Autobahn Pileup

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUCH!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: 'BBC'
Police said the pile-up was believed to have been caused by a combination of heavy rain and excessive speed.

Keep wondering if they will eventually come around to setting a speed limit on the Autobahn.

Most sections of the Autobahn have speed limits. There are very few unrestricted sections any more AFAIK.

Was this accident on an unrestricted section?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Most sections of the Autobahn have speed limits.

If this is supposed top mean "posted speed limit," then you are wrong.

There is a general speed limit, which is independent of any posted speed limit: anything but a speed safe based on conditions is illegal. This means, if you drive at a speed to high or in a manner that is unsafe given the conditions, you can be ticketed, and, should you cause an accident, you will be at fault and liable.

Most stretches of the Autobahn do not have a posted speed limit. Accident-prone areas and mostly the multilane stretches near cities have either fixed or flexible posted speed limits. The latter adjust to the amount of traffic and to the current weather conditions.

The main reason for mass accidents like that one is people's inability to keep a safe distance to the car ahead of them. All it takes is one driver who is negligent.

A general speed limit will not eliminate the issue of mass accidents, since people will tailgate even more at lower speeds. Fatality rates would likely decrease, though.

In general, I still feel much safer going fast on the Autobahn compared to going slow in commuter traffic on a US freeway.

Mori, I stand corrected. Thanks.

This sounds like what I had been hearing, but I guess I misinterpreted:
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Most stretches of the Autobahn do not have a posted speed limit. Accident-prone areas and mostly the multilane stretches near cities have either fixed or flexible posted speed limits. The latter adjust to the amount of traffic and to the current weather conditions.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
See "SPEED KILLS"
smirk2.gif

I thought people always said speed doesn't kill, the sudden deceleration from speed (i.e. crashes) does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back