Auto-Rx vs. Seafoam Trans-Tune in PS Flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bottle of ARX coming now, and am using Seafoam Trans-Tune before dumping & dropping the Trans fluid. It seems both are indicated for a PS fluid flush ( mine is pretty filthy ).

My question is, has anyone used either and found one better than another? Im sure just a flush alone would work fine in my case, considering the condition of the current fluid.

Also, at the Sea-Foam website their instructions on a PS flush seem a bit confusing. Could someone verify the procedure? They say:

"To flush the power steering unit, drain power steering pump reservoir and fill the reservoir with 1/2 pint of SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE. Run engine to pump fluid through system for 15 to 30 minutes, turning the steering wheel from lock to lock every 5 minutes. This will dissolve varnish and suspend contaminants into the fluid.

Stop engine and drain fluid from reservoir placing the return line in drain pan. Cap reservoir. Disable ignition. Turn engine over with starter and run 1 1/2 pints of SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE through power steering reservoir to flush system of all contamination. Then flush system with power steering fluid.
After flush is completed refill reservoir with new power steering fluid."

So basically after you drive for 13-30mins, you disconnect the PS return line ( the thicker hose? ) and put it into a drain pan, but the "disable ignition" and "turn engine over with starter".. so you are just cranking the engine? Will the PS unit draw from the reservoir just by cranking the engine? I don't understand why they DON'T want the engine running during the final flushes??
confused.gif

Would just adding a couple of tablespoons of ARX to exisiting PS fluid and then complete flush do the same job? I'd ask over that the ARX forums, but they are down ( for 4 days now
frown.gif
).

quote:

Originally posted by NorthIL:

So basically after you drive for 13-30mins, you disconnect the PS return line ( the thicker hose? ) and put it into a drain pan, but the "disable ignition" and "turn engine over with starter".. so you are just cranking the engine? Will the PS unit draw from the reservoir just by cranking the engine? I don't understand why they DON'T want the engine running during the final flushes??
confused.gif

...so you don't spray PS fluid everywhere and blame SeaFoam. Running on start only keeps the pressure down.

Craig.

It would seem to me that a simple dose of 1 ounce per quart of fluid capacity with ARX would be the way to go. Drive the required mileage, then drain and refill. How simple is that. Use the cleaning/lubricity abililities of ARX to do the work while you drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back