AutoBeef -- Honda has 4 of top 6 worst cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Familyguy

how about the infamous side saddle gas tank explosions on GM pickups? Or as someone else mentioned the Dexcool debacle?

Spare me.

Huh?? Where have you been? Those trucks were RIGGED by the MEDIA to explode, they lost in court when GM sued. My wife 'had to have' a new 88 CRX, it grenaded it's motor driving thru a 2" deep PUDDLE. When we had our first baby, I got my 2nd wish---sell the [censored] HONDA, I always hated that thing, horrible ergonomics, it made your legs fall asleep 'cause the pedals were offset a mile.
Actually, while the car was for sale, I got t-boned by a volvo.
Volvo drove away, honda was totalled..Yea!! We used the insurance money to buy a van manufactured in St.Louis, not "assembled" in ohio (honda's power of dreams, but those actually in manufacturing know better)

Originally Posted By: marty600
Originally Posted By: Familyguy

how about the infamous side saddle gas tank explosions on GM pickups? Or as someone else mentioned the Dexcool debacle?

Spare me.

Huh?? Where have you been? Those trucks were RIGGED by the MEDIA to explode, they lost in court when GM sued. My wife 'had to have' a new 88 CRX, it grenaded it's motor driving thru a 2" deep PUDDLE. When we had our first baby, I got my 2nd wish---sell the [censored] HONDA, I always hated that thing, horrible ergonomics, it made your legs fall asleep 'cause the pedals were offset a mile.
Actually, while the car was for sale, I got t-boned by a volvo.
Volvo drove away, honda was totalled..Yea!! We used the insurance money to buy a van manufactured in St.Louis, not "assembled" in ohio (honda's power of dreams, but those actually in manufacturing know better)

Isn't that the truth. I have worked in manufacturing dealing with raw materials for over 10 years, and can tell you who buys and doesn't buy domestically produced plastics. Care to take a wild guess, anybody? Instead, I get my intelligence insulted when I speak the truth about how little of these cars are actually made in America, and how bad this is hurting our country. They bring over their own foreign owned parts suppliers. Now that their reliability is in question, IMO there is absolutely no reason to buy one. Parts prices are higher, they need more maint (timing belts, valve adj, etc), they cost more to begin with, GM parts are more available.

Originally Posted By: JakeR22
I hate my '01 Honda civic. At 205k miles, it's on its second set of brake pads, and it's second battery! I've got a fortune in parts!

Yeah, and I hate my 85 MB 300D. After 25 years and 240k, it has only needed the exact same things. Sure hope youre changing your coolant.

I hate my '01 Honda civic. At 205k miles, it's on its second set of brake pads, and it's second battery! I've got a fortune in parts!

That car must have hellacious tires. I've never had tires even make it to 100k.

Anything else you failed to mention?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
How about mentioning all of the Civic HX owners that got "boned" by Honda in the 90s with it's CVT tranny?

Or how about all of the 99+ owners that got "boned" with the 5 speed tranny? My dad had a 2001 TL that was on it's 4th tranny at 109k

Yeah, too bad how we never hear those "Honda is perfect" stories....

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Well the point remains that asian vehicles had issues ranging from headgaskets, Automatic transmissions, CVTs, radiators, rusting, exhaust rusting, brakes squealing, and required lots of maintenance with timing belts, valve adjustment and distributors but these issues are either ignored or downplayed while every problem GM has had seems to get trumpeted from the rooftops and blown out of porpotion. The media is very biased against domestics and has been for several years.

And the people said -- "AMEN"

Originally Posted By: ZGRider

Mine went 128k... Not hard to do.

Well the point remains that asian vehicles had issues ranging from headgaskets, Automatic transmissions, CVTs, radiators, rusting, exhaust rusting, brakes squealing, and required lots of maintenance with timing belts, valve adjustment and distributors but these issues are either ignored or downplayed while every problem GM has had seems to get trumpeted from the rooftops and blown out of porpotion. The media is very biased against domestics and has been for several years.

I have to laugh at how you guys who are Asian car haters have to make all this stuff up to make GM look good. It is really supposed to be the other way around. You guys are really spoiling it for a lot of US carmakers because the people who bought Asian cars will never be persuaded to return to buying a US auto product by criticizing them or calling them stupid or unpatriotic. In fact it will have the reverse effect...you will drive more people to the Asians by ridiculing them. SO, you are really all a self fulfilling prophecy. You really might want to consider the damage you are doing to the US auto industry every day. This is one very big reason I won't buy a UAW made product now...because of the way I have been treated by UAW members personally. Think about it.

To each his own. I think a lot of these issues must also be blamed on the consumer. Like the Accord brake issues...typical from the factory stuff. They put in soft brakes from the factory to keep them quiet and stop very well. Honda also uses about 55% rear breaking. So naturally, the pads are going to wear out quicker. Once you change them out and put some good pads on them, the problem goes away. Now, they've had their problems. The 02 lost the tranny at 135K, but Honda put in a brand new one for me for free. I mean, come on, how many manufacturers would do that, especially past 100K? Seek, and ye shall find......

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
To each his own. I think a lot of these issues must also be blamed on the consumer. Like the Accord brake issues...typical from the factory stuff. They put in soft brakes from the factory to keep them quiet and stop very well. Honda also uses about 55% rear breaking. So naturally, the pads are going to wear out quicker. Once you change them out and put some good pads on them, the problem goes away. Now, they've had their problems. The 02 lost the tranny at 135K, but Honda put in a brand new one for me for free. I mean, come on, how many manufacturers would do that, especially past 100K? Seek, and ye shall find......

