the upright (knuckle).

Is there an online copy of the original C4C bill?

I wonder if there are clauses or stipulations about phasing "non green" or older parts out of the systems?

Same thing with being able to reregister older vehicles?

I'd really like to read the fine print in this bill.
thumbsup2.gif

Some aftermarket parts do not fit very well and the dealer parts fit better.Some heater cores are this way,the aftermarket heater cores do not fit right in the hole.For body parts,non capa parts fit in a whole lot better with no modifications than capa parts.Most of the aftermarket parts are improvements which Dorman is one that does this.

Quote:
OEMs have to supply throughout the warranty period, after that availability is based on demand.

I'd prefer to see that in authoritative print. At one time they were required to have every part available for 10 years. The price wasn't regulated ..but the availability was mandated. Now this probably has changed, but I suspect that conditions and restrictions apply. Otherwise, there would be shorter warranties and total design changes done on a routine basis.

I'm sure a BIG part of OEM parts contracts is the transition from OEM assembly line contracts to OEM aftermarket contracts, just like the transition from OEM fluids is to wider distribution of aftermarket (alternate supplier) OEM spec fluids.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:

At one time they were required to have every part available for 10 years.

I would like to see that in authoritative print.

It was true!! At least somewhere back in the later 70's (admittedly a lifetime ago for some). They did a project where they rebuilt a 10 year old $3000 car for $31000 in OEM parts.

I don't believe that it required the OEM to produce them, just that they had to be available.

As I said, I'm sure that it's changed, but there has to be conditions and restrictions that apply. Otherwise you would have companies making cars that were literally throw away items immediately after the warranty expired.

There would be no reason to change designs so routinely on proven items if all the OEM had to do was not release the OEM part to the aftermarket until the patent expired.

Some new parts are cheaper than used and better off buying the new part instead of buying the used part.Fenders,headlights,fan shrouds and side mirriors assemblies are this way.

They don't have to have every part available for 10 years anymore. There are trim pieces not available after 7 now.

You can get seat belts ten years old, but they may only be available in black.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
It was true!! At least somewhere back in the later 70's (admittedly a lifetime ago for some). They did a project where they rebuilt a 10 year old $3000 car for $31000 in OEM parts.

I've heard the 10 year story at least as far back as the 1970s, however, no one I asked was ever able to actually cite the law.

I think it's an urban legend but would like to be proved wrong.

Manufacturers have to be able to supply parts through the cars warranty period to meet their contractual warranty requirements, but after that??

With the lawyers and people in the new car here, surely someone can cite the law or at least provide enough of a lead to find it if it does exist.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
They don't have to have every part available for 10 years anymore. There are trim pieces not available after 7 now.

Mr C. Can you lead us to the law?

Last edited:
Ford is this way,discontinued window motor switches for 1987 Ford Mustangs and are now obsolete.They also discontinued the EGR tube for the 2.3 engine in the Rangers which is also obsolete.GM did it too,one molding piece for Park Avenues are now obsolete.There is one Chrysler car which was designed by an Itailian designer,I have seen one so far and the the car is a big POS,the parts for this car are obsolete.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Ford is this way,discontinued window motor switches for 1987 Ford Mustangs and are now obsolete.They also discontinued the EGR tube for the 2.3 engine in the Rangers which is also obsolete.GM did it too,one molding piece for Park Avenues are now obsolete.There is one Chrysler car which was designed by an Itailian designer,I have seen one so far and the the car is a big POS,the parts for this car are obsolete.

TC Masarati, i worked on one once, never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back