Automated RockAuto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought rotors and pads from RA. First time I have used them since they went 100% electronic with no telephone support. Was a little concerned about how a problem would be handled. Turns out one rotor had a defect. I was pleasantly surprised to see how easy and efficient the RA system is. Just took seconds to answer a few questions and print out a return Fedex label. With a couple hours of dropping return at FedEx, my replacement rotor was shipped and I will get it today, one day after making the return. Very slick.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
They are working hard at putting brick & mortar auto parts stores out of business like Amazon is.
Not many B&M stores can afford to carry a complete inventory any more, no matter what the particular specialty. Even the dealer has to order parts for many things they don't keep in stock.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Just bought rotors and pads from RA. First time I have used them since they went 100% electronic with no telephone support. Was a little concerned about how a problem would be handled. Turns out one rotor had a defect. I was pleasantly surprised to see how easy and efficient the RA system is. Just took seconds to answer a few questions and print out a return Fedex label. With a couple hours of dropping return at FedEx, my replacement rotor was shipped and I will get it today, one day after making the return. Very slick.

Did you price shop for rotors on Amazon when shipping is included. I am Amazon Prime and the RA shipping is a killer for heavy parts like a rotor.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: artbuc

Did you price shop for rotors on Amazon when shipping is included. I am Amazon Prime and the RA shipping is a killer for heavy parts like a rotor.

I buy a lot, probably most, of my parts from Amazon. I don’t need Prime as I am almost always able to bundle for free shipping. In this case, rotors and Akebono pads were $131.66 from RA and $136.56 from Amazon, delivered. I always get the 5% RA discount which helps offset shipping.

Last edited:
When you returned the rotor did you send it to 210 Industrial Pkwy, Cheektowaga, NY?

I ask because I'm compiling a list of every auto part warehouse I deal with. I already have 5 for RockAuto.

Originally Posted By: Kira
When you returned the rotor did you send it to 210 Industrial Pkwy, Cheektowaga, NY?

I ask because I'm compiling a list of every auto part warehouse I deal with. I already have 5 for RockAuto.

It was Bethpage, NY. Thought I already answered but my post disappeared.

On a lot of things, they tell me to not even bother shipping it back

I have a love hate relationship with RA. I have purchased MANY parts from them over the years. Some of their stuff is ok, some is total [censored]. So really look at what your buying.

I agree shipping sometimes kills the deal with RA. Shipping costs at times can blow any savings you might get at all vs any local autoparts store.

Problem with autoparts stores are, or is selection. Generally for most parts you have maybe 1 or 2 choices. RA you have MANY choices to fit your budget, again if shipping doesn't kill the deal.

I have bought some items from RA tail lamps for my 2000 Dodge Caravan. They came with a 30 day warranty. About 6 weeks after install, they failed. Made in China [censored]. They cost about $15 less per tail lamp vs OEM. I ended up buying OEM and all is good, MONTHS LATER.

RA is still my go to store for most parts, air filters, oil filters, cabin filters and such, if you buy in bulk and several cars worth at a time the offset of shipping is worth it.

Example, I bought some air filters for my 2015 Titan pick up and through RA bought Fram Extra Guard Air Filters for $2.30 each on a blow out deal. I bought 5. I got 5 filters shipping and all for LESS than the price of ONE OEM FILTER. Gotta love that!!!

Jeff

Their shipping is usually the killer for RA. Even the close out stuff but if it comes for three different warehouses you get three shipping charges.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Their shipping is usually the killer for RA. Even the close out stuff but if it comes for three different warehouses you get three shipping charges.

Multiple shipping will always kill the deal.

I’m a prime subscriber, and I always compare RA to Amazon and a couple other sites.

I still end up buying from RA a lot because they beat Amazon on price. That’s not always the case, but it is sometimes.

I just ordered a pair of rotors from RA earlier this year because even after shipping they were cheaper than Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Kira

here's another one, brook park, ohio. It's a parts plus warehouse.

and my last drive belts for the civic came from rockauto. I find that the warehouses/distributors they use have an extremely high turnover for stock. If I were to have ordered the belts from the local Oreilly's they'd be much older, just sitting on a shelf. I also just ordered new brake drums (raybestos) from Rockauto. What was so cool, they dropped shipped them directly from Raybestos! They were manufactured 7/2017! And the ones I got (were defective, returned and refunded) from my local Advance auto were sitting around since 2015!

So yeah getting stuff from rockauto is nice. But.. One place I found that does compete on price and service (talking to a real person) is SummitRacing.com! I've been getting parts from them too!

Last edited:
Problem is, if you have it all apart your in a world of hurt. If you bought it local, you can hop in another car and drive to get a replacement.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

You have to watch them carefully. Sometimes the warehouse a specific item comes from depends on how many items in your cart, and if you delete an item, suddenly an item that was coming from warehouse "A" with other parts, now is coming from warehouse "b or c" by itself. This algorithm they employ increases your shipping costs.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Donald said:
I always compare RA to Amazon and a couple other sites.

I still end up buying from RA a lot because they beat Amazon on price.

I always price the two. RA almost always wins even after the shipping cost.

Don't forget that RA always has a 5% off coupon code.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
They are working hard at putting brick & mortar auto parts stores out of business like Amazon is.

As they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back