My neighbor had a noisy differential in his Toyota truck. Not leaking, still working fine...just whiny on the highway. He went back and they replaced the entire 3rd member with no questions asked. Made me feel pretty angry thinking how GM wouldn't replace a failed front diff 4,000 miles out of warranty when it was obvious the thing had been failing fro 20,000+ miles. Just depends on the circumstance I guess.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I drive a Honda and a GM, so either I know it all or know nothing.

What happened to the Audi?

In the end does Honda actually put out any advertising or statements that their product is superior in reliability? The perception is from consumers & dealers not the company itself.

Toyota and Ford in advertising have a much stronger push.

I bought the perception of Honda being a great car from peers back in 1995. It did have little problems over 225k miles/9yrs and excellent MPG but I really did not like the car. Besides potential minivan probably my last Honda(Acura) product.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe

Premature rear brake wear is certainly not a deal killer, just like warped rotors are not deal killers. What would be a deal killer?

How about an automatic transmission that fails prematurely and there is no way to replace it with a reliable unit. That was my experience with a Civic. When the auto trans failed at 60,000 miles (even though it was serviced per manual) I couldn't purchase a new trans, but had to buy a "remanufactured" unit from Honda. That reman trans failed 20,000 miles later. So, I took it to a transmission shop who said they could rebuild it right. It failed 3 more times before the 1 yr warranty ran out. I put it up for sale after the last time the shop "rebuilt" it and it failed during a customer test drive.

Moral of story? Bought the car for $12,000 -- drove it 4 yrs and 60,000 miles -- sold it for $1000 scrap value after spending $4,000 on transmission repairs. It was flawless cosmetically, but couldn't get the trans to last. So, after 4 yrs I spent $15,000 to drive 60,000 miles (excluding all other costs)

Was this a good value? It's a no brainer. This is not an isolated incident -- I have talked to many people with the same story, but they don't like to admit it because they were told how "great" and "reliable" Hondas are.

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado -- 4 yrs old, 60,000 miles, paid $18,000 and it runs flawlessly and has never even been to the shop. I was offered $12,000 to sell it a while back and turned it down. Cost of ownership for 60,000 miles? $6,000. Much better than the Honda (excluding the gas costs)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
In the end does Honda actually put out any advertising or statements that their product is superior in reliability? The perception is from consumers & dealers not the company itself.

Toyota and Ford in advertising have a much stronger push.

I bought the perception of Honda being a great car from peers back in 1995. It did have little problems over 225k miles/9yrs and excellent MPG but I really did not like the car. Besides potential minivan probably my last Honda(Acura) product.

It's not consumers coming to the conclusion that Japanese vehicles are so much more reliable independently and objectively. It is the media and auto publications spreading the perception. Editors who are on the automakers payroll, kickbacks and people who don't actually do anything productive who have an agenda. And so the consumers just parrot the information they've been fed. A lot of these people are just jealous over the UAW. PT1 has a very common mentalilty like that and you can easily see the true motivation. I guess if a UAW retiree receives $1000/month pensions after assemblying cars for 30 years, that often costed less than non-UAW cars, that's just too much to stomach for some who don't make their living actually making anything.

That's my main point is how asian cars are hyped and domestics are disparaged. And it's done without much facts or looking at the big picture but agenda based.

Originally Posted By: PT1

I have to laugh at how you guys who are Asian car haters have to make all this stuff up to make GM look good. It is really supposed to be the other way around. You guys are really spoiling it for a lot of US carmakers because the people who bought Asian cars will never be persuaded to return to buying a US auto product by criticizing them or calling them stupid or unpatriotic. In fact it will have the reverse effect...you will drive more people to the Asians by ridiculing them. SO, you are really all a self fulfilling prophecy. You really might want to consider the damage you are doing to the US auto industry every day. This is one very big reason I won't buy a UAW made product now...because of the way I have been treated by UAW members personally. Think about it.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I don't think anyone necessarily hates Asian or foreign cars. It's the people ridiculously hyping foreign cars and disparaging domestics, the UAW, and American owned and made products that turns people away from foreign autos.

Why mention tires? What does vehicle make have to do with how long tires last? Gee, you think driving 200k+ miles may take a few sets of tires? Heck, I had to fill that gas tank a few times too, can you believe it????

Okay, yeah, I replaced the timing belt twice, once at 100k, then at 200k. Cost about $150 in parts.

No suspension parts replaced! Replaced the rotors at about 175k miles. Haven't even looked at the rear drums.

It's bleeding me in replacement parts!

The dealership replaced my old Z28's GM 10 bolt twice once in Warranty, once out of warranty with it towed from the Track with the numbers still on it (T17 12.55). PT1, I can only assume your attitude was similar to the one have here or you have a [censored] dealer. My GM dealer here has always taken care of me regardless of where I broke the car and what I was doing when it happened.

Honestly I take anything poster like PT1 say about GM and Toyota with a grain of salt. It is true if you get a bad dealer it's sometimes hard to get GM to repair a vehicle free. But I also know of cases where GM replaced no problem under the 100k mile powertrain warranty a very expensive part like a transmission even though someone/somhow ran the transmission dry and it wasn't really GM's fault and the dealer didn't even want to warranty it.

You will find examples that cut both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back