Automatic emergency braking literally saved my cars tail from a brick wall.

The parking lot in my condo community is very compact so everyone that parks in our area has the understanding you have to get as far out of the lane as possible, if one car is sticking out it can be a 4-8 point manuever to get the heck out if you parked nose in. Some of the spaces back into a 6-8' high brick retaining wall which is one I was trying to utilize.

Backing in I guess I was coming in a bit too hot and car lets out the warning beep (outside the parking sensor sounds) and car abruptly stops, I was almost certain I hit the wall but then infotainment flashed 'emergency braking activated' or something along those lines and my rear was still a good 6" off the wall. That was such a sigh of relief as the hatch would have taken the brunt of the hit as there really isn't a bumper back there on the ID.4.

Yes I was focusing more on side clearances than rear when this all happened, completely my fault. I have not bumped this wall in the 5 years I have lived here but in this situation had I been in the GLI or one of my prior cars I would have probably kissed the wall. Saved my ID.4 tail - very nice feature. Fortunately have not had to use the front system yet but with the way folks drive around here I'm sure it will activate at some point.

Last edited:
I had the front auto braking in my (new to me) F150 save me from hitting someone as well. I welcome some of these "nanny features". But then again I'm apparently not an expert driver like so many on here who claim they are not needed and just drive up the cost of a vehicle.

Because they really aren't needed. We have eyes and ears but the average motorist doesn't use them enough.

It's very easy to say that and usually I would concur but today I let my attention lapse. Not like this is a daily occurrence, this was a one off moment and the nanny saved me from myself. Yeah we all like to say we are perfect drivers with no accidents but reality is something is going to be off one day.

Because they really aren't needed. We have eyes and ears but the average motorist doesn't use them enough.

Says the driver who apparently NEVER makes a mistake... We all know humans are 100% perfect, every day, all the time.

I consider myself an excellent driver. Zero accidents that were my fault in my life - but I've certainly made mistakes where the outcome could have been different.

And the collision avoidance on our Explorer certainly was appreciated in a recent experience...

It's very easy to say that and usually I would concur but today I let my attention lapse. Not like this is a daily occurrence, this was a one off moment and the nanny saved me from myself. Yeah we all like to say we are perfect drivers with no accidents but reality is something is going to be off one day.
Yea-that's a reoccurring theme on here.....the worlds BEST DRIVERS frequent this forum.

Was the alternative rear ending another car? I know a few manufacturers have complaints about false activations.
No, it was me going around the car and auto braking decided it should go off. The car behind me saw that I was going too so it started to accelerate but then braking decided to slam the brakes and they almost rear-ended me.

My system has activated twice in the five years we have owned the Mazda. Once for a mail truck that pulled out in front of us and once for a driver that ran a stop. In both cases I reacted as I should but the system was faster than me.

I don’t love the backing up algorithm on our 2018 VW Tiguan as it makes it really hard to back into a busy road US RT1A at in laws beach home. It sees cars in opposite lane and abruptly stops car. Yet my lane is free and clear.

Yea-that's a reoccurring theme on here.....the worlds BEST DRIVERS frequent this forum.

I am not perfect either but I still don't have an accident to my name. I just had a semi truck and trailer clip my Roadmaster on Friday and those guys are supposed to be "perfect."

The auto braking in our CRV almost caused me to get rear-ended one day. Not a huge fan.
Did you get rear-ended? What did the auto braking prevent you from hitting? Why did it activate?

Something to think about if you travel close to the vehicle in front of you. Back off. These systems are quick to activate and they use the full braking force.
How do you drive in bumper to bumper rush hour then?

Much more of this, and it will be mayhem out there, if our cars force us to drive the way we were taught, proper following distance and all.

Did you get rear-ended? What did the auto braking prevent you from hitting? Why did it activate?
Thankfully, no, the driver behind me slammed on their brakes too. There was a car turning in front of me into a parking lot. I tried going around the car instead of waiting for it to fully enter the parking lot. The braking system didn't like that and it detected the vehicle was still partially in my lane so it activated.

How do you drive in bumper to bumper rush hour then?

Much more of this, and it will be mayhem out there, if our cars force us to drive the way we were taught, proper following distance and all.

I keep one car length in that kind of traffic. For normal driving I have my distance set at the midway point plus one setting further back. That works out to what I learned in drivers education a long time ago. That helps when using the adaptive cruise.

No, it was me going around the car and auto braking decided it should go off. The car behind me saw that I was going too so it started to accelerate but then braking decided to slam the brakes and they almost rear-ended me.
If you were close when you went around the car-yes it will activate.

Thankfully, no, the driver behind me slammed on their brakes too. There was a car turning in front of me into a parking lot. I tried going around the car instead of waiting for it to fully enter the parking lot. The braking system didn't like that and it detected the vehicle was still partially in my lane so it activated.
It did what it was designed to do. I guess we are such in a hurry we can't slow down anymore and let someone turn. We have to go around because our lives are so busy...apparently.

Back