AutoBeef -- Honda has 4 of top 6 worst cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
I happened to own (now daughters) one of the Honda's on the list. 01 Civic EX AT with original tranny @136k and 3 drain and refills with Z-1. To this point, it's been very reliable with normal maintenance.

Also own an 07 3.0L Accord. At ~24k it's been running well. At the last rotation the rear brakes were more worn than the fronts, which is unusual in my experience, but they still had plenty of pad left.

Quite sure I didn't drink any kool aide, I can only go based on my experience which has been good.

To the topic, IMO bad trannies and worn rear pads don't fit in the same category as unexplained excelleration killing folks. And, I've got nothing against Toyotas.

See, I don't consider this to be "drinking koolaid" as Sayjak is just telling about his experience. It looks like he has had good service from his Hondas and that is good to hear.

This allows people to weigh their options when buying a vehicle.

I always buy vehicles with the intention of driving them until they die. So, I am interested in finding out how they hold up after many miles and yrs of use. I am not that interested in how they hold up in the first few years as warranty will cover repair costs.

I think all vehicles should perform well in the first 5 yrs of ownership, even though not all do.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: ZGRider

New Accords are having rear brake (and other) issues, newer Civics are having cracked engine block issues and older Civics are still shelling automatic transmissions.

I wonder why I never hear about these issues from the media?

http://www.carcomplaints.com/recent_trends.shtml

My Dad's Honda Civic (2001) needed a new block @ 14k.

And if you expect the "media" to do anything factual then you are in for a long wait. They have their "orders" on what is important.
smirk2.gif

If you want the info, YOU have to LOOK for it.

ANY car company is going to have issues. Vehicles are mechanical so somethings will happen when you are building millions of the #!@^ things.

But in true BITOG manner (well the last few years)

LET THE BASHING BEGIN!
36.gif

+1 Every once in a while I enjoy a good bashing thread!
cheers3.gif
35.gif

I made some nice money selling them. At the time their tranny's stunk, but over all they were good cars. Every automaker has their problems. As a whole I found Honda customers to be pretty loyal to their brand.

Well, looks like Honda is next in line for quality problems after Toyota.

On AutoBeef, 4 of the 6 worst cars in currently reported problems are Hondas:

New Accords are having rear brake (and other) issues, newer Civics are having cracked engine block issues and older Civics are still shelling automatic transmissions.

OK, so I clicked on the link and looked at the "#1 Problem" reported (by 706 people) of "premature brake wear" on a 2008 Accord. OK, let's drill down and look.

Average mileage: 25,300
Average repair cost: $210

Hardly an earth shattering condemnation. All the manufacturers have been skimping on brake pads and rotor thickness. I replaced the front pads on both of my 2006 vehicles at about 25,000 miles (a Saturn SUV and a Hemi Charger).

21.gif

They don't make them like they used to. Still love my Integra. Sure, it has its quirks and faults but it's still a blast. I never get sick of driving it.

Then, how is BITOG not a "troll" site?

It is, as it also is a "bash" and "Shill" site.
And I enjoy this immensely..

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I made some nice money selling them. At the time their tranny's stunk,

You made good money selling cars with "stinky" transmissions? Did you tell your customers they "stunk?" Or did you let them find out for themselves.

No wonder no one knows the real "story" about cars and their problems.

Hey, everyone knows about dex cool. I just did the LIM gaskets on my supercharged Regal Took just under 4 hours. I wouldn't trade it for anything with Timing belt!

Wow,

a meager 700 complaints over nearly 400,000 sold in 2008.

Sorry you need better statistics.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Well, looks like Honda is next in line for quality problems after Toyota.

On AutoBeef, 4 of the 6 worst cars in currently reported problems are Hondas:

OK, so I clicked on the link and looked at the "#1 Problem" reported (by 706 people) of "premature brake wear" on a 2008 Accord. OK, let's drill down and look.

Average mileage: 25,300
Average repair cost: $210

Hardly an earth shattering condemnation. All the manufacturers have been skimping on brake pads and rotor thickness. I replaced the front pads on both of my 2006 vehicles at about 25,000 miles (a Saturn SUV and a Hemi Charger).

21.gif

OK, look at this one -- 2003 Accords with transmission failures:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2003/transmission/transmission_failure.shtml

--typical repair cost: $2,420.00
--avg mileage: 84,651 miles
--total complaints: 212

Hmm... must just be their imagination or they didn't drink the koolaid.

