Automechanika Shanghai

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm out here in Shanghai working the Automechanika show. I wish I had time to take some pictures because there are so many different manufacturers, blenders, and bottlers of oil of all weights and sizes here, and not just from China. I did bounce over to the local Walmart (yes they are in China too)and took a pic of some Mobil 2000 10w-40 on the shelf, but couldn't get details because I had people I was with looking at me like I was an idiot. I will do my best to get some pics if I get the time, but it may not be likely since our own booth is very busy too.

Mobil 2000 sounds, just from a marketing POV, like awful stuff. "Get it out of there in 2000 miles or else..."

Originally Posted By: Olas
Is Auitomechanika an Oriental equivalent of Sema?

Olas, actually Automechanika shows are held all over the world. Frankfurt, mexico City, Dubai... this one just happens to be here this year and next. I believe there is also one in Kuala Lumpor this year too. But yes, it is much like SEMA in many respects.

IMG_1096_zpsa7787c95.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality. Not allowed to take pics in the convention hall although a few didn't mind when I asked. Well maybe not asked... pointed to my phone, then made picture taking motions....not a whole lot of English spoke here.

Even cooler are the many different brands of cars we have never seen in the US. I'll bet there are 30-40 different local auto makers, not including the big ones that have ties to the major OEM's

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Even cooler are the many different brands of cars we have never seen in the US. I'll bet there are 30-40 different local auto makers, not including the big ones that have ties to the major OEM's

Sure, but they aren't even that popular with China's drivers.
I see many youtube videos about how those cars have really lousy crash protection.

Plus, when I get stuck installing many parts from China, I am stuck replacing them again 1 year later. You would be better off not buying one of those 20-30 different cars over there.

Hopefully you've had some time to get out and explore Shanghai and weren't stuck at the convention the whole time.

I just returned from a two week work trip to China. One week in Liuzhou and one week in Shanghai. Shanghai is an amazing city. There's just so much to see and take in. Plus, it's really easy to get around, even for an English-speaking foreigner.

I have customers all over the country and an office in Suzhou. You are right, Shanghai is an amazing cosmopolitan city. This trip I've been to Beijing and Tianjin already, going to Dalian and Chengdu this week. The whole country is filled with, for the most part, friendly people who go out of your way to help you around. The amount of people and lack of person space takes some getting used to, along with the levels of pollution in the cities, but the good far outweigh the bad. I could (and may end up) live here.
As for the many brands of cars, once upon a time the American auto industry was just like this one, in it's infancy. The stronger companies will come out and the vehicles will get better. As far as crash protection, all you have to do is spend a few days out here to know that any Chinese car is much safer then the scooters, bicycles, and pedestrians who intermingle in a crazy jumble they call everyday life.

I know they were bought by a Chinese company years ago, but it was really strange to see a sedan that looked somewhat like every other sedan here in China with an MG badge on it! Wish I could have got a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back