Auto-RX Shocker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my 99 Prizm 1 month ago after much searching. It was very hard to find a Toyota with a really clean looking oil cap. This one had some varnish and 112K (not bad for here). So I went about baselining it. tune up oil change and Auto-RX.

After 1k I added half a quart. no problem. I've put another 700 miles figuring I'd change it this weekend. Just happened to check oil. None on dipstick!! I immediately added a quart. I figure I was down a full quart and a half.

I changed it today and I am wondering what to make of all this. Is this kind of oil consumption normal with ARX?

As long as you're not leaking it I wouldn't get too excited. Even if I was leaking ..I wouldn't get too excited until after I was done. If it's a lame/damaged seal ..nothing can be done for that outside of replacement.

The transitional consumption should pass. You should probably do the over 100k treatment ..but you might get away with just one application.

Don't get too excited if you hear a few odd ticks and clacks during the rinse phase. That too should pass. If not, then you need one more treatment. These are typical observations. It's hard to refer to them as "normal".

This is interesting. I've noticed on at least 2 of my vehicles that there was quite a bit of oil consumption during the ARX clean phase. I'm starting to think this might be common on higher mileage engines. Not sure what the reason for the oil consumption, but I bet other people have seen the same thing.

To clarify I bought the car on 8/20. That same day I ordered 4 bottles from Frank. So about 9/2 I put ARX in with 3.5 quarts castrol GTX 10/30 and a supertech filter. I really rack on the miles commuting to work. (450+/week). It's mostly highway. I'm doing 3000 to 3500 RPM on my 3speed automatic. I did notice that little filter was pretty heavy when I took it off.

Expect results after rinse phase is completely done. Small filters need to be checked and perhaps changed when excessive oil burning pops up.Than just top off oil and finish application.

If the filter clogs, it can lead to oil consumption. It was explained to me that the filter goes into "by-pass" mode which then allows oil to seep past the rings. I am not entirely sure, but I know that I had a similar problem after going to Amsoil.

The engine started using oil within 2000 miles, and the engine never used oil before, so I did some research and saw that it is sometimes best to replace the filter and top off. Well 2000 more miles after filter replacement and not one drop of oil was missing from the dispstick.

Finish up your rinse cycle, and perhaps do another clean and rinse cycle. Your consumption should diminish if it is due to excessive deposits clogging the filter.

It is quite possible that deposits down in the crank or pan area was dissolved and dumped into the oil filter, creating greater pan volume capacity.

Rick,

Even if your oil pan displacement theory was correct, the crud now in the oil filter would have displaced the oil in the filter back to the oil pan, so net result would be zero volume change.

CT, I don't see the connection between a bypassed oil filter and rings. They are mutually exclusive.

On a rinse, it won't hurt anything to change the filter mid-cycle. Usually, a fresh filter can get through the cycle. But you certainly don't want a clogged filter running in bypass.

If you have a tiny filter and/or suspect a particularly dirty crankcase, it gives you peace of mind, and you don't mind the added expense, go for it.

Here's another tidbit of info. I've run the rinse phase for about 250 miles (they pile up fast for me!) I just noticed some soot on my rear bumper. Evidently some carbon or something is getting blown out the exhaust. Something is definitely happening.

You might want to think about an oversized filter such as the Purolator L14477 or PL14477(PureOne)(Wix 51396) for its 1/2" taller size. If you have some space around the circumference of the stock filter, then try the L22821 or PL22821 (Wix 51391). These have a 1/2" longer diameter and are 1" taller. More capacity is a good thing! Bypass pressures shouldn't be a problem either. Hope this helps.

I have read other Corolla owners of that year using a lot of oil. They had some bad oil control rings for a few years from what I read.

Here are a few forums reporting the problem:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/corolla/70338-2000-corolla-piston-oil-control-rings/

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t154098.html

Very interesting, in searching I saw a lot of references to Auto-RX or BITOG.
smile.gif
Makes one proud to be part of this forum.

run another cycle of Auto-RX....clean and rinse

if you still have oil consumption issues of more than 1 qt per 1k miles, switch to a HDEO 5w40 such as Rotella year around for long term cleaning

change out PCV and thermostat to rule these out of the oil consumption loop

Perhaps the oil is too thin and is being consumed, that's the why others are recommending 5w-40. HDEO is Heavy Duty Engine Oil, if I'm not mistaken.

I still believe that after you finish up your clean and rinse phases, the consumption will go back to normal. So for now, stick with the oil you were previously using. If you haven't already, change your PCV valve.

Quote:

You might want to think about an oversized filter such as the Purolator L14477 or PL14477(PureOne)(Wix 51396) for its 1/2" taller size. If you have some space around the circumference of the stock filter, then try the L22821 or PL22821 (Wix 51391). These have a 1/2" longer diameter and are 1" taller. More capacity is a good thing! Bypass pressures shouldn't be a problem either. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a BITOGER friend nearby and he kindly gave me a Motorcraft FL-400S filter from his stash. He also has the 1ZZFE and it fits. It is about 1/2 inch bigger in diameter and a full 2 inches longer. I put a supertech in but I will change it this weekend and top it off. Just for piece of mind.

Corection: That reads "peace" of mind where's the edit function? LOL

I put out an OP about baselining this car. I mentioned "the consensus is that I went into by bypass mode with the tiny oil filter and started burning oil there after. I'll have to wait to go through rinse and repeat. So we will wait and see."
One suggestion was using Seafoam to clean the combustion chamber. I may do that afterward or use the chemtool like BrianWC has described. As yet undecided.

I do want to arrest a valve cover leak. After 2 ARX cycles, I will change the gasket and see where I stand with the varnish.
Maybe take some PICs too.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back