I hate my Accord. Just turned 100,000 on it and I have a problem already..... One of the headlight bulbs has burnt out.... This car is costing me a fortune in parts...
19.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Hey, everyone knows about dex cool. I just did the LIM gaskets on my supercharged Regal Took just under 4 hours. I wouldn't trade it for anything with Timing belt!

This is a good point. Everyone has heard of the GM IMG problems. People who had the problem, or didn't even have the problem, would throw fits and yell, "GM junk!". A lot of these IMG made it close to 100k miles. Why is it you don't hear any complaints about Honda and other asian vehicles timing belts, valve adjustments, waterpump, ATs etc much?

I hate my '01 Honda civic. At 205k miles, it's on its second set of brake pads, and it's second battery! I've got a fortune in parts!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I made some nice money selling them. At the time their tranny's stunk,

You made good money selling cars with "stinky" transmissions? Did you tell your customers they "stunk?" Or did you let them find out for themselves.

No wonder no one knows the real "story" about cars and their problems.

I knew nothing about Honda cars, since I never owned one. I went into auto sales with no prior auto sales experience. I learned very fast, money is a great teacher and motivator. I learned of Honda problems while working for Honda. Overall they make a good car, their trannys stunk. So if someone asked I'd suggest an extended warranty. Most Honda shoppers came in buying Honda Quality, and though they were the greatest cars on 4 wheels. It was all about price, Hondas sold themselves.

Does any good salesman tell a customer anything negative about a product they're trying to sell? Sometimes if you are trying to upsell someone from a Civic to an Accord, but never ever bash the parent company. Typical upsell would be for a few more $$ you can have bigger more comfortable Accord, that was only if they were on the fence. Think about it. If you worked for Honda would you steer people across the street to Ford?

I DO think that from the early 80's until the early 90's Toyota, and Honda really did produce some of the most durable, and reliable products out there...They both began slipping in the mid 90s as they were begining to fall prey to the American style of management, which is cutting costs to the bone. caring LESS about their customer, and making maximal profit...this is when things started to go bad for them.

Originally Posted By: JakeR22
I hate my '01 Honda civic. At 205k miles, it's on its second set of brake pads, and it's second battery! I've got a fortune in parts!

So not a water pump or timing belt? Which is harder to do and cost more to do then my intake manifold gaskets.

Your normal maintenance probably cost more than it does to keep my 21 year old GM truck running and my 400 HP Trans Am racing.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

This is a good point. Everyone has heard of the GM IMG problems. People who had the problem, or didn't even have the problem, would throw fits and yell, "GM junk!". A lot of these IMG made it close to 100k miles. Why is it you don't hear any complaints about Honda and other asian vehicles timing belts, valve adjustments, waterpump, ATs etc much?

My neighbor always calls that stuff "Normal Maintenace"...Except for the water pump non of the cars I have now have ever needed that stuff.

OK, look at this one -- 2003 Accords with transmission failures:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2003/transmission/transmission_failure.shtml

--typical repair cost: $2,420.00
--avg mileage: 84,651 miles
--total complaints: 212

Hmm... must just be their imagination or they didn't drink the koolaid.

OK, so you've got 200 complaints out of a few hundred thousand sold and the average mileage was 84.6k miles. Annoying, but not statistically significant if you ask me. How about all those Saturn owners that got boned with VTi CVT transmissions that were failing sometimes within 10k miles of leaving the lot? GM didn't do squat for those people until they were dragged to court and only then agreed to fix broken units (with the SAME unit) up to 75k miles. Or how about the infamous side saddle gas tank explosions on GM pickups? Or as someone else mentioned the Dexcool debacle?

Spare me.

If it wasn't for the Japanese/Germans/Koreans taking market share away from the big 3, they'd still be foisting that junk on us. Perhaps they've finally hit bottom and can admit that "they had a problem" and clean up their act (on our dime...to add insult to injury).

21.gif

Originally Posted By: JakeR22

So not a water pump or timing belt? Which is harder to do and cost more to do then my intake manifold gaskets.

Your normal maintenance probably cost more than it does to keep my 21 year old GM truck running and my 400 HP Trans Am racing.

I can only speak of my own experience but my '02 Civic has had the following repair and maintenance in 158K:

-3 sets of tires
-5K OCI's with mostly GTX 5w-30
-Timing belt at 112K (I elected not to replace water pump)
-Front pads and rotors at 150K
-Air filter replaced/cleaned every 30K (k&n since 60K)
-Replaced tail light bulb

Thats it. I am seriously thinking about going back to orange Fram oil filters.

According to BITOG a Civic with dino oil, Fram oil filters, K@N air filter should implode shortly.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back